Academic Year 19/20 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Lord Kril, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I knew Pensky somewhat a while back and he just looks miserable to me. His interviews are sometimes painful to watch. Could it be he would rather take some pressure off and find more balance in his life? When your own kids start playing soccer, that changes your perspective an awful lot. Lots of very good coaches not in P5 and at smaller colleges. Most are likely pretty happy I'd guess.

2. Branko Segota

Branko Segota Member

Feb 24, 2003
    #1277 Branko Segota, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Yeah I get that, but Greg was last the HC back in 2017 and his AC came in from Arizona State. What is the Miami connection? Prior to that it was Dean Duerst. Both Greg and Dean are fine men, so if the AC you speak of is a dirt bag - not sure who you are referencing here.

3. First Time Finish

Nov 4, 2016
    Tom Anagnost became the volunteer under Greg Ryan after he was fired from Miami

4. bulge-in-the-net

bulge-in-the-net New Member

Aug 31, 2009
    As above clearly Tennessee was a relatively strong program before Pensky. I think if Bunny Shaw (big fan) hadn't come into Pensky's world he may have had trouble securing the second (third?)contract. Looks like Tennessee under performed again this year. But that doesn't seem like enough to terminate a contract mid term. What do you mean regarding ethics issues?
    But then it could be his wife's job or something whatever that he thinks is worth $50k to forfeit his current contract. If he really did interview at Penn then he should be a shoo in given the listed competition. Still a head scratcher for me.

5. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    Maybe it is because, relatively speaking, the banks of Schuylkill River smell a lot better than the Nyland Drive Knoxville waste water treatment plant.

6. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    If true, Smart of Pensky, and he can renegotiate his contract to get paid more(even if it’s a small amount as coaches do this all the time). He has nothing to lose, rather everything to gain by speaking with other schools

7. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I don't know anything about him, but based on his wife's background (according to a previous poster), and his history at Maryland, the geography makes sense for an interest in Penn. He has also been at UT for quite awhile. Could be looking for a fresh start, after his superstar (Shaw) graduated.

8. Louisvillereferee

Real Madrid
    United States
    Apr 11, 2017
    Pensky is not leaving TN. I can only assume he was just listening but not ready to leave until his contract is up.

L'orange repped this.
  9. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    So, that leaves Casey Brown. Congrats!

Brown is in her fourth season as head coach of the Crusaders. After being picked to finish eighth in the preseason poll, Brown led the team to a second-place finish, its highest in the regular season since 2000, a berth in the Patriot League Tournament for the first time in 19 years, and a bye to the semifinals. The team's 14 league points are the most ever in program history. Holy Cross went on a 10-game unbeaten streak this year, tied for the program's second longest ever in a single-season.

At 5-3-8 and 3-1-5 in league play, the Crusaders currently have the fewest losses ever in a single-season in program history and are tied for the fewest ever in Patriot League games. With signature conference wins over Navy, Boston University, and most recently a 3-0 shutout of Bucknell, Brown has the Crusaders primed for postseason competition.

Fitballer repped this.
  10. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If Brown gets Penn she will be bringing in an overall record of 17-35-14 in her four years at Holy Cross. Crazy that she won Patriot League COY with just 5 wins this past season. 5-3-8 season may be the wackiest record I have ever seen. If Nick gets it she would have an overall record of 32-30-8 and won her COY during an 11-win season in 2018 within her four years at NJIT. Knows the area well from her time at La Salle as well.

On a different note I’d be interested in hearing from other posters if you know of any other high level athletics administrators similar to Rudy Fuller at Penn. He had to be the reason why Pensky is even on the radar. We can complain and whine about bad hires in our sport but that’s going to be the case if we don’t fill in athletics administrations with soccer backgrounds. Anyone know of anyone else other than Fuller with a soccer background in athletic administration?

11. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    Pine Bluff update, alumni not in the mix anymore I was told, she already has a good full time job in Dallas. But a D-2 coach from Oklahoma who had some success there is apparently the front runner. We'll see if he takes it.

12. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    Shawn Flynn (Assoc Athletic Director) at UMD is a big soccer guy, owns a DA club in Baltimore
    Stephanie Ransom (SWA, CFO) at UGA is a former All-American player
    Carleigh Collins (Compliance Director) at ULL is a former college player

Just a couple I could think of off the top of my head. Def not many out there

Hammers05 repped this.
  13. TMark77

TMark77 New Member

NJ Skyblue
    United States
    Nov 21, 2018
  14. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
  15. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    Lol, how does Penn choose a coach that has a career head coaching record of 17-35 with one season of .500 soccer, excuse me, one game above .500 as her crowning achievement? Yet again, another silly hire that begs to ask, were there not a lot more successful candidates out there who applied? The answer would be yes I imagine their were. And then the obvious, why are HR and search committees overlooking experienced successful coaches, for ones that haven't had any proven success, ie this hire. One trip to.a playoff game in career, a loss. Averaging in her career 4 wins per season. Welp, I'm spent. Great hire.

16. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014

She was probably the more inexpensive alternative!

17. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

It’s good to know that if I win 5 games this fall I can get a better job!

ping and Footyballs repped this.
  18. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    It does seem a bit of a weird hire. Maybe she's a good coach but I think the best that can be said about her record at Holly Cross is that she made the team less bad that it had been for years--and maybe significantly less bad, which is a crazy phrase but perhaps one that fits a coach who turned a lot of past losses into ties, and did it with players recruited by the previous coach, by and large.

I read the other day that a lot of Ivy League coaches are now paid through endowments established by wealthy benefactors. In the case of Penn, some well-heeled contributor recently ponied up $1.5 million, as I recall, for the soccer program, which is being used to pay the coach and for other unstated purposes. I don't think the article said whether the endowments are used entirely to pay coaches or just partially, but apparently this has become a common practice in the Ivy League in a variety of sports. Maybe some of you here knew this, but it was news to me.

19. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017

This is another example of gender bias. A guy would never get this job with this type of record as a head coach.

20. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    No, they get Oklahoma.

21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, from 2007 through 2012, when the Patriot League had 8 teams, Holy Cross finished 7th or 8th every year. From 2013 through 2015, before she arrived, when the League had 10 teams, they finished 7th once and 8th twice. Her first three years, they finished 8th, 7th, 8th. Her fourth year, not yet all her own player plus the lag of recruiting, they finished 2nd.

How many who applied for or wanted the job could have achieved that?

I'm not arguing that makes her qualified for the job or the best of those available, but it's certainly a consideration. An AD at one of the premiere football schools in the country has said that one of the things you look for in hiring a head football coach is a person who has overachieved with their current school's program.

22. CASLKING

CASLKING Member

Houston dash
    United States
    May 20, 2018
    Holy Cross to Penn is going up - a better resume needed.

national team coach to Oklahoma is going down - failed at higher level and moves to a lower level to try and succeed and rebuild.

many examples of D1 coaches for example who get fired for failing at the level and going down to D2 and having success, maybe even getting back to D1.

the Oklahoma hire cannot be compared to the Holy Cross hire. Getting a national team coaching position is not something everyone can achieve, I believe you are comparing apples and oranges.

This theory is applied at every level...certain coaches reach a high level and can’t cut it, go back to a lower division or standard and are a success.

23. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    What a pathetic spin job caslking. Oklahoma is a power 5 job, that was certainly desirable. The new coach was a failure as a head coach at the NCAA Division I level prior to his national team job. The national teams have historically been filled with fired college coaches (see Matt Potter being hired this year after being fired from Oklahoma). So yeah, it doesn't take much other than connections to get those national team jobs.

The Penn hire is someone who improved a Division I program, something the Oklahoma coach has failed to do. She has a better college resume than he does.

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Name 3 at the D1 level if you want to validate your theory.

25. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

What were both their college coaching records as head coaches? Does anyone have them? I’m just asking as I haven’t looked.