Academic Year 19/20 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Lord Kril, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Fitballer

Fitballer Member

Mar 6, 2015
    I usually don't post on here, I read and like reading different opinions on many things on this site. However, I feel a strong need to step in here.

The statement above is actually the reason that ADS need to be aware of hiring females. About 30/40 years ago no-one wanted female doctors or lawyers or pilots etc and if practices were not put in place to get them jobs we would likely still be there today.

I think that the fact that these young women will say that they want to be coached by men and not we want to be coached by the best person for this job shows that we are still living in a society which is far easier to be a male in.

I think that this discussion while interesting should be moved to a different board though.

ytrs repped this.
  2. Ucoro17

Ucoro17 New Member

Portland Thorns
    Spain
    Jan 27, 2020
    This man never should coach women’s soccer again. From what I’ve heard he said “I will break your f*****g leg” in front of the entire team. Made inappropriate sexual comments and gestures to his players, grabbed a girl and left a bruise on her, etc. it took an alumni coming back and stirring things up in athletics to give the soccer team legitimate hope for their season next year. The program went from being in a swac championship in 2016 to not having a coach for the fifth time going into 2020. Terrible.

3. BreakfastBlend

BreakfastBlend Red Card

Ajax
    United States
    Feb 11, 2020

Wow. I once heard the Wisconsin coach yell “Son of a bitch” in reference to one of her players and, while not appropriate, pales in comparison to anything that coach said. Just wow. Threatening a player will get you canned. Listening to Taylor Swift is salvation.

Footyballs repped this.
  4. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Shouldn’t that be ‘daughter of a b***h’!!!!!! Funny as I could see her saying that.

Paula says a lot of crazy things and that isn’t news. Some things these days are probably borderline but hey she gets the job done!

5. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    The coaches at NC State also knew, it wasn't just the Michigan coach. What took place at Miami will surface.

6. OGSoccerCoach

OGSoccerCoach Member

May 11, 2017
  7. TMark77

TMark77 New Member

NJ Skyblue
    United States
    Nov 21, 2018
    UPenn will be one of the following; Nick (NJIT), Brown (HolyX), Pensky (Tnsee). All three interviewed and connected to the school in some way. Stay Tuned.

Footyballs and Fitballer repped this.
  8. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Any idea regarding timing for Penn? It’s been open since January 4. Can’t imagine getting candidates to come in and making a hire anytime soon is going to be easy.

I could see Nick or Brown getting the gig. They each had 1 good year in their 4-year head coaching stints which is more than some of the other female hires this year.

9. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Wait, Penky? Why would he leave Tenn for Penn?

10. PoptartKing

PoptartKing Member

Feb 11, 2020
    I don't know his connections to U Penn but that would be a crazy jump for him

11. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    It's not Penn but, more so, he's running from his conscience. It's what happens when your ethics gauge is on empty.

12. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017

In what way?

13. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Meaning what? I just read his bio and see no connection to Penn--didn't go to school there, hasn't coached there. Can't imagine him leaving Tennessee for Penn unless there are unusual circumstances.

14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His wife went to Colgate, then to grad schools at Columbia and Johns Hopkins. It looks like her family is from the Baltimore/DC area. They have three kids. I don't think Knoxville is for everyone. It's at least reasonable to wonder if they'd like to be closer to "home."

Hammers05, PoptartKing and ping repped this.
  15. bulge-in-the-net

bulge-in-the-net New Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Do you know how many years are left on his contract? You seem to know quite a bit. If he has years left and he is interviewing, then he must think that Tennessee will let him out of it. They will only let him out of it if they want him out and/or they told him to start looking...if that's the case then there probably is some issue.
    If his contract is ending (although odd time of year to be interviewing) then maybe it's desired relocation prompting his action (assuming his interviewing is even true).

16. Branko Segota

Branko Segota Member

Feb 24, 2003
    Am I missing something here? Isn't the entire WSOC staff at Michigan female? Jennifer Klein (HC); TIFFANY HANSEN (AC); KATIE HULTIN (AC) and HOLLY HEIN (V-AC)?

17. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Just signed a contract extension last January which doesn't run out until the beginning of 2022. As of right Pensky is earning $170,000, can't image Penn would pay anything close to that.

http://tennessee.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Brian-Pensky-soccer.pdf

ping repped this.
  18. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    It would cost him $50k to get out of his own contract until Jan 2021

ping repped this.
  19. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    It seems an unusual trio of finalists for the Penn job, if the report is true: I confess I'd never heard of the New Jersey Institute of Technology, and then Holy Cross has won 5 games each of the last two years and was even worse before that, I think--correct me if wrong. It's of course possible that Pensky and/or his wife is looking for a lifestyle change, but Penn, though an outstanding school with a strong soccer program, would be a significant career downshift in salary, facilities, competition, etc.--and one wonders how he'd be feeling in, say, three/four years. Maybe then try to segue back to a bigger program again? They do play some good soccer in the Ivy League. I was getting ready to say that Penksy might not be fulfilled beating Brown every year, then checked (thankfully) and saw that the mighty Bears had an excellent year--won the Ivy League, tied Texas A&M, made the NCAA tourney and lost to FSU, 2-0, in the second round! (Cornell, winless in the league, would have been a better choice!) And wasn't it Yale that beat UNC in the tourney a couple of years ago? As a Vol fan I'd hate to lose him as he's an excellent recruiter. The current coach at Vandy came from Penn and has done a good job with the Commodores.

ping repped this.
  20. bulge-in-the-net

bulge-in-the-net New Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Hmm pay 50k to almost certainly earn less?? He could probably wait a year or two and retake his Maryland job. Just sayin...he's in the middle of a contract that wasn't his first; hard to imagine that they didn't consider the location before he reupped. Something doesn't add up: Two coaches that haven't had a sniff at an NCAA and a third who has made it pretty far.

And it was Princeton who beat UNC

Footyballs, L'orange and ping repped this.
  21. TMark77

TMark77 New Member

NJ Skyblue
    United States
    Nov 21, 2018
    Randy Fuller (UPenn Senior Associate AD) pursued Pensky. There is a past connection between the two. Not sure how far it has gone but Pensky spoke to the school about the job and was one of the final 3 in some random order of preference. Supposedly Job offer has been accepted this past week by a candidate and will be announced soon.

Hammers05 and L'orange repped this.
  22. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Yes you are. The previous HC was male. Jen Klein is a recent hire.

23. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Maybe Pensky's wife has a job opportunity in the Penn area. Family matters in these decisions.

Footyballs repped this.
  24. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Rudy Fuller was the long time men’s soccer coach at Penn and was an assistant for the men at Georgetown before that. Would have crossed paths with Pensky while Pensky was down the road as an assistant with the Maryland men. So can definitely see how a connection could have been forged there. Fuller would be one of the very few upper athletics administrators with a soccer background and would actually know what he’s doing within this sport. Still would be surprised Pensky would consider leaving an SEC program he built up for an Ivy. May be using this as an opportunity to get Tennessee to up his salary? Tennessee has to negotiate with him a couple times to pull him away from Maryland, would think they could up the $ again to keep him as he’s done well there.

25. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    SEC program that he built?

AK made NCAAT 10 of 13 seasons, 4 SEC titles and 7 seasons of 12+ wins. BP is 3 of 8 seasons in NCAAT, 0 SEC titles and only 3 seasons of 12+ wins. AK had better winning % in SEC and overall.

Not sure Tennessee will do anything to keep him. And why would they?

ytrs and bulge-in-the-net repped this.