Academic Year 19/20 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Lord Kril, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I think uconn is just affected by all the conference realignment. The American Conference isn't quite as attractive to a recruit as the old Big East was. I don't think we will see any of their sports have the success they use to have

2. MFF1910

MFF1910 Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Though much of that recent success happened as an AAC team. They’re headed back to BE next year, does that buy more time?

3. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Except South Florida has gotten significantly better since they’ve joined the AAC so to me that’s just an excuse.

4. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    UConn will stick by their coach for a few more years but they are getting worse. Coaches are talking and some of the programs that have played them
    Have said this is the weakest team they’ve seen in years. Not hot right now though.

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UConn's slide first appeared in the stats in 2017, the year before she arrived. There's no question the slide appears to have continued, although this year may end up about the same as last year.

6. SoccerDadFromPA

SoccerDadFromPA New Member

PA Classics
    Germany
    Oct 7, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And UCF just cracked the top 25. 3 or 4 teams in or near the top 25 in the AAC now with SMU on the rise.

7. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thoughts on the University of Houston? Seems like it should be getting warm.

8. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ordinarily I would say maybe it would take a year or two more but with some of the off the field issues, would think it has to be moderately wrong.

With new recruiting rules really taking shape over the course of the next few years, I wonder if it will expedite at all some admin expectations at P5 or G5 schools.

9. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I would think Iowa State might be getting a little bit warm. just dropped to 0-4 in conference losing to Kansas State tonight. only really has 1 decent year since taking over

10. gkrock1996

gkrock1996 New Member

Manchester City
    Germany
    Oct 11, 2019
    Yea, Iowa state coach contract up in early December. Has not produced at all despite having good talent on the team. I've watched the last few games and they don't play a good brand of soccer. No possession style and rely on the old give and go hoping their fast forwards will score. Won't get you very far playing this way and his record shows. His seat should be very hot!

11. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    At this point if the season it’s typically a bad situation when when you are one of 64 Power 5 programs not to crack the top 100 RPI (Georgia Tech being the one P5 not to carry women’s soccer).

Some programs I can understand, especially if they have new or somewhat new hires in a rebuild. Miami 131, Pitt 156, and Syracuse 201 come to mind. While LSU 130 made the tournament last year they had a number of players graduate or transfer so could say they are in a rebuild too after Lee left. Kansas State 145 I could see still building with Dibbini in his 4th year of taking the task of building a D1 program.

Iowa State is currently at 181. Decent 2016 season but wouldn’t be surprised if more is expected in Minnata’s sixth season there. Kentucky 158 has been brought up on this board more than a few times, Curry does have a contract until 2020 but they could eat up that year before that if they care and want to make a move sooner. Minnesota 138 is having a really down year but typically are a top 50 program so that may just be a one off. Michigan State 135 has been discussed here on numerous occasions as well but looks like they’re waiting for 29-year coach and MSU alum Saxon to retire on his own terms, they haven’t done much since 2011. Ohio State 124 has been a deep disappointment at 4-7-2. Typically a top 50 RPI program and went to the Tournament last year, which should be minimal expectations for a program with such name recognition and one of the top 3 athletic program budgets in America. Walker has a contract until 2021. Typically not spoken well of by former players or staff.

Agree that AAC program UConn not great either at 157. New coach there as well with Rodriguez taking over for Tsantiris who was there for 37 years. But only has a two year deal so has to get results this year (which isn’t happening) and in 2020.

12. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    question for the group. . .If you are the AD at a power 5 program and you fired your head coach at the end of this season, who would you be going after to replace the position? What Power 5 assistants would be on your short list? Head coaches at mid majors that would be on your radar, or take a chance on a coach outside of D1?

13. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    How many of the P5 schools can really keep the ball against other P5 schools. Like move it from one side to the other multiply times? 4-5 of them?

14. SnapperG

SnapperG New Member

Manchester City
    Brazil
    Dec 28, 2018
    Based on what I have seen the past three or four seasons the best coaches in D2 include:

Jeff Hosler (Grand Valley)
    Chris Hennessy (Lee)
    Sian Hudson (UCCS)
    Jay Entlich (Columbus State)
    Matt Procopio (Millersville)
    Gary Higgins (Lenoir Rhyne)
    Joe Bartlinski (West Florida)
    Lewis Theobald (Central Missouri)
    Magnus Nilerud (Bridgeport)
    Sean Fraser (Lincoln Memorial)
    Eric Burstein (Kutztown)
    Alicia Schuck (Rollins)

Not suggesting any of these are available/looking just throwing names into the fire

I would also suggest the coaches at UCSD and Bellarmine but both schools making the move to Division 1 soon

15. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    the coach at UCSD? What has she done? She just inherited a good team. Let's see if she can maintain it over time.

USsoccerguy repped this.
  16. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017

17. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    #92 FutbolFan15, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    You would be correct! Towson has lost every game in their conference so far this season. 12 goals against and 2 for! SMH! KV has proven that she is in over her head!

18. Lovethegsme

Lovethegsme New Member

Nov 8, 2018
    UConn with a very good weekend beating SMU and Houston.

19. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The UCONN win vs. SMU is a good one.

Houston (3-11) goes down to a very average UCONN team, and a really poor Temple team over the weekend. Temple is on the hot seat, not sure why Houston wouldn't be at this point.

20. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I would think the seat at Houston is getting a little warm. More so for the off the field issues that happened. pair those with these results and its got to be an uncomfortable seat

21. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Do the poor results allow admin to fire DB and basically hope the other stuff goes away with him out the door, or do they prefer to fire for cause for the off field stuff so they don't have to pay him out?

22. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I think they are treading lightly for the firing with cause as it’s a lawsuit if he is found to have done nothing wrong.

Any names that would make sense for Iowa State?

23. AZ House

AZ House New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Oct 19, 2019
    After this last weekend, I think Graham Winkworth, ASU Coach should be on the hot seat if he isn’t already. Although this is only his 3rd year at the school, I think he is already proving he is not ready for this level of play. When he came in 3 years ago, he had a fairly stocked roster of very good Southern California girls, top AZ girls and some promising CA and AZ commitments. His first order of business was to drive all the CA girls out, and bring in his foreign players. Now the girls he brought in are good to very good with a couple of exceptional players. Problem is that I’m sure he pissed off the Southern California clubs that were supplying the players. It now appears that he has almost zero relationship with any of those clubs (it doesn’t help that the former coach KB is now at one of the biggest so cal clubs.). He also sunk all his money into these foreign players essentially putting all his eggs in one basket. For last year he brought in 18 and it appears at least 8 and maybe more were cut/transferred or are just no longer on the roster. This year he brought in another 11 or 12. Almost all are non impact players. I’m sure many more cuts are coming.

So it appears he has no more Top west coast talent coming, but he doesn’t care. By his roster and recruiting efforts, he appears to be going all foreign. Now this isn’t a bad thing if they can play good soccer. But I have difficulty now watching the games. He talks about possession constantly and that is the furthest thing from his style of play. I see more passes completed to the opposing team. Especially from the Defenders to the opposing teams defenders. The soccer is ugly. He has some standouts like the German Forward and Delgado the Center Mid. Unfortunately they skip over delgado most of the time. This guy also appears to have an aversion to substitutions. Why carry a roster of 34 when you are going to play 11. Sometimes 13 or 14 max. Are your bench players so bad that you would rather have dog tired forwards and mids at the end of the match rather than keeping them fresh and spelling them from time to time? Maybe they are? If that is true then that is his fault along with his coaching staff. I cringe when he talks about needing to do a better job holding possession when they have never even tried to play that style since he has been there.

Now this season, he appeared to be possibly turning a corner. That was until they started playing teams who were competitive. They play an extremely weak preseason. So it does nothing to help them during league play. He was previously at Alabama South and North where he found fit girls who worked harder and ran longer then their weak completion. He had some marquee wins and thought he could come to the varsity level. In the PAC 12, He still tries to play with that same mentality replacing skill and IQ with athleticism, fitness and an ability to kick the ball really far. It’s obviously not working. And it appears he is clueless to the fact is isn’t working. In his postgame interviews he makes excuses and always seems to diminish what the other team did by talking about how we were unlucky or how we had better shots. My favorite was when he said this after the WSU game when they were outshot something like 27 to 7. Or how during the USC game how the game was close and they were unlucky to get a result when USC held possession for almost 90% of the match. Not sure if this makes the sting of another loss hurt less or if he is truly clueless.

Now they find them selves in the cellar of the PAC 12. And with no fix in sight, (no top recruits committed, no money, California pipeline seemingly closed, and a roster full of players he finds unworthy to give a starter a blow) Graham Winkworth definitely should be on the hot seat.

24. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017

Won’t be hot for at least a couple more years. Solid conference performance last season will help him and he’s only been there a few years. I would say if they are struggling in two years time the seat will be hot. ASU not hot right now and won’t be for some time.

25. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    You are describing 30-40 P5 programs regarding style of play. Was asu winning championships prior to him getting the job? Why stay with 3rd, 4th tier CA talent then?

outsiderview repped this.