AC Milan official transfer, rumor, and speculation thread 7

Discussion in 'AC Milan' started by Cassano, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borriello

Borriello New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Jamaica
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Bonera or Digao??? Why would Bonera, an accomplished defender with good positioning who can play multiple positions, be compared to Digao, who is probably the worst soccer player in the Serie A?

What I don't understand is why Bonera doesn't get much respect on these boards... He's not a superstar, but he's perfect coming off as a subsitute, he's decent on the sides and in my opinion, a very good defender who has a lot of grinta (toughness).

2. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Mian's midfield is stacked so it makes sense but its still a shame. Apparently Abate is one of the fastest young Italian players in circulation today - something that appeals to me alot.

3. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    agree. always been a bonera sympathizer myself...

4. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah, agree, bonera ain't great, but he is many times better than digao imho.

as for chiellini or gamberini...I wish, but if zapata is too expenisve at udine, those two will be too expensive as well.

If that breno rumor is true, and say in january he is still really unsettled at bayern, that might not be a bad move, to try and get him on the cheap, maybe even "trade" oddo if they are still interested and zambrotta has settled well.

5. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never compared Bonera to Digao. I compared Bonera and Digao to Ambrosini. Bonera may be a good substitute but he is not good enough to be a Milan regular. The point is if Nesta were to get injured do you really feel a Bonera/Kaladze partnership is good enough? Personally, I'd feel more comfortable if Ambrosini were to move back to defense over Bonera starting. With Maldini only playing occasionally and Nesta injury prone we could be in trouble this year. KaPaRo will need to score a shitload of goals for us to overcome the loss of Nesta.

6. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    you mean "would need"...right? has serious has his injury been confirmed to be?

7. Borriello

Borriello New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Jamaica
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I really don't know how much better Ambrosini is defensively compared to Bonera, considering that that's Daniele's natural position... Ambrosini is a midfielder, he has decent technical abilities, and his elite aerial skills wouldn't be featured nearly as much if he did play as a centreback.. It's just not going to happen.

As for a Kaladze-Bonera partnership, it's still better than almost every Serie A's defensive tandems. And it's not like were in the Champions League this year anyways so - If Nesta were to get injured, I wouldn't panic because I know Bonera would fill in admirably.

Also we have Flamini and Gattuso/Ambrosini helping to defend, so if something DID happen to Nesta, it's not as if we'll have incompetent defenders filling the void.

8. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galliani said it isn't serious. But he also said, at this same point last year, that Ronaldo's injury wasn't serious and look how that turned out. Regardless, it's not a good sign when a player gets hurt in preseason. He will be playing catchup the rest of the year to get in shape.

9. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going on last season's form. Kaladze had his worst season in a Milan shirt last year. And as I said earlier I don't rate Bonera as a good defender. Put the two together and it has disaster written all over it.

10. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
  11. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah kaladze didnt have the best year and bonera did better when played as a right back than center back but not many of our players were having an exceptional year either... i think kaladze having average form was just exponentially worsened by the fact that our midfield werent able to help him much and he was playing in front of didastro or kalamity.. but bonera and kaladze is still a better centerback partnership than pretty much all but the top 4 teams...

and seeing as the ka-pa-ro trident is potentially the best attack in serie a, it should even out...

kaladze wasnt helped much by his team mates last year and i expect him to revert to his original form this year... and i would most definatly rather see bonera in central defence than ambro...

12. Borriello

Borriello New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Jamaica
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How about best attack in the world?

13. Chowbay10

Chowbay10 Red Card

Apr 4, 2008
    Maryland
    Pato is gonna need to whole is end of the bargain first.

14. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i would say that but we arent playing in cl next year so i thought it wasnt really relevant and we dont need a bunch of man utd/(insert random big club name here) fan boys get their panties in a bunch on this board...

15. Kufibear

Kufibear New Member

May 7, 2007
    Holland
    Bonera-Kaladze isnt the duo we want as our central defenders.
    Of course Bonera got better on the end of last season,but he improved mostly in his skills as a back going forward,he's still not a great defender imo.
    And u never know it with Kaladze,he can be great,and he can make a huge mistake.
    Added to that,we dont have a top-keeper in our team,so that would be a bit too much risk.
    If they think Nesta isnt a sure thing because of injuries,they should go after another CB for sure.

16. Kufibear

Kufibear New Member

May 7, 2007
    Holland
    Yeah but i thought we were trying to top the table this year?
    We need a centre that can hold back the top4 teams,i dont wanna sit with sweaty palms everytime the opponent is on the attack,like i did last year sometimes.
    We need players who are a 'sure thing' like Nesta,not people 'who will do'.

17. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Bonera is solid, not great. I think he is good back-up
    or a great at spot starts.

18. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah, but like i said, that is compensated for having potentially the best attack in serie a... also, the scudetto is won against the little teams, not against the top four teams...

well, we do have nesta... to have a back up nesta thats as good as nesta just in case he is injured when we play the top four is a bit too much to ask for... bonera and kaladze are more than capable as the third cb pairing...

lets be honest, the only way they both start against the top four is if both maldini and nesta are injured... to want a defender as good as those two when they go out is just practically impossible... in fact, i might go ahead and say that bonera is the best fourth choice center back in serie a... where else are you going to find a defender that will probably start for all except the top four teams in serie a ready to be fourth choice for you, simply because he was a milan fan for a long time and would rather sit on our bench than play elsewhere...

plus, he actually isnt a bad defender at all, the few games we needed him to step in he did so wonderfully and made no fuss when taken out... he is a bit of a hack, however...

and we all sat with sweaty palms when the opposition attacked, not because of our cb pairing but more so because we had didastro and kalamity in front of goal... some credit to kalac, coz he did do much much better than dida did...

also, lets look at our record against top four last year... lost to roma twice and juve once, beat inter and fiorentina once, drew against juve and fiorentina...

the loss against inter falls squarely on didastro... against juve it was a rollercoaster ride, and towards the end we were hurt by bonera's red card (so there is a legit argument for you there)(it doesnt help that juve got some bullshit freekick from a maldini challenge).... roma i dont remember the first game and the second game kalac was beaten at the near post too easily... but these games, we werent outclassed, but they were more often than not decided by incidents... and incidents can happen regardless of who is on the field...

hopefully with abbiati, there will be fewer goalkeeping errors and with flamini our midfield does a better job shielding our defence...

19. Borriello

Borriello New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Jamaica
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What amuses me is how no one really mentions how essentially the LONE reason we were in fifth place was due to our disgraceful goalkeeper situation. Dida cost us at least 12 points. Kalac had a few paperas along the way as well, and is the reason we lost to Fabregas' soft shot in the Champions League.

If we had Buffon, is there any arguing we would have been an AUTOMATIC lock at #1 or #2? I can't stress enough how much having a good goalkeeper behind you affects the mentality of a central defender!

Hopefully Abbiatti will be a better option this year, after all there's nowhere to go but up after Dida and Grandfather Kalac blessed us with their presence between the pipes.

20. robii

robii Member

Aug 27, 2005
    usa
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Kaladze will play starter, Maldini will start to feature less and less.
    I have been a fan of the Captain my whole life, and I think he is simply the best, I just think the truth is that he wont play as much as Nesta and Kaladze.
    Kaladze is one of the better defenders out there, there arent that manny better than him,besides names like Nesta, Cannavaro, Chiellini or Barzagli.

Regarding the Nesta injury, on Controcampo and Gazzetta, I read the interiew to Galliani regarding this, he said its nothing serious, Nesta will be back soon he said. I think too much is being made out of this.

21. marakana11

marakana11 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Cali
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    So is the starting 11 going to look like this as of now?

---------------Pato-----------------
    Ronaldinho--------------Kaka-------
    ------------------------------------
    Seedorf------Pirlo------Gattuso-----
    ------------------------------------
    Jankulovski-Kaladze-Nesta-Zambrotta
    --------------Abbiati---------------

22. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    probably, with possibly flamini starting, and if abbiati makes a few howlers, and dida is training well, maybe give him another go round in goal.

for the big matches, maldini will play if fit, as well.

23. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree, but don't be surprised if Flamini plays more minutes,
    than Seedorf or Gattuso.

24. Chubby

Chubby New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Something like this... Even though I would like to see Borriello getting a nod ahead of Pato. Kid can come as a sub later on.
    Its a long trip, besides if Borriello will be unable to score with THAT midfield... draw your conclusions. IMHO he will be successful, just let him play.
    Oh yes, Flamini will get a lot of minutes. Maybe from Rino. As I read somewhere about Rino, he is in a situation where mind is willing but body can't follow.

25. Borriello

Borriello New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Jamaica
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No. Seedorf won't be starting. Replace him in your formation with either Ambrosini or Flamini.