About the AFC/CONCACAF Playoff spot

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by SS2006, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine the possibility.... what if the U.S. has to play Iran for a WC spot? (I hope not)

2. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada
    official rankings of asia
    1. Japan
    2. Iran
    3. Korea
    4. Saudi

3. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Here's the ELO ratings for the teams from CONCACAF and AFC for comparision:

1.= ranking in confederation
    (1) = ranking world wide
    * = still in tournament

CONCACAF
    --------------
    1. Mexico (10) *
    2. U.S. (19) *
    3. Costa Rica (39) *
    4. Honduras (49)
    5. Jamaica (55)
    6. Guatemala (59) *
    7. Cuba (68)
    8. Canada(69)
    9. Panama (79) *
    10. Trinidad and Tobago (87) *

AFC
    ------
    1. Japan (11) *
    2. Iran (22) *
    3. South Korea (38) *
    4. Saudi Arabia (53) *
    5. Uzbekistan (55) *
    6. China (57)
    7. Bahrain (62) *
    8. Oman (64)
    9. Jordan (65)
    10. Iraq (75)
    11. Kuwait (77) *
    12. Qatar (85)
    13. North Korea (86) *

ALL MIXED UP
    ------------------
    Mexico (10) *
    Japan (11) *
    U.S. (19) *
    Iran (22) *
    South Korea (38) *
    Costa Rica (39) *
    Honduras (49)
    Saudi Arabia (53)
    Uzbekistan (55) *
    Jamaica (55)
    China (57)
    Guatemala (59) *
    Bahrain (62) *
    Oman (64)
    Jordan (65)
    Cuba (68)
    Canada(69)
    Iraq (75)
    Kuwait (77) *
    Panama (79) *
    Qatar (85)
    North Korea (86) *
    Trinidad and Tobago (87) *

Anyway, rating systems are BS. The US beats both Mexico and Japan on the field.

4. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Here's the FIFA rankings for teams from Concacaf and AFC.
    These too are all mixed up.

Mexico (8) *
    USA (11) *
    Japan (17) *
    Iran (20) *
    South Korea (24) *
    Costa Rica (27) *
    Saudi Arabia (30)*
    Jordan (39)
    Iraq (45)
    Bahrain (48) *
    China (49)
    Uzbekistan (51) *
    Jamaica (53)
    Oman (55)
    Honduras (58)
    Kuwait (60) *
    Guatemala (62) *
    Trinidad and Tobago (64) *
    Thailand (72)
    Cuba (81)
    UAE (88)
    Syria (89)
    Turkmenistan (93)
    Canada (95)
    North Korea (96) *
    Haiti (98)
    Indonesia (99)
    Panama (101) *
    El Salvador(102)

5. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ignoring all of the serious external problems with the plan, there are essentially two huge problems that kill the idea:

1) If North Korea qualifies, most of the unified team will be South Korean anyway, so what would be the point.

2) North Korea's not going to qualify. They snuck in from an easy group despite only getting one point from their main rivals in the group the UAE.

6. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    LOL
    I got a better one for you:

USA Vs. North Korea

7. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

USA wins 7-1 in Pyongyang, the news of who scores the hat trick is kept under wraps until a week later...

8. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    To answer the original question, the most likely 4th place finishers in CONCACAF are Costa Rica, Guatemala, or Panama. IRN-CRC would be a toss-up, but IRN would be favored over GUA or PAN.

That said, I would expect IRN to qualify directly. The most likely 5th place finishers in AFC are Saudia Arabia, Uzbekistan, or Kuwait. CRC or GUA would be favored over all three. KSA would be favored over PAN, and UZB-PAN or KUW-PAN would be toss-ups.

9. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    Now that would be scary.

10. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pyongyang is nothing like Tehran.

11. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    If somehow a spott was to open up, the bone would be tossed to Australia.

12. guategol

guategol New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    vancouver
    I think that guatemala,costa rica and panama would be able to beat the asian 5th.Im not sure about Trinidad and tobago(there not at the best level right now and i think they can do better wit their talent).

13. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A year from now, we'll be able to see how these predictions pan out. One thing that's not been mentioned is the momentum factor. The way the AFC and CONCACAF final stages are set up, I think the Asian team could come into the play-off matches with a bit of an edge. CONCACAF directly qualifies its top 3 teams. Let's say the 4th place team loses out on goal difference or fails to get a needed result in its final match which puts it in that dreaded 4th spot. That team would enter the playoffs on a "downer".

Now look at Asia's system. With two groups of four teams each, the top 2 in each group go directly to Germany. The two teams that finish 3rd will have a home-and-home playoff to determine who will play the CONCACAF team for a trip to WC 2006. That team may come into such a playoff a bit fatigued, but with the adrenaline rush of knowing that they still have a chance to make it. Based on that, and the current FIFA rankings, I think Asia has just as good a chance to qualify 5 teams as CONCACAF has to qualify 4.

Having said all that, it would be great if Guatemala or Trinidad & Tobago could avoid the playoff and qualify directly. To me, they are the most unlucky teams when it comes to qualifying. Something good has to break their way sooner or later! The same could be said for Bahrein in Asia. Panama and Uzbekistan haven't been to a World Cup either, but they would be considered "gatecrashers" compared to the overall past successes (or failures) of the other 3. So for now, I would go with Guatemala vs. Bahrein for the final CONCACAF-AFC showdown, with Guatemala coming out on top.

14. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point that my use of the term "tradition" was probably ill-advised. All I meant by my post was that there seems to be an AFC "big four" that is likely to qualify out of this group.

15. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    point taken. Oh, and I agree with you. They (the big four) should, and would advance given a qualifying tournament akin to that used in CONMEBOL.

But we don't know what the Asian draw will look like do we? We could get two or three of the big four in the same qualifying group.

Also there always seem to be conspiracy theories floating around Asia about these draws-- the Saudis aways seem to awarded a cakewalk. Or so I've been told by a disgruntled Iranian friend.

I seem to remember this Iranian friend of mine being upset because the Saudis offered free cars to every member of some minnow, if they beat Iran (Or so he said). The minnow duly won the game (a real hack-fest), Saudi Arabia went to the World Cup, and the Iranians stayed home.

16. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would be classic. By Summer 2005, I'm pretty sure that George Bush would have already have his eyes set on Iran.

17. damone1

damone1 Member

Jul 20, 2000
    NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Replace Guatemala with Honduras and Panama with Jamaica and it doesn't sound so ridiculous anymore. But even that doesn't matter since the two teams that qualified did so legitimately at the expense of those that did not.

Regardless of who choked and who didn't in our semi-final round, the last world cup proved that CONCACAF deserves 4 spots. Unlike Asia, whose #3 and #4 teams were outscored 0-21 in their six games.

And before you guys automatically give Saudi Arabia one of the 4 (?!?!?) automatic Asian spots, consider that they didn't qualify for the Asian Cup Quarter-finals as they finished third place in their first round group that was topped by........Uzbekistan.

18. guategol

guategol New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    vancouver
    Is concacaf's 4th able to beat asia' 5th?

is concacaf's 4th able to beat asia's 5th.which asian team do you think the 4th placed team will vs?

19. Rusty_Shackleford

Mar 24, 2004
    Re: Is concacaf's 4th able to beat asia' 5th?

I think they can.
    I say it'll be USA vs. Iran

20. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002

Are you f****** kidding me?

It will be between Costa Rica and Guatemala. US and Mexico finish top two and Trinidad and Panama struggle to get more than four.

Costa Rica and Guatemala will decide the third and fourth place spots. Whichever one of these teams does not get AT LEAST four points against T&T and Panama will slip to fourth.

And as for the question? Yes, I think our fourth will beat Asia's fifth in a home-and-home. I'm looking forward to seeing Iran or Saudi Arabia or whomever play in the sweltering jungle of Mazatenango or the rabid atmosphere of Saprissa Stadium.

Of course, Tehran ain't no walk in the part either.

21. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

I think it is tough to say...Panama, Guatemala, and T&T are all pretty average...so I think it depends on who will be 4th in Asia (I have absolutely no idea on that one). I think it is very reasonable to think almost any team COULD beat the 4th team from Concacaf as there is a major major dropoff after the first 2 or 3. T&T are basically a bunch of amateurs with one good player. Guatemala and Panama are better, but still basically teams made up of players of which only a very very small number could actually even play in MLS.

22. Jacque_s

Jacque_s New Member

Aug 13, 2004

US and Mexico will have a tough time against Iran let alone a 4th place team. Right now my bet is Iran over US or Mexico if they played. I seriously doubt Iran will be Asia's 5th.

23. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002

US: Quarterfinalists in World Cup 2002.

Mexico: Went out in the second round; won what was considered second-toughest group.

Iran: Failed to qualify for World Cup 2002.

I seriously don't understand why you think Iran would beat the US and/or Mexico. The US would beat Iran here 2-0 and go to Tehran and not lose by more than two.

Mexico, well, they'd probably thrash Iran 3-0 or 4-0 in Azteca.

24. Rusty_Shackleford

Mar 24, 2004

No. I think it will be:
    It will be

Mexico
    Costa Rica
    Guatemala
    USA

US didnt look to impressive in the first round. They seemed to have a tough time on the road. We shall see...

25. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

If by a tough time on the road you mean not losing then I agree with you. Costa Rica has struggled all through qualifing, first with a "powerful" Cuban team in the first round, they needed the away goals rule to limp into the semi's. Guatemala doesn't have the depth to finish ahead of either the US or Mexico, Costa Rica is a different story because they're so Jeckyl & Hyde. Lastly Mexico's semi group was so pathetically easy, their media dubbed it "Mexico's caribbean vacation". No way in hell does the US finishes lower than third in the hex.