? about shoulder to shoulder

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Tamalak, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Tamalak

Tamalak New Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Westland, MI
    I am having difficulty with this scenario...

I coach High School Boys and my forward, an exchange student from Germany, is 6'6" tall. All of our crosses into the box are aimed for his head, of course. He is always being whistled for a foul for 50/50 headers. He towers over the defenders and when both he and a defender jump for the ball, my player wins it, but the defender usually runs into his shoulder and falls down, so my guy gets whistled for the push.

Is it just me, or am I right? It's a 50/50 both go up, no arm extension, but since my guy wins the header and the other guy falls over, my 6'6" guy MUST have pushed him to win the ball, it has nothing to do with his height!?!

Thoughts?

2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he has better position and keeps his arms in, he shouldn't be getting called. It's all In The Opinion of the Referee. If you get several calls against him in the first half, a very polite question at half time might help the CR see it more objectively.

3. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    I agree. If he is going up to win the ball, has position and doesn't get his elbows up it should be a no call. And..............too much "ref-riding" will get you nowhere.