About posting results [West Brom R]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by boin boing, Nov 8, 2003.

1. boin boing

boin boing Member

Oct 30, 2003
    England
    About posting results

does that apply to results from abroard as i wanted
    you all to know that West Brom won a thrilling 3-4 win after being 3-0 down after 18 minutes.
    The games was v West ham.
    Boing Boing.

2. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Finally some good news on the Burn forum.

3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rule is if you are posting a result from a soccer game in a thread - you put a bracketed [R] in the tile and refer to the game so that someone who may be planning to watch the game later does not stumble accross a score he/she would rather not see just yet.

That even applies to West Brom results posted in the Dallas Burn forum.

But that's a good result for Brom as the two recent former EPL teams attempt to scratch and claw they way back to the Premier League.

tell you what - why don't you send us one of your West Brom forwards and we'll all become Baggies fans.

4. boin boing

boin boing Member

Oct 30, 2003
    England
    we have 2 of our forwards out on loan right now but neither of them would know where Dallas was on a map, we could sell you Jason Roberts who would in my opinion score about 30 a season in the MLS and he would cost you only 1 million.
    Mind you witht he profile of MLS rising in the UK i think a lot of EPL and NATIONWIDE sides may be looking to recruit from your own leagues.
    The lad Howard in goal at Man U has made a big impression, out of 20 EPL sides 3 have US keepers which is not bad going.
    Brad Friedel at Blackburn is the best keeper in the country over the last few years.
    Boing Boing.

5. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    :confused:

You mean to say that they wouldnt be able to locate the 8th largest city in the United States?

Thanks for the heads up...

6. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    No offense, buddy, but I don't think that a guy who can't even crack a first division squad is going to be putting in 30 goals in MLS.

Yeah, unfortunate development.

7. boin boing

boin boing Member

Oct 30, 2003
    England
    as i said he is on loan and the club he is on loan to is premier league Portsmouth so technically he is not a div 1 player.
    As a talking point do you believe that the MLS is vastly superior to the English div 1 because that is the feeling i got from your post.How would you feel that the Burn would do in the EPL?.

8. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Burn would do what liester city did two seasons ago and get killed.

Burn in a normal year, my guess would be midtable D1, D2 at worst.

9. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Funny, I got the exact opposite feeling from your post (div 1 is vastly superior to MLS). I get a little defensive when Europeans start talking about MLS's quality, and how many goals so-and-so would score in such a mediocre league, is all.

But, if we're going to be civil about this, I'd have to say that no, I think MLS's is about on the same level as division 1. I hadn't realized that Roberts was in the EPL, however (a little strange to loan a player up a division, isn't it?), but still, I doubt he'd come close to 30. We only play 30 games in a season, and this year the highest scorer put in 15 goals; nobody's ever put in 30, so although I wouldn't be surprised if your guy did well, I think 30 is more than a little ambitious.

As for the Burn, they would have crashed into conference this year. They lost to a PSL (division 3) club in the US Open Cup (like the FA Cup) 4-1. I can't imagine any MLS team staying up in the EPL for long, but I think they'd acquit themselves all right in the first division.

10. boin boing

boin boing Member

Oct 30, 2003
    England
    I hope the argument remains civil and i do not know enough at the moment about the MLS to judge on its quality, i did not know you only play 30 games sorry, we play 46 league games a season plus 2 cup competitions and that is what i based the 30 goals remark on.

11. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO

I consider MLS to be just like Div 1. Best team could go up to EPL, but would struggle, maybe stay up, maybe go back down. Would get spanked by top teams in EPL.

The Burn this season would have really struggled in Div 1, but Chicago and Sj could have been in D1 playoffs level.

12. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

That was just a little joke :).

This issue has been discussed ad nauseum on bigsoccer, and I don't really think there's an answer. We've had some guys come over from division I this year (Daryl Powell and Mark Williams) who were very mediocre. Whether this was because of declining skills, or lack of motivation, or simply being of mediocre quality, I have no idea. On the other hand, we've had guys come over from similar levels (John Spencer from Motherwell, Steve Morrow from QPR, Ronnie O'brien from Dundee United) come over and perform quite well. John Spencer is up for MVP of the league this year. So, to be honest, I think there's no way to tell how good this guy would do, other than actually bringing him over. And, if he 'only' costs 1 million (dollars? pounds?), I don't think we'll ever know, considering that that's more than half of a team's annual salary. Unless he was Landon Donovan II, there's no way the league is spending that on a player.

Boing Boing.

13. boin boing

boin boing Member

Oct 30, 2003
    England
    so i presume Landan Donovan is considered as the best player in the MLS, what kind of transfer money would he cost and what would his wages be roughly, just so as i can use a comparison in future
    as i did not know 1 million was considered a high price in MLS.
    I am new to MLS and i kind of get a feeling you get well peeved off with european fans deriding your league and maybe you tar us all with the same brush, i am just here to learn and hopefully see the burn turn it around.
    I know the capabilities of US players i may not know the names yet but if the world cup was a basis to go on then your standards seem to be high.
    BOING BOING

14. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I think these questions are significantly harder to answer than you realize, and so I'm going to preface my answers with a little summary about how the league runs.

MLS functions a lot more like the other american sports leagues (the NFL, the NBA, MLB, I don't know how familiar you are with these) than like European soccer leagues.

The league office is a lot more significant in MLS than in Europe. They hold the contracts to all the players in the league, not individual teams. For various reasons, they keep the value of these contracts pretty much secret; I really don't have any idea what most of the players on the Burn make. Additionally, no MLS team ever buys a player from another MLS team; if there's ever a transaction, it's strictly player for player (basically). e.g. Recently, the Burn traded three players (Ryan Suarez, Antonio Martinez, and Paul Broome) to Los Angeles for two players (Ezra Hendrickson, Gavin Glinton) and a pick in the upcoming entry draft, where teams select amateur players who have been signed by the league. The only transfers that take place are external to the league; so, for example, the Burn might request that the league buy a player, and if the league can get him for the right price, we'll get him. Or, alternatively, the league might sell a player; this happened most recently with Tim Howard going to Manchester United despite it being in the middle of New York's season. In this case, the league will give the team a 'credit' for a player acquisition, basically.

That explanation was a little simplistic, but hopefully it was a good enough starting point.

So, on to Landon Donovan. The maximum that a player can count against the salary cap, and pretty much the maximum that a player can earn, is $250,000 a year. (Pretty paltry, I know, but MLS doesn't have near the revenue that clubs in Europe have.) A few exceptions to this rule are made, however; this year, Los Angeles acquired Korean World Cup captain Hong Myung Bo, who's rumored to be making about twice the maximum. Apparently, the other half is being paid not by the league, but by a group of Koreans in Los Angeles who were interested in having Hong playing here. Donovan, likewise, is almost certainly making more than the max, probably somewhere around a million dollars a year; however, he's currently in MLS on loan from Bayer Leverkusen, who may be paying part of his contract (I have no idea), and I'm pretty sure Nike is helping finance his stay in America. I wouldn't be surprised if the same kind of exception is made if Freddy Adu joins the league.

As for how much Donovan would garner in a transfer, I have no idea. Obviously, there's more to a transfer than simply talent: Tim Howard cost 3 million dollars for Man U, Juventus bought Buffon for, what, 50 million? Now, I bet Buffon is a better player than Howard, but I doubt he's 15 times the player.

The most recent move for a field player was by Tottenham, who almost bought 20-year old US international Bobby Convey this summer for something like 1.5 million. Donovan, I'm sure, would cost a good deal more for a number of reasons. 1. He's a better player than Convey. 2. He's much, much more marketable; I doubt Tottenham was planning on selling a lot of Convey jerseys here, but if Deportivo (e.g.) bought Landon, I bet there would be a flood. 3. Leverkusen owns his contract. I'm sure that they will be demanding a good deal for the face of US soccer.

It's really for this reason that I'd be surprised if Donovan were transferred before he went back to Europe. Bayer aren't going to get paid what they want until he performs at a higher level than MLS (regardless of his World Cup exploits). I'm going to leave it at this, because I threw out a number, I'm sure there would be several people to say I was too high, and several others to say I was too low.

You seem like a pretty nice guy, I don't think you'll have any problems pissing off the americans. Sorry I rushed to judgment.

Let me also recommend, if you're interested, checking out mlsnet.com, the league's website. It's free (unlike practically every English club's), and it's got a wealth of statistics and information. Additionally, if you click the multimedia link on the left, you can watch practically every goal scored in the league this year. It's not streaming video, but it's not bad.

15. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know of only one match between an MLS team and a D1 English team, when Miami defeated my boys, Forest. As it was a friendly, David Platt probably tried a few things and players that would not be seen at City Ground, but so did Hudson.

There was also a closed door match, I do not know the results of that game.

If any MLS team can beat a team like Forest under Platt, that says something for the MLS. It is, however, worth noting that Forest was in preseason and Miami was rising for the playoffs.

I think there have been teams in the MLS that might have stuck around in the EPL, but would not be looking at a place for European competition. Further, the MLS salary cap forces these teams to dismantle after a few years. Overall, I think the MLS is D1 level.

It would be interesting to see some sort of Anglo-American Cup.

16. boin boing

boin boing Member

Oct 30, 2003
    England
    Thank you both for your reply which provided me with a lot of info i was looking for.
    I admit the transfer and draft system goes right over my head but i am sure i can learn.
    A bit insular of me but i have never heard of the guy Donovan but if he played for Bayer he must be of a high standard, i watched all USA games in world cup and i cannot recall the name but then again he may have been injured.
    I will now go to mlsnet.com and see for myself i guess. Here goes.
    Boing Boing.

17. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wouldn't surprise me at all if most English players only vaguely know where Dallas is in the States. Turn the question around.

West Bromwich Albion plays in a suburb of Birmingham, England. How many American soccer players even know that Birmingham is England's 2nd largest city, or whereabouts it is in that country? Not too many, I'd guess.

18. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    That's a little surprising to me, actually. I suppose I shouldn't expect everyone to heard of even America's best players, however.

He played every game for the US in the World Cup, scored 2 goals, one against Poland, one against Mexico, in addition to having one called back by a ref and having another ruled an own goal. Here's a bio: http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/en/t/t/pl/175507/index.html

19. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Boing Boing--

Let's say that MLS is not roughly equivlent to England's D1. Let's say that it is D2 or even D3.

Your description of the WBA match sounds like a couple of Burn games a few years back. In a game against the El Lay Gals, the Burn took the lead 1-0, and left the feild for half time down 3-1. After 90 minutes. the burn walked away with 3 points, winning 4-3.

In the same year, when MLS palyoffs were best of three games, the Burn trailed hated Chigago 2-0 after five minutes in game three, and won the game 3-2 to move on to the semifinals, where they lost to El Lay, two games to one.

However you compare and contrast the MLS to to nations with great tradition, you can see some exciting football in the MLS. We saw some great football this year, though it was almost always played by the other team.

20. boin boing

boin boing Member

Oct 30, 2003
    England
    I have heard of Cobi Jones, Keller, Brad the best goalie in the world Friedel ,Claudio Reyna, Joe max Moore and Toni Sanneh who we tried to buy at West Brom.
    I think we in England have a very insular view of football and tend not too look outside of Europe unless of course we are buying players from outside of europe.
    Boing Boing

21. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect the dimmest English player would know Dallas is in Texas. Since Britain fits into Texas like 27 times, I expect it might be difficult to put thier finger right on it.

I had great times at Nottingham. "You're from Texas? Where's your cowboy hat? You live on a ranch, right?"
    I think English players would have a great time in Texas, buing the hat and boots, eating huge steaks, until the heat got to them. I think it would be great to play the English National Team in Frisco. Sometime in August, say, around 1:00 PM.

the sheer size of the United States amzes Englishmen who have not been here. Back when it looked like England would qualify for World Cup USA, I few Englishmen told me they would ride the train from New York to Los Angeles, a city no Englishman can pronounce correctly. "It's like from London to Glasgow, right?" "No, like London to Moscow." "Bloody fvckin' 'ell!"

Boing Boing, if you are still in the Colonies in April, I hope you will come to the Burn games. The Inferno is UK friendly. We are run by a Scotsman in a kilt.

22. boin boing

boin boing Member

Oct 30, 2003
    England
    I sometimes visit family for Thanksgiving so i guess the season is over then?, i remember the game i saw in Dallas i cannot remember who againts but i would say if you played an English side in that heat you would have a huge advantage, i remember the Irish when they played in Dallas during the world cup and they suffered with the heat.
    Most people i know have heard of Dallas of course mainly due to the TV programme so our stereotypes are set from that.
    There was a USA defender who played who i used to love to watch he was tall with a kind of ZZ top beard (gingerish) can any1 tell me his name please.
    Boing Boing.

23. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Alexi Lalas.

He still plays in MLS, though mostly as a sub now - he plays for the L.A. Galaxy.

gingerish threw me off - Americans mostly stick to primary colors - we say, "red-haired"

He's a character. Cool guy, still got a bit of hustle in him.

Actually, we also have another player you mentioned, Cobi Jones.

Forget the Burn! Be a Galaxy fan!

24. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    As a point of interest, the Galaxy recently performed, easily, the greatest collapse in MLS playoff history. In the second game of their playoff with San Jose, leading on aggregate 4-0 in the 20th minute, they proceeded to give up 5 goals in the next 75, including the tying fifth in stoppage time, and then a golden goal to Rodrigo Faria, to end their season. Just saying.

But, yeah, Alexi Lalas. He looks a bit different these days:

[​IMG]

25. boin boing

boin boing Member

Oct 30, 2003
    England
    Thanks for the info oh my god Lalas looks like a different person, cannot support galaxy though because a galaxy in England is a chocolate bar and that would be too weird.
    Cobi Jones i am sure played for Coventry City which is about 20 miles from where i am sat.
    Thank you again
    BOING BOING.