Abortion

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Chesco United, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The source of their embarrassment is not the crimes, it's the getting caught.
    They ain't coming over to our side.

They really aren't.

52% of White women voted Trump before Roe got sent back to the states. They're not onboard with much of anything else we stand for. They just need the quick flush convenience for those days when when the bball team takes their daughter out for a joyride and brings her back with the tank full. They might be shocked at some of the stuff that's happened since 2016, but it was their own needs that caused them to (re)act... when it's too late.

OTOH, I would vote for Biden even if I enjoyed some measure of privilege or safety. I would vote to forgive college debt even tho my folks and scholarships paid for mine. That's the kind of person I am.

2. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Have you read the Bible? I mean...he does some pretty dickish things.

xtomx repped this.
  3. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    You said it. :oops:

4. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The comic Preacher portrays God as an insecure and needy being. And also does a lot of dickish things.

ElNaranja repped this.
  5. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think about the people married to immigrants who voted for Trump because they want to stick it to illegal immigrants only to have their spouses deported and be surprised.

Then there's the people who do get abortions but are still against it.

xtomx and Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "I went thru the proper channels" is perhaps the biggest sellout/copout in US history. Those people deserve to lose their families.

Them, too. And closet tokers.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scrubbed or FB deleted? I ask as one on my HS classmates and Trumpista, has no posts before March 13. But recently complained about being in FB jail. Her sister, also a Trumpista, seems to still be in FB Jail.

8. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Crooked has a new Wilderness podcast which has focus groups especially with people who switched to vote for Biden in '20

These people exist - its just all on the margins, and they likely don't follow politics regularly

soccernutter repped this.
  9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    80%

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don’t think there’s 73m maggots…..

There’s 73m voters that didn’t support Biden. That doesn’t mean they are all mouth breathing red hat wearing cretins. Perhaps half to 2/3 are too far gone: I don’t think we ever see that many vote for him again.

xtomx repped this.
  12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If it was simply about not supporting Biden, you're describing a demo that just stays at home. These 73 million absolute maggots went out and voted in the ugliest and most contested presidential election in US history.

They may as well all be mouth-breathing red hat wearing cretins. Their votes empowered him.

Why did they vote for him in 2020, then? He and his party had shown their hand.

Pønch repped this.
  13. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    One has to read the fine print!!!
    Nancy Pelosi while ridiculing Graham’s failed abortion attempt, pointed this out.

“Pointing to a little-noticed aspect of Graham's proposed legislation, which would ban nearly all abortion at the 15-week mark, Speaker Pelosi told reporters at her weekly press conference the bill would not just place a nationwide ban of abortion, it would actually "criminalize" it.

"The extreme MAGA Republicans gathered to unveil their latest bill to criminalize women's health in all 50 states," Pelosi declared. "The bill calls for a penalty of five years, in federal prison, for doctors performing abortions."

Boandlkramer repped this.
  14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Flawless logic:

xtomx and Auriaprottu repped this.
  15. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I am not sure. She was one of those posters who you don't want showing up on your algorithm as they can flood your feed daily with idiocy. All I could tell was she was posting multiple times per day with random memes and then there are long stretches during 2020 of no posting moving away from politics.

soccernutter repped this.
  16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I stop well short of saying "I'm loving this", but it's a breath of fresh air to see the mask get pulled off this country.

Breathe free, huddled masses. Or tell yourselves that's what you're doing

17. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Interesting article on attempts in Louisiana and elsewhere to criminalize all abortions, even if the woman's life is at risk. I don't think any of this is new, just a summary. Some highlights from the attempts in Louisiana:
    • Women who have abortions should be charged with murder
    • Doctors performing abortions should be arrested
    • Plan B should be banned
    • Bill passed committee in Louisiana 7-2 (all Republicans voting yes, Democrat and Independent voting no)

18. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I heard an interesting 'cast recently...Invisibilia maybe? They had a deceptively simple answer to many abortion issues.

If a woman simply doesn't test for pregnancy, they are in a Schrödinger's Baby situation where they can take medicine to hasten a period and it's not legally an abortion, since they can't possibly know if they're pregnant or not. They note that it is perfectly legal everywhere to take pills to hasten a woman's period even in states with theocratic governments. I gather the pills to hasten a period and the pills to have an abortion are effectively the same pill with a different wrapper. Once you test positive for pregnancy, you're outta luck.

This doesn't replace activism, voting, and/or armed revolution to solve our theocracy issues but it might help some women out of a bind.

19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Aren't some states trying to make these drugs illegal?

20. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I haven't heard about it but it would be 100% unsurprising. That's where the armed revolution comes into use.

21. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "The taking of a life is murder, and it is illegal," state Rep. Danny McCormick told a committee of state lawmakers who considered the bill in May, right after the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade was leaked.
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/20/politics/abortion-bans-murder-charges-invs/index.html
    This statement is too absurd to be believed.

Okay, so EVERY police shooting and EVERY suspect who dies in custody should immediately result in the arrest and conviction of the officer for murder. Right, Rep. McCormack?
    George Zimmerman MUST be tried and convicted for murder, for committing the "illegal" act of the "taking of a life."
    Kyle Rittenhouse IS on his way to prison.
    Every auto collision that results in the "taking of a life" MUST result in a murder conviction.
    Capital Punishment is legal in Louisiana. So, if the prison "takes a life" of someone on death row, that is murder, correct?

The actual text of the bill is pretty horrifying:

ABORTION: Enacts the Abolition of Abortion in Louisiana Act of 2022

Section 2. Acknowledging the sanctity of innocent human life, created in the image of God, which should be equally protected from fertilization to natural death, the legislature hereby declares that the purpose of this Act is to...
    (1) Fully recognize the human personhood of an unborn child at all stages of development prior to birth from the moment of fertilization.
    (2) Ensure the right to life and equal protection of the laws to all unborn children from the moment of fertilization by protecting them by the same laws protecting other human beings

In the image of "God." Who's god would that be? Goodbye to separation of Church and State.
    Also, equal protection for fetuses is insane. Equal protection does not apply to children, why would it apply to fetuses or "proto-children" (another good band name)?

Also, "natural death" is a strange phrase. So, there can be no "life sustaining" or "life saving" procedures, as that would interfere with "natural death"?
    Or, do they mean "natural death" as opposed to unnatural deaths (like murder and accidents). If so, that is pretty strange and would need a clearer definition.

§14.33.1. Enforcement regarding abortion

E.(1) Any federal statute, regulation, treaty, executive order, or court ruling that purports to supersede, stay, or overrule this Section shall be in violation of the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Louisiana and is therefore void.

F. Pursuant to the powers granted to the Legislature by Article X, Part III, of the Constitution of Louisiana, any judge of this state who purports to enjoin, stay, overrule, or void any provision of this Section shall be subject to impeachment or removal.

Well, that cannot be Constitutional. There goes the Supremacy clause.
    I have read this in several other proposed bills regarding the "abolition of abortion" that include this phrase.
    They are setting up a long court battle, and relying on the US Supreme Court to bail them out (since Dobbs stated this is a matter to be "left to the states").

https://www.legis.la.gov/legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=1259299

22. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The Code Napoleon makes the legislators a bit crazy.

23. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    While speaking in Atlanta at a panel on Tuesday, Sept. 20, Abrams said, “There is no such thing as a heartbeat at six weeks,” according to a video clip that was widely seen online. The discussion occurred at the Ray Charles Performing Arts Center.

https://www.macon.com/news/state/georgia/article266228256.html

is this what THE SCIENCE says now?

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002398.htm
    Weeks 6 to 7
    • Arm and leg buds start to grow.
    • Your baby's brain forms into 5 different areas. Some cranial nerves are visible.
    • Eyes and ears begin to form.
    • Tissue grows that will become your baby's spine and other bones.
    • Baby's heart continues to grow and now beats at a regular rhythm. This can be seen by vaginal ultrasound.
    • Blood pumps through the main vessels.

or do the Dems just make it up as they go?

24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, this is precisely what science says now, and has always said.
    That is NOT a heartbeat, since it is not a heart.

What you quoted states as such.
    It states the "heart continues to grow," i.e., it is not a full developed organ. It is a mass of tissue developing into a fully developed organ.

Here is a couple of more "developed" and nuanced responses:

Rather, at six weeks of pregnancy, an ultrasound can detect "a little flutter in the area that will become the future heart of the baby," said Dr. Saima Aftab, medical director of the Fetal Care Center at Nicklaus Children's Hospital in Miami. This flutter happens because the group of cells that will become the future "pacemaker" of the heart gain the capacity to fire electrical signals, she said.

https://www.livescience.com/65501-fetal-heartbeat-at-6-weeks-explained.html

"When I use a stethoscope to listen to an [adult] patient's heart, the sound that I'm hearing is caused by the opening and closing of the cardiac valves," says Dr. Nisha Verma, an OB-GYN who specializes in abortion care and works at the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

The sound generated by an ultrasound in very early pregnancy is quite different, she says.

"At six weeks of gestation, those valves don't exist," she explains. "The flickering that we're seeing on the ultrasound that early in the development of the pregnancy is actually electrical activity, and the sound that you 'hear' is actually manufactured by the ultrasound machine."

And

That's why "the term 'fetal heartbeat' is pretty misleading," says Dr. Jennifer Kerns, an OB-GYN and associate professor at the University of California, San Francisco.

"What we're really detecting is a grouping of cells that are initiating some electrical activity," she explains. "In no way is this detecting a functional cardiovascular system or a functional heart."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...l-term-but-its-still-used-in-laws-on-abortion

Nice try, though.

MattR, rslfanboy, Mike03 and 4 others repped this.
  25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Dems have to do this precisely because somedamnbody even gives a ******** what's developed at that point.

Under what conditions would you allow a woman to control her own destiny and decide for herself when she wants to give birth?