ABC/ESPN and UNIVISION awarded US TV rights for all FIFA events from 2007 to 2014

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by csctn, Nov 2, 2005.

1. csctn

csctn Member

Aug 10, 2004
    TN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good or bad?.....I don't know.
    It does mean big money for FIFA and hopefully a bit more soccer on the Mouse's channels, but in all reality probably not - lets not kid ourselves and get carried away. It also means that a channel like FSC probably won't be able to carry the next few U-20 and U-17 WCs (unless they pay the Mouse).

http://www.fifa.com/en/media/index/0,1369,110918,00.html?articleid=110918

2. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I do think that this is a huge deal. The cross-marketing of FIFA means more visibility for soccer in the US. It also means that we have some mainstream sports execs in the US spending real money on soccer - which should hopefully give the mainstream sports writers who are naysayers some pause. (At least over time.) To me this means that the 'club' is beginning to accept soccer as a real deal.

3. leftjab

leftjab Member

Jan 11, 2004
    Berkeley
  4. metx

metx New Member

Jun 3, 2004
  5. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Give Graber a cigar and tell him to shave that stupid goatee.

6. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the Fox link -- same info I think:

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5046782

I can't say this is HUGH for soccer, but it is very positive. $100M is a big chunk of change, and ABC/ESPN will be looking to get a good profit out of it. To that end, they will PROMOTE the games. IMO, it's more important that ESPN now has the English rights to the Confed Cup, U-17 WC and the U-20 WYC. If they show these events (or at least the US games in these events), then we are talking about a MAJOR stride forward in US soccer.

7. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma
    This should be the busiest thread on bigsoccer. The most important part of it, was the talk about MLS getting rights fees.

8. leftjab

leftjab Member

Jan 11, 2004
    Berkeley
    the news stories say its for U.S. television rights only.

9. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    That's the bigger news of the day...

10. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Actually, this was leaked a week ago, it just went under the radar. It's huge news, and the coverage and money involved can only get better in the future.

11. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Impressive, someone should show this article to people when they try and say soccer and MLS are failing.

12. Franchise

Franchise New Member

Aug 21, 2002
    JSC, Houston, TX
    Undoubtedly, some will believe that since the $100M was for several events, the Mouse still hates MLS.

13. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

I agree. Does anyone care to predict/translate this part of it for my naive business brain?

14. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI: Europe pays $1.2 billion for the 2010 World Cup from the news article.

15. Goalieo

Goalieo Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This could be really stupid, but maybe the Mouse bought all these FIFA tourney rights to start a new soccer theamed ESPN Channel or an "ESPN World Sports" Channel to compete with Fox at some point in the near future. I know they would have to get some rights from some of the leagues Fox currently has, but you never know. Maybe they have a broader strategy.

16. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    Seems like alot to pay seeing as SUM only spent $40million for two WCs. I mean, it's serious money, but the money is going to FIFA. Personally, I'd be happier if MLS got $100million from ABC/ESPN. What they really need is to be on tv as much as poker is. I mean, there are more poker stars in the public consciousness than there are soccer stars!

17. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    how did I know poker would be injected...

to the point of the thread:
    I think this is a huge move in the right direction. Nobody plops down that kind of money without thinking of the return. advertising :), more exposure :D, my evil plot is working out as planned :cool:

I'm lovin' it

18. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just wait till ABC begins their ESPN soccer channel, available only through DISH network or DIRECTV.....that way they can show all the games on 1 channel that nobody gets...and profit off other shows and recoup their 100 million.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree! How much $$$ will the MLS get in profits from all of this? Supposedly, the only reason the USA was awarded the World Cup in 1994 was so the USA would get in line with the rest of the world and get a league(MLS) going and in place. I remember the USSF made 50 million dollars out of the 94 WC in profits and Sunil Gulati loaned some money out to the MLS. That doesn't seem like all that much today (at least in terms of professional sports)but it was an incredible amount or surplus money back then. I don't know if the MLS made or got any of that money but I'll bet they would love to distribute $100 million in either player acquisitions or in contribute towards building more SSS stadiums. From my calculations that's around 8 million per team!