Abby Wambach says foreign born USMNT players have no 'killer instinct'

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by aarond23, Oct 11, 2016.

1. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    #2 Ironbound, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    FFS, she is so ignorant. I mean...

"It feels a little bit odd to me that you have some guys that have never lived in the United States that play for the United States because they were able to secure a passport. To me, that just feels like they weren’t able to make it for their country and earn a living, so they’re coming here."​

Does she not understand that the way men's soccer players earn their primary wage is from clubs, not national teams, and that most of these guys are successful Bundesliga players?

RalleeMonkey, CTS26, sakibomb523 and 2 others repped this.
  3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    [​IMG]

"If this is an ignorant opinion, I’ll raise my hand in the end and say, 'My bad.’ But I’d want to have that conversation."

LouisianaViking07/09 and sXeWesley repped this.
  4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She sure has a killer instinct when it comes to downing drugs and alcohol though.

El Naranja, CTS26, sakibomb523 and 10 others repped this.
  5. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe her and Solo are in a contest to see who can get the most people to dislike them?

I guess if it gets her name in the paper and sells a few books....

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    This seems like a typical case of a mid life crisis... Confused, not making a lot of sense, and making yourself look like an ass.

7. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know everybody is entitled to an opinion but I wish she'd shut the hell up.

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why anyone would listen to these spoiled brats about true professional soccer that is played at a high level, as opposed to the mostly amateur competition they engage in, I have no idea.

kba4life and russ repped this.
  9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She should try to say this to Sydney Leroux's face...

10. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I defended her last time saying that her comments were not ass bad as people made them out to be. Much harder to defend this.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Ironbound repped this.
  11. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abby, go home.

12. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think she should definitely sit down with Mix, J. J., and others, and have a meaningful discussion about it. She might learn a thing or two. Or three.

FreekickSmurf repped this.
  13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pulled for the early Women's team until they started talking smack about MLS and the men's team. I was just starting to pull for them again as it seemed the newer players were all supporting each other but now it seems to be back where it was years ago. Women vs Men. The two situations are so completely different I don't know why they keep trying to compare to each other and take shots.

14. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wambach retired in December; she is no longer part of USWNT.
    And, interviewers tend to dredge up topics like these for publicity's sake.

15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Mix is very soft, but I'd pay to watch J.J. versus Aby in a cage.

16. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I am trying to separate the 3 loudmouths from the rest of the women's team.. Solo, Wambach, Rapinoe are the attention getters (usually for the wrong reasons) when they open their mouths. Not so much for the others it seems.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  17. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nor Earnie Stewart or Thomas Dooley.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm not afraid to say I half agree with Abby. I've said I think we should build the Nat team with domestic players (on paper) and then ask ourselves who can help us who is foreign based, taking into consideration all fact0rs including how committed we think they would be. Obviously, Tim Howard at Everton would have been my first pick last cycle and those who follow me know who would have been my first reject.

Now, "killer instinct" is somewhat of a new twist on "commitment" and you might say it goes a bit beyond commitment and refers more to psyche.

Here is an over long reference having to do with how Roman Army evolved from volunteer, aristocracy led, to use of "foreign" based conscripts and officers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Roman_army

Please don tin foil hats before continuing this section per BS requirements:

I sort of skimmed thru and it seems that when aristocrats and volunteer officers were replaced with "primipilares" (foreigners, sort of) the army was just as effective but strife increased. Omen for Klinsi here.
    The rise of the primipilares may have provided the army with more professional leadership, but it increased military rebellions by ambitious generals. The 3rd century saw numerous coups d'état and civil wars. Few 3rd-century emperors enjoyed long reigns or died of natural causes

And Rome didn't fall because of "barbarian" inferiority but rather due to internecine strife. The foreign based soldier tended to be loyal as long as his own tribe was not being attacked (see how that works, Klinsi?). Skip to the very last section on Barbarisation theory for a fairly short synopsis.

Excerpts:
    There is a tendency by some modern scholars to ascribe to ancient barbarians a degree of ethnic solidarity that did not exist, according to A.H.M. Jones

Ammianus himself never characterises barbarian-born troops as unreliable.
    [324] On the contrary, his evidence is that barbarian soldiers were as loyal, and fought as hard, as Roman ones.[325]
    An indication of the army's high esteem for barbarian-born troops is that they appear to have been preferentially recruited to the elite units of the late imperial era's armies.........
    The former Oxford University historian Adrian Goldsworthy has argued that the cause of the fall of the Roman Empire in the West should not be blamed on barbarization of the late Roman Army, but on its recurrent civil wars, which led to its ability to repel or defeat invasions from outside its frontiers to be seriously weakened.

19. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She was given a length of rope by the interviewer, and she throttled herself with it.

yankthisyank'swank repped this.
  20. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this is a well-thought out and well-reasoned dissent. I think it's an issue that deserves to be considered on an individual basis. I have no problem with Danny Williams never getting a phone call from US Soccer ever again. I'm not very happy that Julian Green's loyalty was bought with a WC roster spot some half decade before it was warranted, especially when it was at the expense of the best player in US history.

There is a somewhat unique flavor to US Soccer, and full dedication to the NT is part of that. When a player shows that he lacks commitment I have no problem cutting them out of the picture. I also believe that if someone's going to choose to play for the US then they deserve an opportunity to sink or swim.

eta - I feel the same the other way. If Rossi had won the WC or Euros with Italy I'd have bet deep in his soul there would be a part of him that wishes it would have been with the US.

SeminoleTom repped this.
  21. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    It really, really isn't. But you're nice to say so.

22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I disagree with much of this post, but figured I'd focus on one small piece of it... you think JG won't warrant a best 23 selection until 2019?

23. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Uhm, I fixed your post. Your Welcome. Try and get the story straight next time.

gunnerfan7, butters59 and 2in10 repped this.
  24. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might be beating a dead horse, but Davis, Zusi, and Wondo took Donovan's spot as much as Green did. And unlike them, Green actually scored a goal.

25. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    After seeing Solo defenders on social media turning her into a martyr over her suspension by comparing her to Lochte, while conveniently glossing over how non-white male athletes have been treated for similar offenses, there is a tinge of white female privilege among a few vocal USWNT fans that can be off-putting. I know not all USWNT fans are this extreme, but Wambach defenders justifying her barbs at the men's team with "the women have won something, the men haven't," are probably oblivious to the white female privilege that puts the USWNT at an advantage over their underfunded global competition, despite a highly exclusive talent identification structure that leads to a homogeneous player pool. If not for Wambach's buddy, dual national Sydney Leroux-Dwyer and a handful of others, the USWNT is essentially an upper-class, lily-white sorority!

Fevernova99 repped this.