Aaron Long Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bsky22, Aug 30, 2020.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all the terrible results lately, most people would probably think "The manager has clearly lost the lockerroom". As you note, they didn't criticize Long's play specifically. Conrad just said that he's the captain and needs to right the ship. To a degree, I agree with that. But there's a whole hell of a lot going wrong with that team that's way out of the captain's control.

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gregg is doing a million interviews these days, will some journalist ask him where Aaron Long currently stands with the national team CB pool?

adam tash repped this.
  3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Speaking of Conrad’s point about a Captain CB organizing the defense, TBH Tim Ream has had a solid first half in a very intense match against Liverpool.

The Clientele repped this.
  4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    adam tash, El Stikero, xbhaskarx and 2 others repped this.
  5. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    adam tash repped this.
  6. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    For the lols

adam tash and schrutebuck repped this.
  7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Given how badly Long seemed to be pushing for West Ham a few years ago, it definitely appears like he's a player who will go overseas.

At 30, it's definitely his last chance for a big contract, and he was a late bloomer too.

8. SoccerFanInIA

SoccerFanInIA Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Oct 28, 2021
    Can’t wait to see Bsky’s reaction to this. Lol.

9. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long could be decent for Everton next season in the Championship.

USA-Zebuel and russ repped this.
  11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Looks like Easports has a better handle on Long than our national team coach. They got him as a good athlete who is an average defender and crap on the ball (for some reason the didnt talk about his passing score).

Gacm32 repped this.
  12. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Yikes

Gacm32 and Marius Tresor repped this.
  13. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    That video is dumb. Make one for every goal scored on a defender and it’s not gonna look good. High light vids look good or bad depending on what you are trying to show.

and no I’m not defending long I think berhalter is over valuing speed a bit much in an attempt to replace what miles Robinson gave us. But miles is like fastest dude out there type speed so it’s tougher to balance those things if that isn’t the case.

USOutlaw16, Mike03, Eleven Bravo and 2 others repped this.
  14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to agree. Anytime a highlight video starts with music that I’d expect to hear inside of a strip club then I know it’s not going to offer anything of substance.

Sebsasour and jaykoz3 repped this.
  15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He still has interest in the Premier League? Is Berhalter editing his videos that PL clubs are watching?

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are their any RBNY fans that have watched all or most of his games and can give their perspective on Long?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Lets put it this way; he's been one of the lowest rated players in the side since July.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Don't pay attention to your eyes and what they show you in any videos.
    Also don't pay attention to stats or ratings or other attempts by loser nerds to quantify performance.
    Instead rely on a third far superior thing, just "vibes" :thumbsup:

starting, consistently called up (even when out with major injury)
    [​IMG]

not starting, fringe call up
    [​IMG]

jaykoz3, LouisianaViking07/09 and Gacm32 repped this.
  19. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    In a better league as well.

20. lpoolUSMNT

lpoolUSMNT Member

Liverpool
    United States
    Sep 19, 2022
    Same can be said for Zim with NSC. Watch every game and since July he’s been very average in the MLS. Been fine for USMNT for 12-18 months now but he has taken a step down in MLS when compared to his previous 2 seasons with the club. Who knows if that correlates to having a baby and all that comes with that but it’s been noticeable to us NSC fans.

adam tash and Gacm32 repped this.
  21. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    lol damn bro hitting me hard w/ a trump comparison. that's messed up.

i stand by, the video is not a good way to demonstrate IMO that he isn't good. it doesn't build trust, just like showing me highlights of somebody with some goals and dribbling isn't going to convince me they're amazing either in 1 minute and 24 seconds.

I'm not even advocating for Long to start or anything by any stretch, haven't watched enough of these players to weigh in.

22. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a close to home video story. My nephew wanted to play college football. Badly. He worked his butt off in HS. They had a HUDL video made. I had never seen him play in HS but his video was pretty good stuff. Not D1 stuff but damn good. He went to camps and visited a number of schools to see the coaches.

At the end of the day he had one FCS school mildly interested but they didn't have any open scholarships. He got two offers from NAIA schools so he took one. Went to that school and did all the coaches asked and more. Didn't go back for his junior year. First two seasons he got a total of maybe 2 series worth of plays. He just wasn't quite good enough. Great kid and I love him to death and he was smart enough to see the handwriting and moved on from football.

Moral of the story. Highlight clip videos don't mean jack shit. You could make a 2 minute video for Aaron Long and make him look like a world beater just like you could make a 2 minute video of Kylian Mbappe and make him look like shit.

These guys are all at the top of their profession but every single one of them has plenty of aw shit moments. And really good moments. What really matters most is their volume of moments and the good to shit ratio.....lol

jaykoz3 and Mike03 repped this.
  23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Highlights are just one data point. Don't minimize them. Don't make outsized claims based on them.

Gacm32 and ifsteve repped this.
  24. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Japan is a great test of these arguments. If Long has problems reading their attack, we will see it. Sometimes his athleticism lets him get away with positional errors, but at the top level that will be less likely to work. So let’s see how he does.

25. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Well, after the Japan first half can we stop calling people who don't want Long out there haters and maybe call them... people with eyes.

russ, The Clientele, xbhaskarx and 2 others repped this.