A World Cup where every team leads?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by 00Kevin, Jun 22, 2014.

1. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's never happened before in a world cup that every team takes a lead (it had happened that every team scores a goal in previous world cups if you were curious). I mention this because there are so many games in this world cup in which the team who scored first ended up tying or even losing, thus several of the weaker teams in each group have taken leads (honduras, south korea, japan, australia) and every team in 2 of the groups of death.

As of the end of matches on June 22, 2014
    The following 6 teams have not yet taken a lead in this world cup:

Cameroon
    Greece
    England
    Iran
    Bosnia
    Russia

what are their chances of taking a lead in game 3?

Cameroon - haven't looked much like scoring at all in this world cup and going after a host nation Brazil who will probably be looking to put on a show. seems unlikely that Cameroon takes a lead. Still, Brazil have a long history of allowing the first goal before coming back to win, they even did it once already in this world cup. So there may be a slim chance

Greece - playing ivory coast. I wouldn't nessecarily expect greece to take a lead, but ivory coast have allowed the first in both of their games. again a slim chance

England -Costa Rica have proven to be a giant killers in this world cup, but I wouldn't write off England's ability to at the very least take a lead. decent chance.

Iran and Bosnia - now here's where it really gets tricky, as these two teams are playing against each other. Iran have not yet scored a goal and only allowed one. Bosnia have only scores one allowed goal in this world cup. For those reasons it seems unlikely that both sides will take a lead. However, both of these teams are up against a wall, so maybe the threat of world cup elimination will inspire a classic? slim chance.

Russia - Set a play Algeria. decent chance.

So it looks like the odds of this happening are pretty long, anyways its something interesting to look at as the group stage comes to a close

2. Snoop-a-luh

Snoop-a-luh Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    I wish people wouldn't use stats to try and predict the most unpredictable game on earth. Who knows? Just sit back and enjoy the most fabulous sport ever created.

3. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    You will have to get used to it though, especially as the US continues to improve and grow interest in the sport. Here in the US stats are important and more highly regarded than in many other countries when watching sports.