A way to avoid draft by army in korea.

Discussion in 'Korea' started by jamisont, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Hey it wasn't easy being an officer. All that paperwork, shmoozing and worst of all, the hottest chicks were enlisted, so I couldn't touch 'em. :D

2. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California

3. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    LOL. Gundaes-liga...that's great.

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL!!

We had a saying in the Avionics side, it takes a college grad to break it, and a high school grad to fix it.

5. arsdiona

arsdiona New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    So what was with all that about Lee chun-Soo being detained in South Korea for not completing his military service? How did that one get sorted out?

6. Wargamer

Wargamer Red Card

Apr 24, 2004
    He still needs to go through 4 week-basic training.

7. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long was Ahn Jung-Hwan's service? Didn't he go for like a month or something?

8. Wargamer

Wargamer Red Card

Apr 24, 2004
    4 weeks or 6 weeks. I am not sure. Almost everyone finished except Lee, known as Chonsu the Tongue.

9. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Hey, we had to keep you guys gainfully employed! What was that saying? You may not like me, but you respect me. :D

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep, LOL, that is how it is. Of course the Pilots and us maint. guys got along very well. They knew that their lives were in our hands. And we knew it too. They bought us the kegs to keep morale up.

11. arsdiona

arsdiona New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    So the next time he comes back, he has to go through that four-week basic?

I know Ahn Jung-Hwan and Park Ji-Sung already did theirs, and so did Kim Nam-Il...what about the likes of Lee Young-Pyo and Choi Tae-Wook? Is there a certain timeframe within which they have to go through it?

12. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia

13. Metrophenomenal

Metrophenomenal New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Seoul+NJ
    there was a story not too long ago about a korean-american that came to korea to teach english and he got a notice that he needs to join the rok military. he was born and raised in the US and nevereven knew he was a korean citizen because he didnt know his father(or something). and apparently his father registered him in korea when he was born. he had already turned 23 so he couldnt renounce citizenship. so he joined the US military instead to avoid it. he was at the airport on the way to US basic and he was arrested and sent to the korean military.
    apparently he can't even speak korean. pretty messed up.

14. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Weird..I guess he had same name on his US passport as his father registered him in Korea.
    (Usually what happens is that Korean Military send a writ of summon when he turns 18yrs of age, and if they dont get responds in time, they would put that person on black list so he cant get out of the country thru harbors or airports.)
    so If he had different name written on his US passport, he wouldnt even be bothered.

Anyway since he has another country's citizenship, he doesnt have any obligation for conscription duty unless he decides to live in Korea as Korean citizen.
    Lets say he gets a job in Korea and decides to live there, first thing he has to do is getting rid of Korean citizenship. (Since S.Korea dont allow multi citizenship)

15. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Yes after they get exemption from conscription, they have to fullfill 4 weeks of basic training within 1 year of time frame.
    But if they have reasonable reasons, they can
    postpone it.
    One thing is they all have to be soccer players for next 3 years at least.

16. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    [ Lecture mode on ]

I can't believe someone would post a thread like this. As long as Kim Jong Il and his cronies are alive, Korean mailitary security is a serious matter. If every youth in Korea avoids being drafted, who would defend SK? USA? Sigh.

Just because other kids do it is not a reason for you to do it. Do your time and be proud of the fact that you served your country. We are all grateful that you did.

[ Lecture mode off ]

17. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    For me it's a matter of selection.
    Marines? Airborne? Desk jockey? We'll see.

18. hworangi107

hworangi107 New Member

Aug 20, 2004
    Haha, funny stuff. But if you're a true Korean man, u should serve in the ROK Army. Get out there and serve your country!

19. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    Hey, what about you? :D

20. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Hey, 13th. Are you going to share some of your experience in Korean Military?

21. Korean Tiger

Korean Tiger Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    As I said before, I'm going to join the Korean Navy next month. I'll stay there for 26 months. (That's too f****** long!) Has anyone served in the Korean military?

22. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Not me.. I got an exemption from conscription (along with most of my friends there)
    Back then, people over 6'5 (196cm) or 110kg (250lbs) got automatic exemption.

23. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Why? They didn't want to feed you?

24. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    It is probably difficult to hand make separate batch of cloth, shoes, socks, beds, etc. for big boys. However, Korea can exchange these big boys to serve in US army or something as exchange program. ;)

25. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    whoa, you must be a huge guy.