A vocal amount of TFC fans plan to cheer for West Ham in the ASG

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by TorFC-TML, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    For a number of reasons.

1. We dont cheer for Blanco, Beckham and Landycakes any other time. Why would we now?

2. No TFC players named to the starting lineup, hence, no hometown player to cheer for.

3. A protest has been planned for a while now to draw attention to the threat of the CFL Toronto Argos moving into BMO.

4. A large amount of the more ferverent supporters take issue with the ASG in principle, so dont like it. They dont appreciate the league's attempt to 'market' their year round efforts in support of TFC and their expectation that they will support an MLS all-star team with the same passion. In essence, the league expects to package up our atmosphere and use it for their ASG; alot of TFC fans are not okay with this.

Expect some satirical banners for this match and some anti-pointyball signs. My favourite planned banner says 'shall we sing now?'

Just a heads up. Youll probably be hearing the silly bubbles song a couple times on the 24th.

2. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you TFC fans. You are teaching us dumb Americans the proper way to support footie. You are keeping the game pure against the barbarian ways of the Americans.

If dumb Americans disapproved of the ASG, we would protest in some materialistic way, like simply not buying tickets to it. But you Canadians are showing us that there is more to this sport than simple materialistic concerns.

3. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The First XI isnt necessarily the starting 11 so there could still be a Toronto player. There will definitely be at least one subbed in at least. I don't think you can fault MLS because they picked the best players in the league statistically and a Toronto player wasn't on it.

4. The_Drizzle

The_Drizzle New Member

May 17, 2006
    Kwassa Kwassa
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well now I really hope that stadium collapses. :)

5. ianai

ianai Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Hampton, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay TFC. You guys are awesome! We should get more teams in the league that hate the league. Yay!

6. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    As long as people are in the stadium and making noise, MLS execs will be happy as they'll assume those fans will be having a good time, spending money, and it will look/sound good on tv.

in these "exhibition" games (be they All-Star or SuperLiga or other "friendlies"), I'm confident that MLS/SUM approve of any "cheering" related to the games.

For the sake of those fans in Toronto who will be cheering on the English club, I just hope West Ham doesn't lose by too many goals and that its players do not fail to properly acknowledge the fans' support after the game.

I'll be cheering for good officiating.

7. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This

8. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    I don't know why any neutral would want to cheer for West Ham. They are cheaters and they should have been relegated.

I definitely won't be cheering for them. That would go against all that is fair and just.

9. MarkRFC_

MarkRFC_ New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Reading, England
    TFC fans can do what they like, I don't understand the big fuss tbh

10. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

It's becoming harder and harder to underestimate the intelligence of TFC fans.

11. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "In essence, the league expects to package up our atmosphere and use it for their ASG"

That's ridiculous. There is a trade-off. You get to host the ASG and experience all the events that go with it. There are teams that have been in the league since the beginning that have yet to host an ASG. You have been in the league for two seasons and get the priviledge. You should be thankful for the opportunity.

Cheering for West Ham is childish.

12. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago
    Welcome to the MLS. Lemme see, what you're experiencing is no different than what we've experienced in Chicago or fans in Dallas, DC and a few other places have experienced when it comes to the MLS exploiting it's fans for marketing purposes.

Protest all you want but if you really want to sting them in the ass - DON'T ATTEND THE MATCH IN MASS -- You'll be amazed at how fast they react to what you want. It's all about the Benjamins. Better yet, don't attend the match and have a massive ticket burning in front of the stadium complete with photos, video streaming, etc...

A+,
    Fonsos

13. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Protesting for the sake of protesting? Why don't they just hold the game in Berkeley?

14. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, just to raise the childishness stakes: I plan on primarily booing both teams and singing random TFC songs - hopefully as many player specific ones as possible - if that makes you feel better.

I don't get why a TFC supporter, especially many who supporter other EPL teams, would cheer FOR West Ham but if that's how they want to have fun it's their business. The game is more or less meaningless anyways.

15. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    honestly I don't see what the TFC fan's issue is with the American Sewing Guild.

Go play in the USL you f***ing wankers.

16. RedBullFootball

Apr 7, 2008
    If you dont like something, speak out in protest.

Good job TFC. If it comes to pass, it will seperate you from the typical MLS sheep.

17. narko

narko New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mass walkout.

18. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Are that many Catholics pissed off too?

19. Negro Y Rojo

Negro Y Rojo Member

Apr 29, 2008
    I have to say it will be quite funny watching the lot of you wearing all black (in another "protest" against the Toronto Argos moving into BMO) and you chanting "United".

I get the impression that Toronto FC fans think they and their team and players are better than they actually are. In fact I've heard them say they are better than MLS, blah blah blah and wished they weren't in MLS.

Well guys, you can always go down to the USL to play against sides like the Rochester Raging Rhinos and your other two "elite" Canadian Clubs, Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps.

Ask the Lynx how that worked out.

The point is, in joining MLS as an EXPANSION side you need to know your place. Ask Real Salt Lake or Chivas fans how many of their players made the ALL STAR GAME Starting XI in year 2 of their existence.

You are acting like a bunch of whiney little kids who know little about football and less about MLS.

If you REALLY were as sophisticated and knowledgeable about football as you claim to be you'd be HAPPY your players were not going to get banged up and possibly injured or fatigued at a useless friendly midway through a season where you haven't won much.

Next to stop trying to rig the vote. Maybe one of your players would have been picked.

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not on Canadian money.

-G

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think the problem is the opposite. They know a lot about how football operates in the rest of the world, and therefore don't like how MLS operates. The rest of us simply expect incompetence and league rules that make no sense.

22. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Repped.

You are right on point.

23. salparadisejr

salparadisejr Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Hollywood, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are fantastic at supporting your team, and I feel protesting the Argos moving into BMO is necessary and a great thing to do.

You lose me at point 4 however. Some of you really need to get over yourselves.

24. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    Nobody in Toronto ever wanted or cared about the 'privilege' of getting an All-Star game.

Do you really think anybody here cares about experiencing the 'Pepsi MLS Soccer Jam'?

25. Negro Y Rojo

Negro Y Rojo Member

Apr 29, 2008
    We know a lot about how football operates in the rest of the world too yet felt no need to protest MLS cup in OUR stadium when we couldn't spend more money on players to boost our depth after having played in so many competitions and thus were bounced out of the playoffs as a result by teams that had none of those demands placed upon them.

Did we protest MLS rules and the salary cap?

No.

I'm sick of all this cock stroking of TFC fans. No one cares.