A.Vidal vs B.Robson

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by annoyedbyneedoflogin, Dec 31, 2014.

1. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
    Please tell me why one would be better than the other.
    :thumbsup:

2. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    because of the class difference.

to put it simple..

its liek comparing a 25.000 euro volkswagen with a 45.000 bmw

bryan robson is a top 10 box to box player of all time..

and vidal isn't even top 20. so the difference in class is jsut to big.

annoyedbyneedoflogin repped this.
  3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    why these two names in particular? Two different styles, two different leagues, two different eras ...

4. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    How are they different in style? I would really like to know more about Robson, as I am under the impression that they are both all-time material. How do his direct ball winning qualities and engine compare to vidal's?

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Similarity: both playing the same role as complete box-box midfielder , very aggressive and good in defense as in attack.

Styles are different:
    B robson was more of a commander of his team while Vidal was more of a playmaker/AM for his team
    I would say Vidal was a bit more flashy for his SA style than Robson (very straight forward) style as in English type
    Vidal likes dribbles and passing, while Robson passes more than dribbbles ...

6. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    i thank you for your interest.
    tbh i still have little clue about robson. vidal dribbles even less than xavi, so i can't see that comparison.
    is it that vidal makes himself avaible/open for the pass, as a playmaker, and robson just heads for the penalty box?
    being named a great tackler, did robson ever reach the insane amount of over 5 tackles average per match in a season? i mean, loose from numbers, did robson have instant solutions like vidal? or did he "get stuck in", as i read about him, and disrupted the play with less direct recovery of possession?

i would be greatful for more details on the matter.

7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Bryan Robson captained his country at the 1990 World Cup and wore the armband at Manchester United - but who were his best team-mates?

This week on The Fantasy Football Club the former midfielder picked a #One2Eleven of the top talent he played alongside...

Bryan Robson best XI (he'd played with) in 4 4 1 1

-------------------------- Lineker-----------
    ---------- Keegans --------------------------
    Giggs ----------------------------- S Coppel
    --------Gascoigne ---- R Keane-----------
    D Irwin ----------------------------P Neal
    ---------- TAdams --- McGrath-----------
    ---------------- P Schmeichel---------------

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/21901/9500785/bryan-robson-picks-his-one2eleven

8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #8 JamesBH11, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    A brief of Bryan's (style of playing and impact)
    (read more in http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...manchester-united-greats-bryan-robson-7387568)

[​IMG]
    Sir Alex Ferguson never believed in the notion of a one-man team – describing the idea as ‘repellent.’
    But if one player could sway his thinking, it was Bryan Robson.

There is no denying that on the park Robson had far more impact than any one player, however outstanding, could normally be expected to have,” wrote the former manager in his autobiography: ‘Managing my Life’.

“At Old Trafford he carried an aura about him and it was understandable when I arrived, there was a feeling around the club that winning or losing largely depended on whether or not he was playing.”

Robson was a beacon of hope for United in their wilderness years.

9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Bryan Robson named as Manchester United’s most marvellous MF
    MANCHESTER UNITED’S Captain Marvel of the 1980s and 90s, Bryan Robson, has been voted the club’s greatest ever player by his fellow Old Trafford legends.
    He topped a poll of United legends from several different eras with 15 votes, ahead of George Best on 14 and Bobby Charlton, in third place, on 13. Then came Paul Scholes and Eric Cantona on 11 each, with Roy Keane the only other to reach double figures on 10

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...-named-as-Manchester-United-s-most-marvellous

10. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I actually think this is a pretty fair comparison between two relatively similar players. Both very complete, hugely determined but blended grit with skill. Both scored a lot more goals than expected for a player of their ilk.

Vidal has been the best CM of the last 4 years in my opinion. This season he is suffering badly from his injury and is yet to get back to his best form. I think that also he is more versatile in terms of where he has played, featuring at centre back and left-back as well as central midfield.

Robson was unlucky to play for United during a relatively weak era for them. He never had the luxury of playing in a side as dominant as Juve have been. Had he played a decade later he'd have won lots of titles. Also unlucky in terms of injuries at two World Cups. With Robson fit England might well have gone further in both 1986 and 1990.

Overall Vidal has potentially had a higher peak but Robson was obviously consistent for longer. Vidal needs to get back going again from his injury to get to the level of Robson.

JamesBH11 and annoyedbyneedoflogin repped this.
  11. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    very well said (bold part)