A very close look at the badges and possible changes

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Jul 30, 2008.

1. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, the red really clashes with the blues. I say blue leaf or soccer ball.

2. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    Yes, of course, because red white and blue don't go together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No matter what way you spin it, blue leaf = Toronto Maple Leafs, and Vancouver effin' HATES Toronto. It can not and will not grace the jerseys of the Whitecaps. Ever. It just ain't happening.

3. escorpiao

escorpiao New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  4. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Johnny, you and I are on the same side, so I promise not to roll my eyes, but seriously: there is more than one shade of blue, and not all of them look good with red. =)

So, fine, no blue leaf. Then I vote no leaf at all. I like the soccer ball in the crest just fine.

As an aside, what if we changed our colours to include gold?

GOLD, SKY BLUE, DARK-BUT-NOT-NAVY BLUE and of course: WHITE!

5. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And wasn't this my reason for excluding Red from our kit in the first place?

6. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    No ones talking about having a red kit. It's just a small part of the badge and it's a symbol of your country, not Toronto. What is your problem with the leaf? It's much better then a ball and as some pics show, it has history with the Whitecaps uniform as well.

7. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry I'll roll em, the red looked bad with the shades of blue that were posted, not the dark that are on the flags posted, :rolleyes:. They could just put the canadian flag on the jersey sleeve like seattle did with the jersey they unvieled. The leaf does'nt need to be right on the crest to show patriotism, Toronto already did that. It's not like us in the US are going to forget where your loyalties lie. I really like the crest above with niether the leaf or the ball with the peaks in the backgroung.

8. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's like no one is actually reading my posts in their entirety.

I don't want Red on the kit because Toronto is known as "The Reds". It's called a rivalry folks. I am Canadian, and proud to be Canadian. I don't feel like I need to have a red leaf in my team badge to validate my patriotism. I DO feel that Red should be excluded from the Caps uni to validate my club fanatacism.

Barcelona supporters don't want White (Real MAdrird) on their unis, but I don't think they are not proud of the UN. :rolleyes:

Some people like the red leaf in the badge, I don't. It has nothing to do with patriotism (I wouldn't mind a NON-redleaf) and everything to do with club pride and enjoyable aesthetic (which is SUBJECTIVE...and this subject hates it.)

9. mlssoccer

mlssoccer New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Vancouver
    Good stuff. It will take time to get used to the sponsorship idea compared with what the Whitecaps currently have but with the rumoured $50million expansion fee I think they will need to go this route and what you have above works great. I like how you incorporated the new colours of badge ideas that have been thrown around here. For the home white jerseys, the RBC logo should remain as the one above (without the gold dominance if possible).

10. NF-FC

NF-FC Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Niagara Falls
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That is a fantastic looking kit, but it still needs the whitecaps bar across the chest

11. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree with the above poster. Whitecaps without a horizontal bar is like Ajax without the red centre stripe or Boca without the sash.

I actually don't like the unis colour all that much either, to be honest: it's monochromatic, for one, and the blue is too...cold and greyish.

12. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Boca doesn't have a sash, River Plate does ;) Boca has the yellow bar like the Caps through their blue tops...

13. escorpiao

escorpiao New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The adidas full uni template I have in gimp doesnt have a vertical stripe layer. I do have a template thats shirt only that does have the vertical stripe. The Chicago Fire Kit.

I took the colours from piltdownman's logo design.

14. escorpiao

escorpiao New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  15. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    right, fair enough...The Home Kit is White with the Blue Bar and the road kit is Blue with Blue shorts with the white Bar across the chest

16. escorpiao

escorpiao New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  17. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    ACK! I get it, I get it! You like monochrome kits. *retching violently*

18. escorpiao

escorpiao New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    yea I like the Argos.

Should I use "SKY BLUE, DARK-BUT-NOT-NAVY BLUE and of course: WHITE!" instead.

19. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I appreciate how good your mock-ups were, I just prefer more "colour" in the colours. If the darker blue was a bit brighter and fully blue, and the sky blue also a bit brighter and fuller.

Voila!

[​IMG]

20. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Middlesbrough old away kit reminded me of what a Whitecaps uni would look with advertising.

[​IMG]

21. DjTannerr

DjTannerr Member

Dec 3, 1999
    New York/Milwaukee,WI
    Here's my go at badges:
    A whole new try, and ode to the flag and city's whitecaps
    [​IMG]
    Using the wave, and trying a different format
    [​IMG]
    An update on the current. I don't like the castle thing on top.... but just to satisfy the one suggestion.
    [​IMG]

22. DjTannerr

DjTannerr Member

Dec 3, 1999
    New York/Milwaukee,WI
    Some kit samples...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Nice work there DJ...

The top one is closest to what I envision I would do If I was Caps Brass.

24. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    I'd much prefer not to see the horizontal bar on the jerseys used for ad placement. I'm hoping they continue to fill that space with "Whitecaps" or "Vancouver" text for home/away respectively... something below the bar seems to look cleaner....

One of my favourite 86ers jerseys was the red one with the black collar... There was a silvery-white patch on the stomach for Canterbury Brewing featuring Union Jack flags, and Arco had an ad on the reverse side at the back below the player number.

Damn that takes me back. When Arco arrived in Vancouver in the early late 1990s, gas prices plummeted to 30 cents per litre ($1.20 per gallon)...

Back then our dollar was crap compared to the USD too.... I think it actually worked out to 80 cents US per gallon back then!

Sadly, we're paying just shy of $6 per gallon now, and our dollars are essentially at par.

25. TO2988

TO2988 New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    good clean design