A united Yugoslavia team?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Toolhead, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    A united Yugoslavia?

I just posted on another sports forum regarding Eurobasket 03, when I got to thinking, all former Yugoslavia republics qualified for that tourney, imagine if Yugoslavia hadn't broken, how good would they be? That got me to thinking about how good a united Yugoslavia would be in Futbol? Croatia placed third in the 98 WC and qualified again in 02, Slovenia qualified for WC last year and were fancied by some to qualify for the second round. Also Serbia & Mont. and Bosnia Herz. have good sides, all four former Yugoslavia republics still have a chance to qualify for Euro 04, so I figured i'd ask the people on this forum, how good would a united Yugoslavia be in soccer? One of the best teams in Europe? the World? or just another decent European side?

2. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The same goes for Russia to some extent, and Tjechoslovakia.

Right now a unified Yugoslavia would probably qualify for the Cups more convincingly. :)

3. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I just posted this on the other forum regarding Euro 04, when I got to thinking, all former Yugoslavia republics still have a chance to qualify for that tourney, imagine if Yugoslavia hadn't broken, how good would they be? Croatia placed third in the 98 WC and qualified again in 02, Slovenia qualified for WC last year and were fancied by some to qualify for the second round. Also Serbia & Mont. and Bosnia Herz. have good sides, so all four former Yugoslavia republics still have a chance to qualify for Euro 04, so I figured i'd ask the people on this forum, how good would a united Yugoslavia be in soccer? One of the best teams in Europe? the World? or just another decent European side?

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A united Yugoslavia with a well-organized FA could, indeed, be quite good.
    Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way.

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Serbia and Montenegro is, in fact, out of the running for Euro '04 after yesterday's draw with Italy. Their inability to beat Azerbaijan (tied at home, lost away) did them in.

6. Bosnian Unit

Bosnian Unit New Member

Yugoslavia together will be one of the best NT in the world.
    In football,in basketball and other sports.
    But i dont care,i love my Bosnia & Herzegovina and Yugoslavia is history.
    I was born 1984 and, i dont know much about Yugoslavia.
    And world should know one thing:Bosnians will never be UNITED again with those who killed 250.000 of our brothers and sisters.

7. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Sorry, I didn't mean to dredge up bad memories, my bad. I was just asking a hypothetically question regarding football, maybe I should have thought more about the geo-political situation in that region before asking such a question, again I'm sorry If I offended in anyone.

8. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe people should just be smart enough to realize that this is a hypothetical discussion about football and nothing else. People have to lighten up in this country, or wherever the hell they are. Don't apologize.

9. Bosnian Unit

Bosnian Unit New Member

Who delete my post?
    Are webmasters here Serbs!?

I just said,Bosnians will never be united again with those who killed 250.000 our people and that was it..

This is crazy...

10. Freddie Adu

Freddie Adu Member

Mar 6, 2003
    NYC
    Ya that would be a nasty team. S&M (hee hee) and Croatia are good footballing nations on their own. Croatia was pretty good in WC98. Imagine that team with then Yugoslavia's stars added to it. Too bad, but in a way this way is best.

11. Bosnian Unit

Bosnian Unit New Member

Hey man is cool,i was just saying that we will never be united,becouse nobady likes nobady here no more.

You can talk about Yugoslavia and whatever you want,i just told you the truth what is happening today here.
    We dont like Croats and Serbs,Serbs don like us and Croats,Croats dont like us and Serbs..
    Is crazy but is true..

So there is no reason 2 be sorry,you did nothing wrong.

Take care man :).

12. Bosnian Unit

Bosnian Unit New Member

I did not talk about politics etc..I just said we will not be united.

But you,you dont know anything.
    You think Balkan,and Bosnia is all about war and stuff they show you on television.

Thats what is sad,becouse West dont know true about us.

Like you said,this is only 4 football and i dont want 2 talk about something else.But dont talk about us something you don know.

If they killed you brother,mother and cousins you will think the same.

But you are in West where is peace all the time,and you just know war from video games thats all.

Before you say something about somebody,please have a respect for them.

13. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I've also wondered the same thing if there were a "West Indies" team like there is in cricket. Can you imagine such a team! With all the players who instead play for European national teams - Thuram, Seedorf, Davids, etc etc. But that's the way it is.

14. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    source?

15. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go back in history...who hasn't been f@#*!ed? I'm of Peruvian descent - does that mean I should hate all Spaniards who decimated the Incas? Ask the American Indians about there always being peace in the West. The Germans did it to the Jews, the Turks did it to the Armenians, Stalin did it to his own, the Brits did it to the Indians and Boers, the Americans did it to the Indians, etc. Nobody can go back in history and not see hostilities and atrocities by them and against them. It's just our world. But this question was about a united Yugoslavia football team and not about politics which just keep you in the stone age since you can't move on.

And before you tell me how much I don't know, you should know that my best friend here and roommate is from Croatia, my two best friends in Germany (where I lived for three and a half years) are from Montenegro and Macedonia, respectively. I know quite a bit more about the situation than you think...

16. sjquakesfan

sjquakesfan New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    A unified team from the former Yugoslavia would be among the top 5 or 6 European teams, and would probably be better than the unified team from the former Soviet Union. However, this is just a hypothetical concept as the above teams will never play together as one.

17. Bosnian Unit

Bosnian Unit New Member

I understand you man,no doubt..

But what i said im standing behaind that.

We all in Balkan try 2 live together for a 1.000 years.And all that time we fight against each other.
    It was war every 50 years,100 genocide has been done 2 Bosnian people and last one is in 1995 in Srebrenica.

Please lets dont talk about this anymore..
    Balkan is crazy,and we are all crazy so..Please belive me what is going on ,and your friends can tell you the same..

Peace :)

18. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Team chemistry on the united Yugoslav teams was never the best. The republics seemed to play better and get better results after separation (especially Croatia and Slovenia). Bosnia also seems to be doing well in Euro 2004 qualifiers.

19. Partizan_fc

Partizan_fc New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    New York City
    Yugoslavia were the best team in Europe in 1992. They got to the finals of the European Championships but were disqualified because of the civil war. The team Yugoslavia beat took their place and won the Cup. It was pretty f-ed up.

20. Partizan_fc

Partizan_fc New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    New York City
    Bosnian Unit, just chill...
    We are not here to talk politics, just soccer.

Anyway, back to the topic. Yugoslavia were the best team in Europe in 1992. They got to the finals of the European Championships but were disqualified because of the civil war. The team Yugoslavia beat (Denmark) took their place and won the Cup. It was pretty f-ed up.

21. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    This is the commonly used number and I haven’t heard anyone trying to dispute it .

22. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    It is total crap that the Balkans are a especially violent, evil and savage place. That was the stereotype that some of the western politicians and “intellectuals” were spreading to justify not doing anything to stop the war. The Balkans were actually more peaceful than most parts of Europe in the last 1000 years. Even the term “Balkans” is completely unhistorical, as a name of this region it was first used only 80 years ago.
    BU, I understand your anger but you are overstating it when you say their was war every 50 years and that their were 100 genocides on Bosnians. And I know you didn’t mean that literary. Bosnian Muslims were by far the biggest victims in the most recent war and horrific crimes were committed against them inWW2. But it is wrong to idealize your own history and see your self as the eternal victim. BTW , I am also a Bosnian Muslim
    That was a bit off-topic, just felt t had to be said.
    As for football the old Yugoslav tams were often troubled by ethnic divisions. That was not the case, absurdly enough, in the last years of it’s existence because Osim was picking players on merit.

23. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    underachievers as they've been as long as Yugoslavia existed

24. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Agreed. Yugoslavia had good teams throughout history, but their record speak for itself. They have always known as Europe's biggest underachiever until the breakup. An unified team will be much better on paper. Winning is more than a tweam with good players.

25. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    How about merging this thread with the one in the Euro 2004?