A thread for random thoughts about music

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Michael K., Dec 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Hungwilly Howard Dean America Mix is the the song of 2004.

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Have y'all tried out Apple's GarageBand yet? It's basically ProTools for Dummies. I need to spend a slow rainy day playing with it.
    My boss comes in with his own Chemical Brothers-esque track every morning now. I think I would like to create a dance mix of my fart.

Which reminds me. Roy Orbison's "I Drove All Night" is the thinking man's "Born To Run".

4. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to play around with Acid DJ, but never stayed with it long enough to finish a track. I should get involved with that again.

5. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am convinced.

The only bands worth anything to come out of the 80's are as follows:

The Violent Femmes
    The Police

(the pixies don't count as they didn't really pump it into high gear until the 90's)

6. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've taken to makign short, pointless sound clips on ACID using outtakes from my band's album that i recorded and processing the living hell out of them, the nposting them on my xanga on a weekly basis.

I might eventallly make song songs on them, and dub over ukulele and vocals. it'll be my "solo" effort.

7. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
  8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a dream last night that I was having a conversation with Paul Stanley about the the early 80s period when KISS took off their makeup. He said to me, "Nobody really cared did they?" I said, "No."

9. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    For any Smithereen fans out there, Capitol will be releasing a 2-CD anthology set to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the band. A DVD will also be released at the same time.

Bill Q.

10. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    They've just rereleased all the Echo and the Bunnymen records remasterd with bonus tracks...great stuff of course, but all I've done in the past week since picking up the remastered "Porcupine" is alternating between singing "the cutter" and tJack Black's linein "High Fidelity" about the Jesus and Mary Chain

"They always seemed so what? They always seemed *#*#*#*#ing great, that's what they seemed. Picked up where your precious Echo left off..."

11. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    Somedays you regret living in the middle of nowhere, watching decent local bands fail to make it because they're from the middle of nowhere and pining because you missed some great bands because they broke up when you were 14 and you couldn't roadtrip to see them.

And other days the Pixies announce you're the second date on their reunion tour.

Anyone going to Coachella?

cheers,
    hobbes

12. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to firing up the XM Satellite. Seems like there could be decent station or two available.

13. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    When is someone going to cover the Nails' "88 Lines About 44 Women?"

Like British Sea Power or The Fat Boys or somebody, fer chrissakes.

14. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    And speaking of when...

When did the sound of Peter Gabriel's voice make me wretch?

I remember liking a fair amount of his songs as a youth, yet I heard his craggly, plaintive whine inadvertently leak out of my car radio the other day -- and I phsyically flinched.

Straight up Pavlovian. Interesting.

15. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    And speaking of youth -- and my woeful distance from it . . .

I'm feeling particularly creaky these days because nothing has made me musically happier recently than the binge purchase of several of the Rhino double-disc Elvis Costello re-releases.

Wow. I know they're praises have been mentioned on this board before (okay, once by me) but these are yet another Nobel-quality, MacArthur Grant-worthy service to mankind from Rhino. Somebody get them a National Medal of the Arts, stat.

16. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Okay, one thing that makes me feel not so creaky . . .

The aforementioned British Sea Power and their great, great record "The Decline of British Sea Power." Extra points for the lead singer who manages to whisper and scream simultaneously throughout most of the album.

Double extra points for clever name/album title nexus.

17. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Other notable whisper-rockers:

The dude who calls himself Iron & Wine
    The dude who sings for The Clientele
    Joe Pernice of the Pernice Brothers (especially during his Scud Mountain Boys days)
    The chick from The Cowboy Junkies (Margot Timmins? or is that an actress?)
    Nick Drake of course

18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    - What is it about cold, gloomy, North Sea weather that brings out the best in musicians?

Raveonnettes are quite rocking, and Belle & Sebastian and Camera Obscura are representing Scotland pretty well. It's not that they're necessarily better than their English or American counterparts, but they just seem to have more fun making sweet music.

- If God worked on Day 7, He would have written the codes for this page: www.adtunes.com
    Which provides a segue to...

- Which advertiser has the coolest music right now - Mitsubishi or Target?

19. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Isn't it time for a Haircut 100/Adam & The Ants/Thompson Twins reunion package tour?

20. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice resurrection....

Some advice: DO NOT buy the Franz Ferdinand EP. It doesn't matter how cool you think "Darts of Pleasure" is, or how fun "Van Tango" is, because their collective greatness is more than offset by the talentless anti-matter that is "Tell Her Tonight". Maybe the worst song ever. "DoP" is on the yet-to-be-released full length album, so live with Kazaa until then.

21. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's a few years since I've been in the UK, but what the hell actually precipitated the return of Peter frikkin Andre?

22. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Dan Bejar (destroyer) simply must not care that we don't have a secret decoder ring to decipher his lyrics. Honestly. WTF is he on about during his new album. ********ed if I know.