A thread for random thoughts about music

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Michael K., Dec 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    I hear Richard James lives in an underground bank vault. If so then thats very cool.

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's been years since I played anything by Arto Lindsay, especially his dissonant stuff from his early days. I'll have to rectify this situation today.

3. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I appreciate metal. I just can't listen to it. Does nothing for me.

How long will it take for Phish to dissapear altogether? Can't happen soon enough for me. Perhaps they and their fans will dissolve if they ever take a bath. Which means they'll be around for a while now I suppose. That also apparently explains why they never DO take a bath.

Also how long will it take for that strange brand of commercial kiddie rap-metal crap (Lincon Park, etc) to dissapear altogether? Put Lincoln Park and Phish in the same barrel and shove them off on an excursion over the Niagra Falls please, will someone?

Sigh....when oh when will Belle and Sebastian and The Magnetic Fields inherit the earth? I'm counting the days.

4. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    You ever have those moments when you hear a song, think it is really good and briefly wonder who the band is....only to realize that it's a Beatles song you haven't heard in a while?

5. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    --I think I'm becoming an AFI fan
    --Blackstar Galactica, please.

6. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Missy's gaining the weight back, isn't she?

7. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christmas season has officially arrived; I heard Dominic The Donkey on the radio this morning.

8. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rosa Parks is suing Outkast? That's just stupid.

9. Col Mustard

Col Mustard New Member

Oct 16, 2000
    London
    If REM had released Reveal in 1986 it would have been heralded as a masterpiece.

and Q Magazine is utter bollocks.

10. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Is she suing the Neville Brothers too? They had a "thank you Miss Rosa" song a while back.

(I don't know why Outkast is being sued. But I'll agree it's stupid.)

11. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    If you had spent more than ten minutes with me over the last month, we would have gotten around to the greatness of Cafe Tecuba, how their latest album is their weakest, and how they are supreme distillation of an outrageous amount of musical influences.

You would have thought me obsessed.

12. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    The Super Furry Animals song "Juxtaposed with U" is perfect. It reminds me of the theme from The Love Boat and I love, love, love it.

13. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    I used to listen to a lot more of that stuff than I do now, but Slint still makes me happy. Mogwai and Godspeed! don't really do it for me, though.

14. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I thought it was better than Reves. Its better than anything in latin rock right now, along with Molotov. Saw them in concert 2 weeks ago along with Placebo and they ruled.

15. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    early stuff = DNA, right? What's it like other than dissonant? I've only heard his recent (Brazilian) stuff and I love it.

16. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best thread in this forum in months.

Yes I know that the stations are really really really expensive, but why does every single goddamn commercial radio station in New York City suck balls? I know no one who likes any NYC station -- couldn't someone jump in here and totally dominate the market by playing things that people actually want to hear???

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sorry, but to answer that question would require a series of thoughts that are not random.

I have nothing to say and I am saying it.

18. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Where did you see them? I am trying to figure when next they are in the states or Northern Mexico and I guess I am not looking at the right web site...

19. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    beck.

"So shave your face with some mace in the dark"

"and my time is a piece of wax falling on a termite, who's choking on the splinters"

Now I remember why I like Beck.

20. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rockin the town like a moldy crouton!

You could say Beck is music about random thoughts.

21. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Soooo true....

22. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    I saw Korn's video for "Right Now" last night...WTF?!?!?!?!?

23. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    CL Smooth, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you...

24. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really miss the various pop quizzes people used to run in these fora. Yeah, I know they'd usually get spoiled by some person(s) who googled all their answers, or the quiz 'host' might just run out of questions after a time, but they were good fun. I miss them.

And now, just for you St Etienne lovers in this thread, I'm listening to my absolute favorite tune of theirs, the epic "How We Used To Live", before I get myself to bed.

25. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    My bad. Im in Mexico city studyng and saw them at the foro sol her on nov 29th. It had La Mala Rodriguez,Kinky,Gustavo Cerat, Cafe Tacuba and Placebo. Best concert i´ve been since Cafe Tacuba is my favorite band and it was better than the last time I saw them in PR in 99. Acording to their website they will play New York tomorrow and Chicago on thursday.

They did a tour throughout Mexico this year so I think they will go to the US and the rest of latin america next year.

Here is the link to their site.

http://www.cafetacuba.com.mx/