A thread for random thoughts about music

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Michael K., Dec 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I've been attacked by "moderators" before. Although I think this is the first time I've been double-teamed.

Don't forget to trash my reputation while you're at it. You can get some tips from "monster" if you need them. He's an expert.

2. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Assassins

Yes, others did. You're not the only musical theater fan here.
    Then let's go at it. Have you seen the National Theater production currently running? It is probably the greatest revival I've ever seen, and I find it shocking that no one has transferred it to Broadway yet. By the time I saw it in London Martine McCutcheon had left, but I got Joanna Riding instead which is a step down in UK star power but a huge step up in live theater ability. And I was very thankful to miss Pryce as Higgins because I think he's totally overrated but his departure made it easier to get tickets at late notice; instead I got Alex Jennings who I did not know previously but was exceptional -- even if, at times, I felt like he was playing Rex Harrison playing Higgins instead of interpreting the role himself. Regardless, it's a show that could be performed by monkeys in diapers and it's still better than, say, Bombay Dreams.

Six versions of the soundtrack is a little bit obsessive, isn't it? Are you Jonathan Schwartz in disguise?

3. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Nah, you're doing a fine job on your own.

4. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BING! :)

5. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    "Blues at Sunrise" by Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughn is one of the best blues performances I have EVER heard.

6. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Re: Assassins

I remember it -- it's pretty much verbatim to what Obie just posted.

Hi.

By the way: you're a pompous, uninteresting tool.

Signed,
    A newly minted Boca fan.

7. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rp, where are you? Maybe you haven't seen the NT production of MFL so you feel a bit awkward responding. So let's try something different.

For all the talk about how Rodgers & Hammerstein is the most successful and influential music / lyrics team ever, Moss Hart was really a better lyricist than Oscar ever was. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Hammerstein's style (lyrics before music, instead of vice versa) made for better books but worse songs. Who knows what Hart could have done in his later years had he not drank himself to death?

8. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
  9. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Nikka Costa maybe the most underappreciated pop musician of our generation. Or not.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked that one hit she had a lot.

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of one hit type of folks, I think that Joss Stone is real cutie:

[​IMG]

I about fell off the couch seeing her in the little bare midriff top and the ankle length skirt on VH1 divas. That's a good look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Nikka has a funk-ay voice, a rich man's Macy Gray if you will. I'm pretty sure it's her singing "Everybody Got Their Something" in the current Mitsubishi commercial.

- Joss Stone is cute indeed. And if nothing else, she's got some nads for doing a cover of that old time classic, "Fell In Love With A Girl".

13. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    No, I haven't seen the the National Theatre production of "My Fair Lady." I haven't been to London in well over a decade, unfortunately.

To respond to your earlier post, yes, six (or seven, counting the LP I mentioned) is probably a bit over the edge as to versions of the score I happen to own. Especially when one of them is the laugh riot with Jeremy Irons, Kiri Te Kanawa, and John Geilgud. I have nine "The King And I" recordings, now that the original London cast has finally made it on to CD. Ten, if you want to count the soundtrack to the horrifing animated film from the late '90s.

You are, of course, referring to Lorenz Hart, not Moss Hart. And Hart was certainly still able to punch out good lyrics even at the end. The last complete show with Rodgers, "By Jupiter," proves that, and it is a score which has never gotten it's due alongside their fabulous run of '30s shows. But the thought of Rodgers and Hammerstein never having teamed up is almost unthinkable.

Hammerstein's "style" was probably necessary to lead the revolution into the post-war Golden Age, since the elevating of the book's importance and quality had to be the number one priority. What Oscar needed was someone like Rodgers willing to compose almost completely to pre-existing lyrics. This was not really the situation he had with Jerome Kern, if I understand correctly. Kern wasn't generally willing to sacrifice his music to lyrics or anything else. I believe he was pretty stern about that.

I've always prefered the type of stuff written by Hammerstein or Alan Jay Lerner over Hart or Porter, for example. But they were all great, so I'm not knocking anyone.

14. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Which version of "Now That We Found Love" do I put on my iPod? O'Jays, Third World or.... Heavy D & the Boyz?

15. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Why not all 3?

16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Beacon, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I am convinced there was never a better song written about war than Little Boy Soldiers from The Jam's classic album Setting Sons.

LITTLE BOY SOLDIERS Lyrics

Its funny how you never knew what my name was,
    Our only contact was a form for the election.
    These days I find that you don't listen,
    These days I find that we're out of touch,
    These days I find that I'm too busy,
    So why the attention now you want my assistance -
    What have you done for me.

You've gone and got yourself in trouble,
    No you want me to help you out.

These days I find that I can't be bothered,
    These days I find that its all too much,
    To pick up a gun and shoot a stranger,
    But I've got no choice so here I come - war games.

I'm up on the hills, playing little boy soldiers,
    Reconnaissance duty up at 5:30.
    Shoot shoot shoot and kill the natives,
    You're one of us and we love you for that.

Think of honour, Queen and country,
    You're a blessed son of the British Empire,
    God's on our side and so is Washington.

Come out on the hills with the little boy soldiers.

Come on outside - I'll sing you a lullaby,
    Or tell a tale of how goodness prevailed.

We ruled the world - we killed and robbed,
    The ********ing lot - but we don't feel bad.

It was done beneath the flag of democracy,
    You'll believe and I do - yes I do - yes I do -
    yes I do -

These days I find that I can't be bothered,
    To argue withthem well what's the point,
    Better to take your shots and drop down dead,
    then they send you home in a pine overcoat

With a letter to your mum

Saying find enclosed one son - one medal and a note -
    to say he won.

17. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Her last CD still gets pretty generous rotation in my Toyota's CD player. I still can't understand why she didn't hit it bigger than she did.

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just found out that Joss Stone is 17. I feel like the dirtiest of dirty old men...that is until she turns 18 next year and then its all good.

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arvo Part is the greatest composer ever. People can argue Beethoven this, Bach that, Mozart whatever...its Arvo Part. Case closed.

20. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    This is going to sound like I'm being an ignorant, knee-jerk, jerk but it's an honest answer:

I've never really heard anything by her. But when her album came out I saw her face plastered all around town (an immediate annoyance) and all I saw was: big hair, big sunglasses and ass.

Thus, I thought: "Corporate, tail-feather schlock," a la Britney, Avril, Spice Girls, et al, "but like '70s style. You know -- Lenny Kravitz, but a chick." And my head turned off.

So y'all are saying she's good?

21. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I can understand why your reaction was the way that it was. I thought of Lenny Kravitz too when I first heard about her.

FWIW, I think she's pretty good. Not the most ground-breaking musical effort, but she knows how to lay down the funk.

22. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    When I first saw Nikka Costa, I immediately thought Janis Joplin. Except, I'd much rather listen to Janis.

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one song (whatever it was called) had a good groove.

24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    How would the universe have to change for there to exist a Mott the Hoople tribute band?

25. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Has anybody else heard this new Toots and the Maytals album? I just heard a track on WOXY -- a remake of "54-46 was my number," a song I know more from Yellowman than Toots and the Maytals.

But apparently this new disc is all remakes of his older stuff with Clapton, Ryan Adams, Bootsy Collings and many, many others. Jeff Beck, of all people, was on the track I just heard.

I heard the track with Bootsy a while ago and kind of liked it. This one.... not sure. It does make me want to dig out my Toots albums, though. Man, what a voice.