A thread for random thoughts about music

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Michael K., Dec 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I used to date a girl that liked them. It may be just the two of you though ;)

2. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope not...because I redeemed some of my Pepsi bottlecaps on songs from those albums.

BTW, what are you doing later? ;)

3. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    "You're so vain.
    I bet you think this song is about you.
    Don't you.
    Don't you.
    Don't you."

Well, isn't that song about him? What's the freakin point?

Right up there with Morissette's "Ironic" in my book.

4. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did Dave Matthews join Modest Mouse? I seem to have missed the press release on that.

5. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 30 second preview section on the iTunes Music Store has saved me from many a bad purchase. I had heard such lovely things about The Decemberists, for example, that in the past I would have just bought the album. Now I know they're not for me. Thanks, Apple!

6. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Band Name of the Week:

Inspect Her Gadget

(as heard this morning on the KUSF concert calendar)

7. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -Calexico kicks very much ass.

-Iceland must be really weird if Sigur Ros is the biggest thing to come out of there.

-I think there may actually be such a thing as having too many CDs.

8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Strange isn't it. I must admit, I love the band but the new album just isn't hitting me like the past few before it.

9. Gabbage

Gabbage New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Oh my. It's MORRISSEY!

10. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone picked up the album by Eagles of Death Metal titled Peace Love Death Metal. I Heard their cover of, "Stuck In The Middle With You" and then caught a review of the album on NPR's Fresh Air. I'm hoping to get some other feed back on them before buying the album.

11. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Band Name of the Week:

This is My Fist.

Playing somewhere in Oakland apparently, this weekend.
    I may miss it.

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Morrissey is on the cover of NME and Spin right now. Two decent articles. And he looks quite dashing for a man of his age.

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're in need of getting chilled out, Afel Bocoum will sort that shiznit out for you.

14. Gabbage

Gabbage New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Yes, I read a transcript of the NME interview. I also bought a ticket for one of his shows at the Apollo.

15. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Assassins

Let's talk about serious music written by serious people for a change.

Stephen Sondheim's "Assassins" opened on Broadway Thursday evening. I was able to attend a critics preview on Wednesday afternoon and it was a pleasure to see this work on its feet. Knowing it only from the 1990 Off-Broadway cast album, it was terrific to finally have a chance to experience the full dramatic impact of a top-notch stage production.

Ben Brantley's rave in Friday's Times was the icing on the cake. Rumor has it that Frank Rich, who didn't much care for the piece upon its initial brief run in 1990, will have a very positive notice on the work in Sunday's Times. He'll claim his change-of-heart was the result of now realizing the show was ahead of its time. It's nice to live long enough to watch Frank Rich eating some crow. I've still yet to forgive him for his mindless trashing of a superior revival of Rodgers & Hart's "On Your Toes" back in 1983.

For those who don't know (which is probably everybody on these boards), "Assassins" is a musical about the lives and thoughts of the men and women who have assassinated or attempted to assassinate U.S. presidents. John Wilkes Booth, being essentially a fore father to those who have followed him in U.S. history, is a constant and even dashing and charming figure lurking throughout the proceedings. The dozen years that have past since this was written have only added to its relevancy. Today, it's acquired an immediacy not possible back in the early '90s.

Sondheim's score is a pastiche, which he is quite adept at, 1971's "Follies" being the prime example. The show includes the important addition of a song written after the show's first run concerning the emotional void left in ordinary people after Kennedy's assassination.

This is a fascinating and enjoyable score by America's finest living composer. The 1990 Off-Broadway cast recording from RCA can still be found, and there will no doubt be a new recording of this revival.

(By the way, the recording of Stephen Sondheim's "Bounce," an unfortunate out-of-town flop from last year, will be released on May 4 by Nonesuch. Another must-have item.)

16. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Re: Assassins

Rumor has it? The Sunday NYT Arts Section is already on the street. What kind of rumor is that?

You prove yourself an ass, again.

There are at least 2 Equity members who are active posters on this board, and more than a few theatre historians here as well.

Keep your retarded insults out of your posts here.

17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I trust you'll post a review.

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why do you assume everybody on these boards is some backwards hayseed with no knowledge of theatre or other fine arts? :rolleyes: I worked as a classical music promoter for 4 years and presented concerts by groups/individuals like the Bolshoi Symphony, the Warsaw Philharmonic, Gil Shaham, Emanuel Ax, Kathleen Battle, and countless others as well as founding a series of performances promoting the classical and traditional arts of non-western cultures.

19. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate

Actually, you're one of the few people on the music board I take seriously. I apologize, but only to you.

20. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate

Rich wouldn't have been able to get a review put in this Sunday's Times because, as you no doubt are aware, it goes to bed early in the week. Look for it in the future.

21. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate

I'm breathlessly awaiting their reviews. We seem to be inundated with them. As a matter of fact, there are so many posts about musical theater and recordings, I can't keep up with them all...

22. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial

You said it would be in Sunday's Times. It wasn't. As if it matters.

You made a claim that probably nobody on the board would know what you were speaking of. Do they need to post some high-school newspaper style review like yours to prove you wrong? Nope, not a chance.

Anyway, this is a thread for random thoughts, not reviews, nor arguments like my own post here. Please start a new thread next time you feel the need to post a review/insult.

23. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I said this to you during the quiz: if you want to start a thread debating the merits of the National Theater's revival of My Fair Lady vs. the 1964 Rex Harrison / Audrey Hepburn film version, I'm all there. Go at it.

24. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC

My random thought for the day: what kind of loser trolls a music thread?

25. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate

Frankly, I don't recall ever having you mention this to me or posting me about it. I recall you asked one Broadway question during the quiz and I nailed it. I'd love to know if anybody else did.

I have 6 versions of My Fair Lady on CD, as well as an LP of the 1976 20th-anniversary revival which Columbia hasn't seen fit to issue on CD yet. I guess that means I wouldn't know what I'm talking about when it comes to My Fair Lady.

EDIT: Yes, the Jonathan Pryce version is one of them.