A thread for random thoughts about music (Volume 2, Electric Boogaloo)

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Footix, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I like the Stills, I'm not much for the Thrills, and I haven't heard the Kills or the Mills Brothers.

2. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My folks loved the Mills Brothers and that love was passed on to me early. They're a great vocal harmony quartet modeled after The Ink Spots of the 30s and 40s(how's that name for a cultural throwback).

What's really cool about the Mills Brothers is that they would break into these dead-on vocal "instrumental" solos, where they would create trumpet or trombone solos with their voice. On many of them, you wouldn't even notice it's a voice if you're not paying attention.

They're the precursor of that vocal dude who hummed those rock songs. He was linked on this board a while ago . . . I forget his name, but someone here still has the link I'm sure.

[​IMG]

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It kills me to think that for some people, Kenny Wayne Shepard is what springs to mind when they think of blues music.

4. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    "White People arn't suppose to play the blues, white people are suppose to give the blue."

5. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Sonny Boy Williamson's impressions of a London session with Eric Clapton and other British rockers:

"Those guys wanna play the blues so bad, and man, they just play the blues so bad."

6. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Michael Marra is the Scottish Tom Waits? Sure I'll buy that.

7. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
  8. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    But then music (and soccer) goes out and rips open old wounds.

Music (and soccer) is funny like that.

- Also, I was at a wedding this weekend where the band leader was Chuck Folds, the brother of Ben Folds (essentially a little nerdier but a little more extroverted, slightly balding version of Ben) and the lead singer could do dead-on renditions of Marvin Gaye, Ray Charles and Method Man. You haven't heard Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" until you've heard Weezer's "The Sweater Song" mixed in. Fantastic band.

9. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah!
    Sonny Boy was a snarlin' mofo.

10. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Walking around Home Depot yesterday, I heard the most hideous cover of my favorite Material Issue song ("Everything"). No frickin' respect for the dead.

11. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    No way!

Covered by who? Muzak? What a strange choice for a Home Depot.

12. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    No, by an actual band. Some very lethargic, growly-sounding guy. Not the type of voice you would expect to sing a song like that. I'm guessing it might be that band's "girl song".

13. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's hilarious. I guess Jim Ellison's estate is still trying to pay off some debts or something.

14. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just pulled out some old Mission UK discs today. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed them.

15. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I'm trying to decide on the best song ever created in the 90s. I've narrowed it down to five finalists. In no particular order:
    Paula Abdul - "Cold Hearted Snake"
    Presidents of the United States of America - "Peaches"
    L.L. Cool J - "Pink Cookies In A Plastic Bag Getting Crushed By Buildings"
    Guns 'N Roses - "November Rain"
    Jodeci - "Freakin (Wu-Tang remix)"

I keep forgetting how much great music came out of the 90s.

16. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love it when bands release an e.p. of outtakes or remixes or live stuff or whatever to tide you over until the next full length comes along. Two years between albums is too much and it's nice to have a little snack in between.

17. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    --I'd love to start one of these rock revival bands, but I don't like wearing tight pants.

18. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your post about a wedding band reminded me of a funny story. For my sister's wedding, my father hired the band Looking Glass since they were then offering themselves up on the wedding band circuit and he liked their one hit "Brandy".

Well, after the contract was signed, my father and sister sat down with the band to discuss songs they'd play during the wedding. At some point, my father suggested that they play "Brandy" at a key moment during the reception. The band then told him that the guy who had written "Brandy" had left the band and the agreement was that they could use the name Looking Glass but he would retain the rights to "Brandy" and they couldn't perform that song.

My father was dumbfounded and exploded on them yelling, "Are you telling me that I just hired the only band in the country that can't play "Brandy"?!?!?!"

It was an obvious overreaction but still a very funny situation in hindsight. So, whenever I hear that song, I have a good laugh.

Murf

19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    God I miss that band.

20. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    That's hilarious.

The things that happen when music and business collide.

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Outside of Mark E Smith I cannot think of anyone who would choose to rhyme Dolly Parton and Lord Byron without making me cringe.

22. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Did you ever see them live? Brilliant. Better than you could ever guess from listening to an album.

23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

never, it makes me very, very sad. I actually had trhem in my sig line not to long back. I wish i had some at work right now.

24. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Oops, sorry.