A thought on our attacking woes

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by dsylvest, Aug 8, 2002.

1. dsylvest

dsylvest Member

Jan 18, 1999
    DC
    I think about this far too much, but I gotta vent.

Our trouble is that no one on the Utd team shoots from outside the 18. We work it into the six for a first look and forego the rockets from 16-20.

Why does this happen? A couple of reasons, in my opinion. First, our attack is a painfully slow thing to see develop. As Diablo dictates the tempo of the match (slow), the ball moves at a snail's pace into the attacking third, allowing defenses to fall in behind the ball and re-establish defensive marking and spacing responsibilities that a fast attack would not allow for. Second, we have Jaime and Marco, who appear to be afraid to face the net and have a go unless they can hear the 'keeper's breathing.

We've always had a pretty slow attack, and our players have long been reluctant to fire from distance (since 96, unfortunately), so we've developed a team psychology of "work it closer, work it closer" rather than an explosive give/go attack that looks to goal at 30 yards and fires early.

So I recommend:
    Bench Etcheverry, and...

Play this way:

.....Quinty......Tino
    ............Jaime
    Olsen....Convey....Chino
    .......Lazo/Namoff (yes I know)
    Reyes...Prideaux...Pope
    ...........Rimando

2. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I've been saying this for a solid two years now.

The team must make keepers earn their shutouts. Geoff Aunger was one of my favorite players for his willingness to unload a powerful shot from distance (and his willingness to distribute justice on the field). Even if many of the shots were off target, it forced the defense to loosen up and step to the ball, opening spaces for other players.

3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the problem is that Albright, Wood and few others would take those shots and end up hitting seat behind La Norte. For all the things he did wrong Talley at least got those shots on net. Armstrong could also put the shots on net. Now we get shots from Williams, ungh.

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think Talley was the last of the outside shooters, although Q2 did unleash a medium range missile in his debut.

5. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Never forget Eric Denton's mazy run, finished with 25 yard missle against SJ at the beginning of last season.

6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, but he shot high more than on target. That one was a thing of beauty, though.

7. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Re: Re: A thought on our attacking woes

I believe you're spot on here. Opposing teams don't feel threatened by us when we've got the ball 20 yards out, so they tighten up closer in and snuff out the attack when we try to walk the ball into the net.

If we're shooting often from outside, at some point the defense has to come out which opens up the space near the goal, which opens up better scoring chances.

8. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    We traded Perez, who also unleashed a few cannons in his short stint.

And, even if they miss the mark, the long shots still show the defense that we're varying the attack - not just looking to play the ball into the box. It forces the defense to spread out a bit, thus creating the passing lanes.

Dave

9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But some of these shots were so poor that the defense chuckled at them, I saw the grin's on their face from my seat behind the goal. They would taunt and tell them to keep giving them that shot.

10. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Doesn't matter. You don't think they also grin when watching Lassiter mis-time a jump for one of Bobby's crosses?

Dave

11. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Yeah, that's true it happens. Presumably though, at some point a few of them do hit the target, and hopefully the defenders are still giggling from the last one as the ball narrowly misses their head and settles into the back of the net...

12. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Not to mention Tino's 30 yard blast earlier this season that ABSOLUTELY NO ONE got to see because the game in Dallas wasn't televised. :(

13. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Face it, we haven't had a consistent (4-5 shots per game, 2 on net) decent long-range shooter since Harkes, with Williams providing the laughers. Talley, Denton, Armstrong, Aunger and Tino (who seems to only shoot from outside) have all had their moments but they didn't do it often enough to make any defense think they're a threat.

Dave

14. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I saw it. MLSNet had a few replays of it from some amateur cameramen.

See it here:
    Baltimore Blast.

But I agree with your point CHICO.

15. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Bring Aunger back, he had one hell of a shot. He'd also appease those angry Canadians that have boycotted the team after the Mark Watson experiment didn't pan out.

16. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Not to mention getting rid of Yallop...

Dave

17. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Ah, Talley truly one of the last of the V-8's...

Sure, DC United rarely has players that shoot from the outside. Shooting hard shots from the perimeter is one way to feed your poacher who lurks at the 6yrd box because shots are parried rather than held or bounce of the crossbar/uprights or richochet of defenders. United doesn't take these shots nor do they launch crosses from the side.

However, the recent problem with the "dribble" into the net approach, that DC United uses, is that everyone needs an extra touch or two on the ball instead of popping off the shot first time. The problem is not speed of players but speed of thought! No one is reacting first or making the quick pass or shot to unbalance the defense. Every player on the team seems to need about three touches to "get comfortable" before doing something with it!

18. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Quickly Linking the Defense to the Offense

Sweet! Thanks for the link Lowe!

I agree about taking shots from distance and about faster play through midfield. In fact this thread highlights that same philosophy:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=4994

-Tron

19. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    This is absolutely true. I wish I had a nickel for every time I screamed "SHOOT IT!!!" at the top of my lungs while watching one of our guys receive the ball in/near the box and then stop to have a think about maybe fixin' to score at some point in time....

20. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia
    We also have the tendency to wind things back to the defense before pushing forward, thus getting the opposition defense time to regroup and pack it in against us. Better that we just charge forward.

Remember what Wayne Gretsky's dad told The Great One: you can't score if you don't shoot.

21. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Villegas used to shoot from distance at times with the Metros, has he stopped since going to DC?

JMac

22. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure you can call those shots.

23. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't really matter much if a shot from medium to long range is on target. It just needs to threaten the goal.

Now if this is done early and often, the defense must respect the potential shot while covering their players, thus opening up more passing room. And the keeper must stay mentally sharp expecting a shot from at least 35 yards away, and stay on his line.

As it is now, with the DC United unwritten rule where the team must have 35 touches in the area before a shot on goal is taken, the teams just play against the pass.

Villegas takes one shot per game from outside the area. The team needs 5 or 6 in the first 20-30 minutes.

You don't score on %100 of the shots you don't take.