A thought on Nigeria

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by SCoach, Sep 21, 2007.

1. SCoach

SCoach New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Tallahassee, FL
    As I was looking at the results and standings of the tournament so far, something stood out to me.

Nigeria played three matches, drew one and lost two. Nothing special in that. However, they were the ONLY last place team in a group to finish with points, and in goals allowed, two other teams in their group allowed just as many. New Zealand gave up 9 goals, Ghana 15, and Argentina 18. Nigeria allowed just 4 in a group with the US and N. Korea, who many here feel could both win the whole show. Sweden was no slouch either as they proved by tying the N. Koreans.

The question is, do you feel that if Nigeria had been in ANY other group, they would have advanced? I am not necessarily a Nigeria fan (I support the US and Brazil) but in just looking at the results, this really stands out.

2. Nillan

Nillan New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Lund Sweden
    Club:
    LdB FC Malmö
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Sweden diden´t tie NKorea they won 2-1. And yes Nigeria is a better team then people think.

3. SCoach

SCoach New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Tallahassee, FL
    Sorry, yes, Sweden beat the N. Koreans.

4. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    I don't think Nigeria would have advanced. They are better than the 4th place teams, but not the 2nd place teams.

5. SCoach

SCoach New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Tallahassee, FL
    The managed a tie with Sweden, and only gave up one goal to the US, which is better than N. Korea managed. Do you really feel they would not have been competitive with the likes of China or Australia? Maybe not, but it's food for thought. I'm sure that little boycott stunt didn't help their focus any either.

Other than the rather disappointing play of the US, this has turned out to be a VERY fun cup to watch. Competitive for the most part, quite high standard of play, some good personalities on the field, some rising talent that has been fun to watch, and the quality of broadcast compared to years past is night and day. This is a boon to those of us who record these games. I just wish they'd rebroadcast one match per day from the group stages so I could record all the games.

6. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    after watching the Nigerians play, in any other group, they would have done 3rd place or an upset for possibly moving on. they played so much better than in 03

Let's just say that they have improved tactically so they can get away from tactics they employed in the past, their Fitness level seems to have improved.

the problem is, they are not getting enough support to take it to the next level and become a contender, but they are sending players abroad to play and that is a good step for them. right now I would consider them on level with the Brazilians in 03, lacking one or 2 creative players to make the next leap