A Team Canada Thread (again...) [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by gousa9, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    oh...

and i'll make some comments about the roster later tonight...i'm just still too shocked at the lack of izzy-ness, and i just have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that something must have happened (ie. injury)...... :(

elaine

2. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    izzy

hey guys-

found out why izzy is not on the roster :)()

she reinjured her shoulder again recently (supposedly she separated it again). this should be the same shoulder that she injured during the trip to europe last summer, and the one she had surgery on last fall to "fix". it's a bummer that she's not going to play b/c of this, but hopefully she'll be better soon, and be back on the field!! and for her to be "at the top of her game", as coach says, it must be a big disappointment.

and from my observations, this shoulder has been a "pain in the butt" for awhile, as i remember seeing footage of izzy back during her days in nebraska icing that shoulder in the locker room....so it's a nagging one! lol

i hear that izzy's pretty bummed about it (the injury) as well as the team...

i'm planning on sending izzy a 'get well' type thing, so if you have a message to wish her well, drop me a PM or an email (gousa9@excite.com) so that i can include it.

elaine

3. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    CP article

hey guys-

CP finally has an article about the roster:
    so official confirmation about izzy, and why there's only 17 players on the roster...

and the more i look at the roster, the more i can't seem to find a player who could play that left back/left flank spot that izzy occupies...the first player that comes to my head that would fit well in that position is isabelle harvey, as she's an awesome left sided player, but she is not with team canada this fall....so who could go there? i could see amy walsh moving from the right side to the left side...still a blank...hhmm....

WISHING IZZY A SPEEDY RECOVERY!!!

that sucks she got hurt on sunday, at the first practice too! i wonder what happned! lol...that's exactly why i was so shocked to see izzy's name NOT on the roster, as the 18 player roster i had a week ago had her name on it, thus an injury must have taken place...

elaine

4. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    hello...anybody out there? lol

anywho, found out that u19er Melaine Booth will be the player replacing izzy on the roster...good to see her taking part!

elaine

5. bigdottawa

bigdottawa New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Ottawa
    Would've rather seen Katie Thorlakson called up instead of Booth. I think a few people share the same sentiment.

6. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    hey there-

katie's an awesome player, but i would have to agree with calling in melanie booth because:

a) katie has never received a sr. team call up yet, and i think she would have to be called into some sort of training camp before being named on a roster for such a tourney like the gold cup. i am sure in the next while she'll have that chance to prove herself. booth, on the other hand, has already a few full int'l caps under her belt, having travelled with the team to europe this past spring, and playing in the aussie series last month.

b) isabelle morneau is the player that is injured. she is a defender. booth is a defender. while i am in no way saying that booth can play izzy's left back/left flank spot (i don't think booth is a wing player, more centrally based), they need the defender. if katie had been called in, she would be fighting for a spot in the front line with the likes of hooper, sinclair, burtini, lang etc...

but what that in mind, i wouldn't be surprised to see katie part of the mix in the near future!

GO CANADA!!

elaine

7. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    I liked Booth at the U19's. I'm happy to see her called up.

8. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So, is Nicci Wright no longer in the picture for the women's national team? Is it safe to assume that she is now the third in the depth chart? I always thought she was a decent keeper, and I was hoping that she would get called up to the team.

Who starts on the 30th vs Haiti? I assume that LeBlanc will be the starting keeper?

9. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What happened to Latham? Where did she go?

10. BB99

BB99 New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Latham

Christine is playing NCAA for Nebraska. Nebraska has certain standards for marks before players can be released to play for National Teams. Look for Christine to reappear once her school is done.

11. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    That's my guess, although I certainly expect to see Erin get some pretty decent face time.

12. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    from what i know, nicci is still in the "picture", but has fallen down to the third keeper in team depth. i also agree that i always thought very highly of nicci and believed she was an amazing keeper, and hopefully she'll continue to get her chances to show coach even exactly that!

i think leblanc and mcleod will have a nice "fight" for the starting job...i have a good feeling that they will alternate games during gold cup, and possibly fighting to play in hopefully the gold medal match!

and with regards to latham, BB99 answered that nicely. latham hasn't been with the team since the usa vs. canada series back in july of 2001, and hopefully she'll be back with the mix of things after school!!

elaine

13. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    and the plot thickens...

new CP article from today:
    this isn't too surprising to me...but hopefully the team boycotting the gold cup will not happen, as that will be just awful, awful.

hopefully things get squared away, and in some sense, i'll have to agree with what the players are saying...

elaine

14. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wonder who will break first? The women do deserve more money, because for many of them they are taking time off from their full time jobs. Hopefully the CSA can reach deep into their pockets to give the women what they deserve. I am sure some thing will be worked out.

I hope...

Pipe has to go, for the good of Canadian soccer.....

15. donzerly

donzerly New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Toronto
    It's ridiculous that the women are paid so little.

Are those figures for the World Cup cumulative? In other words, if Canada wins the WWC (yeah, right!) do the players get $21,500 each in total, or do they get

$ 4,000 for showing up
    $16,500 for winning bronze
    $18,500 for winning silver AND
    $21,500 for winning gold
    $60,500 total?

16. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A Team Canada Thread (again...)

Since many of the players are univeristy-based, they can't even take the bonuses without getting into trouble. The CMNT has players who lost salary for playign for their country and never got it back. The women are trying to use their sudden fame to make severe demands.

17. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Re: A Team Canada Thread (again...)

true, but there are also players on the team that are not in school, and they should not be penalized b/c of this. and i think what hooper was speaking is about is not just the players currently on the team, but for the future. you want a system in place so that when those players get out of school, they are compensated justly, and for the youngins' coming up ten...twenty years from now.

i'm not sure if those numbers are added up for the WWC, but i have a feeling it's NOT. and my biggest urk about the disparity is the whole fact that the women don't get "compensated" for exhib. matches and friendlies like the men are.

hopefully things get squared away, cause it would be a shame if something like this keeps these players who have been working so hard for the last 2 years from attaining their goals.

elaine

18. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    to change the subject a bit...

just watched soccercentral that i taped earlier today (as i was playing bball), and they started a 'road to wwc 03' feature type thingie, and showed some footage of the team playing a boys team...couldn't really see much cause there was a whole lot of fog, and it looked rainy/wet/slick, and visibility was really really low. they interviewed coach pellerud and hooper about the gold cup, and nothing too eventful was said.

also, just a heads up to those who are interested, but kara lang will be featured on CBC's POVSports show this thursday afternoon (i believe it airs from 4:30-5:00 locally) it's a kid-orientated show that looks into athletes and teams, and its a neat show, and i'm sure kara will be great in it.

elaine

19. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Official "preview" on team canada @ GC...

here's the link to concacaf's "preview" of team canada at the gold cup:

http://www.concacaf.com/news/article.page/1023

and a small blurb from the article...
    sniff sniff, obviously this was done before izzy's injury, but the fact that they listed her as a "player to watch" (so to speak) makes it even more frustrating for me to get over the fact that she won't be playing!! :(

also, izzy flew home on tuesday, so she won't even get the opportunity to watch the games in person!

elaine

20. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A Team Canada Thread (again...)

Men getting compensated? I just starting writing my response since I was laughting so hard.

The mens team often had to give up starting positions with their clubs to play for Canada. When they returned from international duty, they found their spots taken by other players and they didn't get back into the fold for months. Many of the players lost huge chunks of their salaries because of international commitments.

You might argue that Radzinski is in the EPL now. True, but he had to leave the MNT fold in order to better his chances. Craig Forrest no doubt had his carrier stunted due to his commitment. This has practically happened to anyone who has palyed on the MNT. Even Hooper's brother suffered.

She should see what the men are going through before she becomes so self-centered.

21. donzerly

donzerly New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Toronto
    Self-centered? Self-centered?

You think Charmaine Hooper does not know what her male counterparts have to go through?

You think she hasn't had her own share of problems with her professional club when she wants to be released to play for Canada - for free?

You think she's only thinking of herself when she complains about the women's team being uinderpaid? In her comments she expressly referred to the younger (student) players and what their situation would be like in 4 years' time. Hooper likely will be retired by then.

Maybe you should stop "laughing" so hard and try thinking for a change.

22. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    very nicely put donzerly!

:D

elaine

23. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    update on situation...

here's the latest CP article from today about the dispute:
    elaine

24. BB99

BB99 New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Compensation

Anyone have an idea of the USWNT compensation for the Gold Cup and World Cup?

25. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    No idea. But there was an article on just that in one of the old SIW issues. I'd ask in the FCM forums.

I stumbled across this site on the CSA site
    http://www.trueplayer.ca/

with Carmelina Moscato's diary during the U19WWC

I was there b/c I saw this

on the metrowomens soccer site.