A striker, please. And a CB. And some hope. (Transfer Thread)

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    I think having a former SAS trooper in midfield would be pretty cool.

2. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Bent issues Tottenham ultimatum

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/feb/13/darren-bent-tottenham-hotspur-premier-league

He will have to give 200% and improve his overall game if he is going to overtake Defoe, Keane and Pavy.

3. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me I feel its good and bad for us. Bent has tremendous athletic ability and when in the box and he has the ball in shooting position he is usually going to score. The bad is his mouth and it seems his attitude. He doesn't ever stop going to the papers. Personally I like him and think he has been decent this year. 2 goals in 1 min is good for me. Still if we can get a big target man to fill his shoes....(Pavel Progrebnyak) then I would be very happy. Pavel would be someone would accept that 4th striker role for a couple years but hopefully by then he will be a big part of the first team. Also he is good friends with Pav so I mean that is a plus.

4. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For the rest of the season he'll be a sub with Keane+Pav the default front line. Personally I can't blame him for saying this, given how the manager has belittled him in public. He'll do allright at a mid-table club (step up from us, then :rolleyes:) that has fewer strikers on hand. You could see him at Fulham, perhaps, or Portsmouth. Everton are short but that is aiming a bit high for him. Still if Saha is good enough for them I would think Bent is.

But 2 years ago, he was doing great at Charlton and we all thought he was an upgrade on Defoe. Overpriced, but still an upgrade. Now we got Defoe back as an overpriced upgrade on Bent...

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    are you kidding?

he's been the model professional at a club that's largely squandered his not inconsiderable abilities. berbatov and keane got all the minutes, and yet it was bent who kept his head down, kept working, and wanted to stay. and for what? to try to fit into a team that can only be described as chaotic. he refers to how difficult it's been to establish an understanding with his fellow strikers at spurs, and fair enough; but he doesn't even mention the clown college that has been our midfield. he gets practically no service, whatsoever. and when he has had it, he's been far, far more clinical than the likes of keane and defoe, neither of whom could be arsed to stay, despite being immeasurably more favored than bent. then, to top it all off, when he does miss a sitter, his manager slags him off in public. unbelievable.

subject to the same, most of the prima donna strikers of the EPL would have told this club to stuff it long ago. and, frankly, they'd've been right to do so. darren bent's behavior at spurs has been exemplary. i hope his next employers are more deserving of it.

6. Lombard

Lombard Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Well said.

We overpaid for him at a time when we didn't need him, and have never had a team that he fit into very neatly. But that's mostly not his fault. He's deserved far better treatment than he's gotten.

7. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
    Quite simply, Bent is a good player whose style just doesn't suit our current get-up. His game is all about making intelligent runs, getting behind the last defender and springing the offside trap. For this to work, he needs good delivery from deep in midfield. The only player who could provide that (imo) is Hudds, who is not getting the minutes either.

Without Huddlestone, Bent gets no service. Maybe Modric might be able to play this role, but often he's too far forward to really pick out the pass that Benty needs. Service from the wings means nothing to Bent, as he's not really a target forward, nor is he that great in the air. And pairing him with another forward doesn't seem to work either, since he's doesn't have an understanding with anyone.

Now that we have Palacios (who can cover a lot of ground in the middle of the park), Harry may well give Bent and Hudds a shot together. But really what they need are a run of games, which he's unlikely to get. Shame to see someone not get a proper shot, but Bent will definitely be sold this summer.

8. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Even when he was on the bench he would be bumping those gums. Seriously he talks a lot and to say play me or Im off is stupid. I think he has done well and Harry really must not want him on the pitch but he has to understand that he should keep it quiet when were trying to get out of relegation trouble.

9. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Does that apply only to darren bent or everyone?

What about lennon, jenas, or bentley? They've opened there mouths every time tottenham pick up a point or 3, yet they fail to grasp that there team is still in the relegation Hunt, and thus all talk of champions league, top4 finish is 100% OUT OF LINE.

Bent is your leading goalscorer.

10. rbpierce

rbpierce Member

Jul 19, 2008
    los angeles, ca
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    and you are the leading prat on this board.

is this guy gonna get banned or what? this is not vietnam, there are rules here (right?).

11. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dude, whats Your Problem?

This is BIGSOCCER...............Not Bigtottenham.

12. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Give him a chance...he is converting to a Spurs fan cause Arsenal is getting boooorrrring...:D

13. arak0r

arak0r Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Wareham, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    and this is the tottenham hotspur section, not the retread arsenal twat fans section

14. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get out of here. Nobody cares about your thoughts for the last time. Go and get a job sir... A JOB!

16. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Taiwo would be a big upgrade on Ekotto, physically strong and good going forward.

17. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't need anyones approval on this site to post. I can do that where ever i feel like it.

Some of you need to put your club loyalties aside, and grow up. we aren't 9yr olds here, trying to insuanate that im "vietanamese" as if that we're some sort of an insult is telling about your group here.

Most club forums here get along, even with there rivals, but not you guys. This is an internet forum.:cool:

18. rbpierce

rbpierce Member

Jul 19, 2008
    los angeles, ca
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    here's the thing, you come over here to talk shite and then get all bent when people react poorly to it. if you want to have a productive conversation im sure no one will react negatively, but that is not what you are doing. if you want to talk shite, go to the england rivalries forum and not the spurs board.

p.s. the comment about vietnam is from The Big Lebowski and has nothing to do with race, but is a reference to the Vietnam War

19. arak0r

arak0r Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Wareham, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    why stick around and troll/post where you arent wanted? what kind of a loser are you? then you get even more upset when people dislike you for that kind of idiocy. there are other arse fans and other team fans that come in here, and they get along fine, because they arent huge ********twats like yourself.

20. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Unless you're upsetting the regulars. In which case, you can get a forum ban. Last chance.

21. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Even if i we're to come in here and say that "tottenham are the besT" I'm sure they'd still flip out. my posts aren't negative or racist or expletive filled.

The problems start when they see "supporter:arsenal"

But ok, Warning taken.

22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    that's really not the case. skizz used to post here quite a bit, and ho meat pops over every now and again. never an issue.

i would break it down thusly ...

one can post on his rivals' boards in any of three manners:

1) footy dialogue. these are simply posts for the purpose of advancing conversation and comprehension. players ... managers ... tactics ... whatever. on its own, this will seldom be unwelcome.

2) banter. this is having a laugh, but with the purpose of sharing the laugh. rivals engage in it all the time, and its one of the staples of support. how 'welcome' it is may vary with content, but it will seldom be met with venom. if you're doing it right, the natural response is more banter.

3) trolling. this is posting for the purpose of pissing folks off. simple. and it is never welcome, regardless of who the troll supports. furthermore, over time will give the lie to the notion that 'i can post wherever i feel like it'. no forum (that i know of) on bigsoccer is even remotely tolerant of it, and certainly not this one.

your problem is that you seem to be bit all over the place. now, i'll grant that the difference between 2 and 3 can be down to perception, but it's hardly as though one has no control over how his posts are received. a little diplomacy goes a long way.

just give a moment's thought to what kind of response you're trying to provoke when you post here, and you'll realize that it's pretty much down to you.

23. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
    No, they're just devoid of any sense, purpose or value.

No one likes you, no one cares what you have to say, no one appreciates your point of view, and you know this full well. Hence, the only reason you post here is to piss people off, which is something you should be banned for doing -- no matter what type of language you use.

The very fact that you've hijacked multiple threads with your nonsense should be grounds enough. Now, go away.

24. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You know full well that you have been trolling, and a similar approach to posting in the Arsenal forum from someone on here would trigger a hostile reaction from the natives, and has done in the past.

Bad enough that you troll, now you whine when you get called on it. Good grief.

25. N-I-C-H-O

N-I-C-H-O New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we get back on topic and just ignore the troll. The more we aknowledge his douchebaggary the more we will have to deal with it.