a small team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is likely true, but one can only go off there actual experiences at the time, which is more then any one of us can even attest to I'd imagine?

bostero24 and markmcf8 repped this.
  2. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    All right, but if I want to continue the corporate analogy, and I do, if you're running a company you can't just say "we're going to get a fantastic director of marketing and that will compensate for the fact that our directors of operations/finance/tech are terrible."

I don't know how this ended up on our keeper's thread -- should be in small team or elsewhere?

mjlee22 repped this.
  3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7453 markmcf8, Jun 21, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
    No, not Ike.

The reason I posted this was to suggest that our team is even more dysfunctional than I thought. There’s more than enough blame to go around for everyone. Lots and lots of blame!

But my point here was that it’s even worser than I thought.

If Fisher rebrands the team (while still in San José) a fraction of his fans will bail never to return. And we need to spend money in many more departments. It’s not just about the roster spend or the transfer fee spend. We need to spend on the academy, and scouting, and analytics, and video training, and marketing, and more.

We’re just way more messed up than I thought. That’s all.

Go Quakesfans!!

4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. This testimony is just evidence that Our team is more f#$&ed up than I previously thought. And I previously thought that we were inept and stupid.

Go Quakesfans!!

5. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand thats how I took what you shared, its an actual insight from a player's experience. I'm very curious who it is because it lines up with what Sam Cronin has said. He talked about his time in SJ was memorable and fun. But there was always a chance of a rebrand they talked about when the stadium opened, and uncontrolled chaos among the opperations.

This isn't by anyway a free pass for Fisher, but just how uncontrolled the situation is and Fisher being brash by entrusting 'suits' to run a soccer club.

I understand from what you've shared? Is this kinda what is in line?

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    markmcf8 repped this.
  7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If only someone knew a moderator who could relocate the posts. :)

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7458 markmcf8, Jun 21, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
    Yeah, that. Also, he still talks to people in the club. I mean, there aren’t a lot of players and FO people in the whole league. They all know each other. Even those who have retired and moved on still talk to their pals. We still see Dayak at Quakes events, Khari Stephenson too. Just because he left our team years ago doesn’t mean that he doesn’t keep an eye on us.

Go Quakesfans!!

Kaitlyn repped this.
  9. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course! MLS is a very small good ol' boy network. The NFL is the same way a bigger scale but its a who you know you know type of thing. I'm getting to see that side of the world. It really is a who you know, and once your in your in.

bsman and markmcf8 repped this.
  10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes! On the money. Hell, Jimmy Conrad still talks to people in the Quakes!

And if Fisher wanted to win, he’d fire the incompetent dorks he hires to run the team. He’d rather have multiple bad seasons than eat a salary or three. In no way do I excuse Fisher.

I’m saying that it’s worse than I thought.

Go Quakesfans!!

11. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All this tells me is Fisher cares about business, doesn't care about anything else. No shame or fault there from a business practice. He's in the green for profits for this club, so it doesn't matter to him elsewhere.

To fans of course this is treason. I understand this. As a business, if he's making profits, why change anything?

I dont excuse Fisher, but I also don't excuse the absolute incompetence of Chris Leitch, Jared Shawlee and Luchi Gonzalez who are the other 3 in charge of things. Fisher doesn't hire coach.

Boysinblue and markmcf8 repped this.
  12. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The former player doesn’t seem to blame Fisher as much as I do. But he does blame Fisher for being cheap. I blame Fisher, and I blame lots of other people too.

Again, I posted this guy’s opinion because it shows me that our organization is even more messed up, stupid, self-defeating, short-sighted, and more tolerant of failure than I had previously thought possible.

Go Quakesfans!!

Quakes05 and Kaitlyn repped this.
  13. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yes thats right, a lot of former players are still connected to the team, talk to people who work for the team etc.

The world of soccer is very small.

bostero24 repped this.
  14. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No and I can understand why players won't directly blame an owner, they aren't directly reporting to the owner, their boss is the GM/Coach/President. So thats where a lot of it can come from. Thats not hard to understand.

It is very interesting though to hear their experiences and thoughts because they're all going to be different.

15. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    The ones I’ve talked to going back over the Fisher era have been quick to acknowledge that the problems here start at the top. These are some well known names that I’ve run into here and there around town and had a chat with. I agree it’s best not to throw their names around but I’ve always found them to be clear eyed about Fisher being the barrier to any success/progress in SJ due to his miserly ways.

markmcf8 repped this.
  16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Gosh - this whole conversation reminds me how out of the loop I've been for the past two years. And I'm OK with that. I have almost 25 years of wonderful memories, and I appreciate that they won't continue to be tarnished by the realities of how things are at EQ LLC these days...

markmcf8, Boysinblue and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  17. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is denying that, but if you can't boot the boss, then what do you do? When profits are being made?

Someone pointed out there are perennial losers in every league that still love there teams. But you can't blame Fisher for anything other then financial resource.

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's all of marketing. Back when I was a baby, the folks who washed out of the accounting program mainly ended up in one of two places: health care management or marketing. I can count the number of marketing execs I've worked with AND respect on one hand and still have enough fingers left to scratch my ass...

markmcf8 repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, there are 2 things - the long term and the short. Right now the team needs to stop the bleeding. If it means "overspending", by Quakes standards, to stop the bleeding, it's probably going to pay for itself in terms of recovered revenue from hanging onto customers that you were going to otherwise lose. Gotta try...

And the only mechanism that the Quakes probably have at this point to make an impact signing is the U22 program. If you sign someone that helps you this year, great, but if not so much and they have promise as a young player, they help you more the next year, etc. And for the home run, they help you a bit this year, more the next year, and then you sell on for $$$.

20. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Enjoy your new home!

21. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    we’re still in here talking about our perennial loser team so I guess we still care. I’d say we can blame Fisher for hiring incompetent people and not replacing them fast enough when they’re coming up short. Hiring incompetent people to begin with causes all kinds of problems and sets us back.

And the finances, kind of gets to the heart of the matter, as you mentioned recently. Funding for everything, we’ve been on the short end for years.

You need the right people running the show and you have to be willing to invest what it takes to succeed.

We’re lagging way behind.

markmcf8 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I stopped reading and caring about it but I thought this things was to have been finished by now?

Why is it taking so long to complete?

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Government is involved so will take longer than necessary.

falvo repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Are they holding out for a kickback?

don gagliardi repped this.
  25. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    i don’t think they’ve even started building yet. As with mostly everything Quakes, we hear nothing.