a small team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx BigSoccer Yellow Card

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7376 xbhaskarx, Jun 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    breaking records

2. xbhaskarx

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the Quakes and their slippery grass could have just screwed over the US Olympic team...

Ranking Bay Area Soccer playing Surfaces
    [​IMG]

3. xbhaskarx

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just gonna assume F--

4. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd consider that a win the Ultras beer bellied over macho beta males blocked you. They think they're the 'best' support group in MLS when most of San Jose's own fans hate those guys.

It was better hearing the Faultlines drum all game then the same 3 songs repeated over and over again. The whole taking the shirt off when we score is so stupid.

5. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should take Aaron Long

6. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is the harder job?

Being an Earthquakes ticket rep trying to sell season tickets or working for the PR department and having to come up with a positive spin on an extremely dreadful season week after week.

7. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    Ouch...not a good look for the league, although he's 100% correct.
    He played for an organization that actually spends and tries to be one of the top teams.
    We most certainly fall in the group of losing many games and it's ok!

8. xbhaskarx

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since you say he's "100% correct" can you answer one question:
    How is it more "Ok to lose some games in MLS" than in LigaMX when
    - Neither league has pro/rel?
    - Technically ~60% of teams make the playoffs in MLS versus ~55% in LigaMX, but we know that in reality 4 of those 18 teams aren't really making the playoffs, they're really getting a ~50% chance to make the playoffs via a play-in game. So really it's 16/29 which is... also ~55%.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  9. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    I never compared ligamx with MLS. You did. They're both mediocre to bad leagues. They are also looking for more money, hence the pathetic percentage of teams making the playoffs. Just like us "making the playoffs" lady year in the most pathetic way possible.

10. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf

11. xbhaskarx

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What... you literally posted a video of Giorgos Giakoumakis comparing MLS to LigaMX, and said "he's 100% correct" in response.... and now you're saying you didn't compare LigaMX to MLS, but I did?

Here's how "comparing MLS and LigaMX" transpired, chronologically:
    GG (quote comparing the two) --> You ("he's 100% correct") --> Me (responding to your comment)

12. xbhaskarx

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    My bad...I should have explained. My point was more on the part that losing doesn't matter. That's why I wrote:

"We most certainly fall in the group of losing many games and it's ok!"

Although it's obvious that ligamx's games are taking more seriously than MLS results. In MLS coaches like Luchi seem to have 9 lives, no way in hell would he be still coaching in ligamx or any other serious league.

Hope my explanation helps...and again when slightly more than half of the teams make the playoffs in both leagues it's pathetic. Have a crap season like last yr (although this yr we're hitting rock bottom) and the luchi's of the world can puff their chests saying, but see we made the playoffs!

Boysinblue and xbhaskarx repped this.
  14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is a small issue about our small team, but indicative of larger dysfunction.

There were no player cards handed out at either entrance at the Portland match on Juneteenth. When I went to the customer service room to inquire, I was told that they "didn't arrive in time" (reminiscent of the opening day retro flags handed out belatedly, two months later at Levi's). Don't know if I believe it. Shouldn't the player cards, with gameday lineups on the backside, have been ordered before the season began when the schedule was announced?

When Hernan did his autograph signing last Monday, the player card was a generic one, not for him specifically. And he wasn't among the players on it. Yet he's been on the squad for over six weeks.

The past two games, in which Daniel Munie has started, the scoreboard lacked a photo of him during the starting lineup announcement. Yet he's a second-year player. The photo should have been taken and available last year.

Left a bad taste in my mouth before the shit show even started last night.

15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Another one I'm glad I missed...

16. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ten years ago, when this thread began, we were a minnow among the giants. But it didn't feel as though we were steadily going backwards, and now it does.

don gagliardi repped this.
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Quakes are not steadily going backwards, they are accelerating in reverse.

QuakeAttack and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  18. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't know, 2014 was a pretty terrible year. We had 6 wins. and it was a steady downhill from 2012 to 2013 to 2014. 2015 was only marginally better, and our big-time signing that year was....Innocent. :-(

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ten years ago the Quakes were building a stadium and giving hope of permanence. Today, their owner is on a quixotic mission to move his other team. Feels worse.

vamanoshasta, Boysinblue and bsman repped this.
  20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mediocre or bad leagues compared to what?

21. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good leagues. Duh! :ROFLMAO:
    Just kidding - couldn’t resist.

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Landscaping budget has evidently been slashed to the bone. 6/20/24. Weeds at least three feet high, along Wondo Way.

EFD9D217-B8FA-4CE0-BE36-ECE21869C84B.jpeg

mjlee22 repped this.
  23. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Liquidation sale to follow. :cry:

My guess, Fisher has milked our small team for hundreds of millions (in value) and is now looking for a way out that boosts his net worth.

Let's just hope he tries to sell the team to a person or group locally vs another relocation. Wouldn't surprise me to learn that he's weighing his options in order to have more cash on hand for his Vegas stadium.

24. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose submitted the wrong photo of Munie to EA Sports so for about 5 weeks he had Tingey's photo in the game.

Player cards are made and sent off for mass printing before the season starts yes, but the backs aren't put on until later date with updated rosters and information.

Lopez wont' have a match day card until september i bet.

Boysinblue and mjlee22 repped this.
  25. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Quakes are done in terms of being playoff competitive for 2024. Maybe they get better and can act as spoiler and beat LAFC and LAG, but no real chance they make the playoffs. They will need to clean house after this season and try to build around Lopez and Espinoza for 2025.

The Quakes are in danger of becoming for MLS what the Clippers of the NBA were for decades. The Clippers were a team that rarely competed for the playoffs, had a bad owner who didn't really care about the team's success, and was essentially irrelevant in the broader sport conversation. From 1976 to 2010 (starting in Buffalo, then moving to SD, then ending up in LA), which is 34 seasons, the Clippers made the playoffs only 4 times.

Until they get a multi-billionaire Steve Balmer-type who is willing to come in and buy the Quakes (likely needing to shell out $600mil+), invest in improving the facilities (upgrade stadium and build the training facility), and make serious investments in the roster, I don't see that changing.

bostero24 and Kaitlyn repped this.