a small team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    Just to bring this back around to Quakes content, people can have lots of interests and hobbies here. It raises the bar for what the team has to provide to move the needle. I don't think we'll ever gain a big following just making smart USL signings and eking into the playoffs. MLS as a whole needs to get big time.

TyffaneeSue, Quakes05 and Goodsport repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What MLS teams are trying to "gain a big following by just making smart USL signings"?

This is how MLS teams spent compared to teams in the big five leagues over this window... basically the Premier League is now the NFL / Super League and the rest of the big leagues are stagnating or in decline, while MLS continues to rise...

JazzyJ repped this.
  3. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    Probably from international marketing. The NBA is very popular in Asia for instance.

4. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhere, in another universe, it's called Cloudyvale.

5. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I wonder what the summer transfer window looks like.

6. BCaso18

BCaso18 Member

SJ Earthquakes, Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2005
    Home of the Tule Fog
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wouldn't say year round in all of California. Where I am at, being outside when it is over 100 degrees for the majority of the day in the summer is not appealing what so ever.

markmcf8 and Kaitlyn repped this.
  7. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally think theres more shit holes North of Brentwood where I was raised and around my area then a lot of southern california and i hate so cal.

But living in Redding now... its a real shit show up here, Corning, Red Bluff, Cottonwood, Anderson, Chico, Sacramento, Elk Grove, Woodland, Williams, Antioch, Benica, Vellajo, Vacaville, Eureka, Yreka, Weed, Mt Shasta, Pittsburgh, Humbuldt all suck ass.

8. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. I'm moving my third son down to LA this weekend. He is going to live off Hollywood Blvd in Little Armenia Area.

Oh, by way, Sunnvyale is the best place to live:

https://www.siliconvalley.com/2023/...s-no-1-happiest-city-in-america-in-new-study/

San Jose was 9th on the list.

9. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I grew up in LA, went to college there, and have no interest in ever moving back to LA.

JazzyJ, Boysinblue and markmcf8 repped this.
  10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My daughter spent four years at Occidental College. She truly hates LA. She’s a smart kid.

Boysinblue and markmcf8 repped this.
  11. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    If she truly hates LA, why'd she go there? It must have been purely occidental.

bsman, Beerking and Earthshaker repped this.
  12. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    My point is that some claim the Earthquakes just need to make smart cheap domestic signings (ie double J). IF we are smart enough, we might be able to eke into the playoffs. That is not going to be good enough to draw in the Bay Area sports fan. We need to be perceived as big league, and big league is not just signing Augsburg castoffs (even if I like Gruezo).

I take your point about transfer spending, we are preseason and everyone else is midseason. Let's check back in on the MLS spend during the summer window.

13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does "castoff" mean here? It's not like Augsburg agreed to terminate Gruezo's contract, the Quakes had to pay a pretty significant transfer fee... the biggest they have ever paid actually. Seems almost like the polar opposite of smart USL signings... that would be Patino who is a trialist in preseason with the Quakes, and if they sign him would be one of the last roster spots filled alongside draft picks.

Boysinblue repped this.
  14. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    So Gruezo is a signing that will register with the average Bay Area sports fan?

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It's not just "smart cheap domestic signings", it's being smart in general, as the data shows that's still the biggest determiner of success in MLS. It's all about maximizing value. You can be smart and spend a lot of money too, but it's just not going to happen with Fish, so I don't waste my time wringing hands about that not happening.

Besides, if we are smart about how we build our core roster with good value players, we can take bigger swings on a few intl players. Under the Jesse regime, we tended to sign a lot of say $600-$1 mil intl players like Hoesen, Hyka, Kashia, Fierro, Rios, ... the list goes on. And they didn't really move the needle. They generally turned out to be fairly middling players. If we have good value domestic (or intl) players instead, we can take bigger swings on a few intl players. Gruezo is a step in right direction I suppose, but what if we added an elite attacking player on top of that?

Not sure that I buy the argument that we have to acquire big stars to get the Bay Area sports fan's attention, i.e. to be seen as "big". Unless those prospective fans are fairly hardcore soccer fans, we are then talking about the washed up big name underwear and shirt sales things again. And that's no recipe for success either, in terms of building a club with sustained success.

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why should we care what registers with the average Bay Area sports fan?

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    The average Bay Area sports fan doesn’t even like soccer.

18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. The average sports fan has little knowledge of soccer, and certainly could only name a few players. We could spend $30 million on a player and no one would have heard of him. What resonates with sports fans is winning!

SeaJayBee and don gagliardi repped this.
  19. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you asked the average local sports fan to name a soccer player, I dunno, David Beckham? Or Pele? Most couldn't name a single person who played in the World Cup that just ended.

SeaJayBee repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Even Gareth Bale? :)

21. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe if you said "what about Gareth Bale?" they'd say "oh, yeah, sounds familiar -- is he that WWE guy?"

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Or the star of “American Psycho.” :)

TyffaneeSue and markmcf8 repped this.
  23. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    No.

And I bet the average Bay Area sports fan likes soccer more than they like hockey.

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe. But very much debatable.

25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think this is all about the europhile or the latinophile. How hard do we want to try to draw them in? If you sign some relative "stars" from that league will they start going to the games, or suddenly caring about the team, or will it be - that's nice, now where's my remote, Chelsea / Fulham is on!!