a small team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's almost like circumstances changed over 3 years, as you are probably aware given that you were here to see it all happen and NOT in a coma? Are you one of those people who gives the modern Republican Party credit for the Civil War? "You say Nicolas Cage acts in a bunch of crap movies, but he won an Oscar!" Brilliant

You have named two teams that are far more ambitious than the Quakes, regardless of where they finished in the standings in one season. The Quakes, where Bradley likely wouldn't even consider coming to coach. We can't fire him because he would never come here!

markmcf8 and bostero24 repped this.
  2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope that you are right.

Now that Matías and his crew are all paid out, CL will finally have a budget to work with. So we “ought” to have some money to spend. Luchi says that his appraisal of players has changed because he’s been working and playing against higher caliber players. So I am hopeful that between him and CL we get a few really good guys.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #5903 JazzyJ, Nov 19, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    Congratulations on missing the point entirely and managing to drift into some kind of goofy "actually Lincoln was a Republican" analogy. It's not that "circumstances haven't changed", it's that the move that was applauded as "ambitious" in 2019 turned out to be so bad that people wanted us to "ambitiously" reverse it a few years later.

So the point is, once again, smarts trumps ambition (whatever that is). [Oh but we weren't double-down "ambitious" enough to get him players he really wanted!! Please. He signed several of his guys in the $1 mil range; there are many, many players in MLS at this salary range who are really good players. He had most of 4 years to figure out how to win in MLS on a smaller budget. Many other teams in similar circumstances have figured it out - and had success at least for periods of time, but he failed to do so to the point that the team actually for most part regressed under the nearly 4 years of his tenure].

Signing Almeyda was one of the most "ambitious" things the Quakes have done in the last 15 years, and it was one of the worst moves. Trading for Wondo was one of the least ambitious moves the Quakes made in the last 15 years, and it was their best move. It's the smarts, it's the smarts, it's the smarts. And after that, well you really gotta be smart.

SeaJayBee and Oh_Teddy_Teddy repped this.
  4. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't you mute him too. But I suggest taking your big boy pants out and debating people who disagree with you. O tienes demasiado miedo de debatir con alguien que te hara lucir aun mas como un payaso de lo que ya eres?

Tambien dijeron que durante la Copa MLS, Filadelfia tuvo una de las nominas mas bajas de la MLS esta temporada. No creo que la mierda de presupuesto pequeno equivale a ningun exito.

5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #5905 JazzyJ, Nov 19, 2022
    Most of the time, when I see people talk about "ambition" it's the euro fanboy or latino fanboy stuff. Houston sigined Hector Herrera! Boy are they getting ambitious!! Look out for Houston!! Almeyda: how lucky his coach is! Bernardeschi! Insigne!! OMG! I have their posters on my wall!!

If you read Wee Man's vision for the Quakes, it's more about getting people who understand the league to run the club and developing and nurturing talent within. He knows there are great players that can be acquired internationally. Heck, he played with George Best back in the day. But he's GM'd and watched the league for a long time. And he has a vision for the team that would probably be deeemed, by euro / latino fanboy standards, "unambitious". So there you have it. I guess if Wee Man were our GM today the euro / Latino fanboys would want him out because he’s not “ambitious”.

6. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    this is rich coming from the guy who coined the term "austerity mode" to describe the off seasons while Almeyda was here. the last three Quakes off seasons we flatlined. can't blame the coach for that. any coach. as we've seen over eight (8) coaches now, you can't coach your way out of a miserly ownership situation.

:ROFLMAO:

Quakes lack both the smarts and the ambition. And we've dug ourselves a deep hole, as the Quakes told @Replikait. They're having a hard time attracting good players because of the culture they've built here and the reputation they've earned.

It's going to take a lot of smarts and ambition to get things turned around in San Jose. So far, we're hearing nothing.

7. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes he is

8. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you have against Latino Fans? Ambition isn't against the standard norm of trying to buy well known entities to build a winning club around and sell some tickets. Bernardeschi and Insigne have achieved more in his career than any Quake on the roster.

Hector Herrera is better than Montiero, Judson, Yuiell and omg THOMPSON. Get your dick out of brain. You're no different being a Quakes Fetishist. Me too though, but I hate the current dick and want them to produce a better dick to fu*k all the other teams.

I was one of the people who was excited for Almeyda because he was a known quantity in Mexico, but he couldn't cut the cake here in San Jose regardless of whatever reason.

Wee Man couldn't survive today's MLS, but he was AMBITOUS enough to get Ronnie Ekelund and for the time that was a pretty big MLS signing.

You have no justification for anything, but you'd probably argue Ekelund wasn't as good as Montiero or Judson because he didn't put up big statistical numbers... De Rosario sucked ass too and damn near EVEVERYONE wanted his ass fired, cut or traded by 2003 (Don't make me pull up posts). In fact I saw an archive YOU wanted De Rosario traded in 2004.

For a smart man you extremely ignorant.

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our off season ambitions include resigning Tommy Thompson and Judson, while everyone else is signing kids from the academy, free agents, imported entities and making trades.

I wish we'd cut ties with Yueill and Judson and get someone like Nemanja Radoja.

QuakeAttack repped this.
  10. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @JazzyJ

Do you even watch soccer outside of The Earthquakes?

11. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I forgot... MUTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

#TruthHurtsHeCantTakeIt

markmcf8 repped this.
  12. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    @JazzyJ is funny, he doesn't like to acknowledge the truth about our sad little team. its whatever. we all have our opinions.

13. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct lol, he thinks he's #TheTruth but in reality he likes to create the truth, not hear the truth or facts from others, because his feelings get hurt. Oh well he was ran outta here before by someone, I'm sure he'll get ran out again.

Him, JOHN FISHER, CHRIS LEITCH and the rest of the ass clowns who want me to shut up can kiss my mexican ass

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #5914 Quakes05, Nov 19, 2022
    maybe. I've always thought of him as the counterbalance to all the (my) negativity, hopelessness and pessimism surrounding our lost little team. he's that eternal ray of sunny optimism, shining through, in the face of all obvious evidence to the contrary. I find his opinions amusing. ultimately, I'm sure we want the same thing...to see our club succeed, before it's too late, again.

but yeah, Fisher and Leitch really need to step up their game. everything starts with those guys. until we get our off-season right it doesn't matter who the coach is...as we've seen, over and over.

markmcf8 repped this.
  15. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not a counterbalance, he's the optima of irrelevance and irregular soccer poop movements of statical information, to create a conclusion and opinion Soccer Player A and B are good while C and D aren't good, even though C & D are better overall players and contribute more than A & B... and Tommy Thompson is his Mecca of Manhood, His Sultan of Swag and his Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla.

16. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To change the subject...

Is this a red card or not a red card... you be the judge. Today's standards thats probably a 3 game suspension. Props for Liner for nut checking him though. Also what the f*ck is Tim Martin doing on that back header to liner...

Maybe our resident referees can answer that? @SoccerMan94043 @bsman

17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spending big on players is a risk in this league because of the cap rules. You only get three, and if one or more of your DP’s suck, that’s money down the toilet. And a season of suck also. That said, it’s a risk we should take. We should be spending two to six million dollars each on three players every season. There’s no doubt about it.

Now, as JJ says, we have to be smart. So that means signing some established guys in their prime, and that’s spendy. I think that we should look for players in lesser known leagues so that we hit the occasional bargain. But we should sign at least one guy who is a known quantity and very likely to succeed in Our league.

It’s going to take research and the brain trust putting their heads together, and it’s going to take lots of RottenFish’s money.

Go Quakesfans!!

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    CL's signings have been fairly spotty so far. I think Monteiro was good, Rodrigues was pretty good, some good young signings, Akapo and Trauco TBD. But Gregus bad, Calvo bad. I think he's gotta bring in a difference maker or 2 this year. No more table scraps from other MLS teams. Doesn't necessarily have to be big spends, but need to be smart enough to sign the right guy(s).

19. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, you left out money. It’s going to take a lot of money too.

20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Nope, didn't leave it out. I said that it doesn't necessarily have to be "big spends" (meaning say $5-6 mil or something like that, which we're unlikely to do). But there have been many great MLS signings for less $ than that. You just have to be smart enough to find those players.

21. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    Ambition = money. What else could it equal? Fisher could say he wanted us to become Real Madrid, but without money it wouldn't mean a thing.

markmcf8 repped this.
  22. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    We are a monopoly soccer team in one of the biggest markets in the country. Anywhere else in the world and we would be a superclub.

23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You missed Jebo, who was an excellent signing.

But yeah, CL needs to prove himself this off-season. He should be signing guys who are better than our existing lumps at least 70% of his signings. Hope that makes sense.

24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn’t talking to you.

Nevertheless, it going to take coin to close a deal for an academy practice facility. It’s going to cost to scout players. We need to train our existing players better, so money for fitness coaches, diet coaches, and yoga instructors at least.

AND we need to spend some money to show prospective recruits that we mean business. Can’t attract WorldCup Heroes TM without spending some coin. We have to play catch up (not ketchup) right now because we have lagged so hard for so long.

Yeah, it’s going to be expensive, and if it’s not then we’re going to fail again.

Go Quakesfans!!

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  25. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it's gonna take time. A whole lot of precious time. It's gonna take patience and time.

markmcf8 repped this.