a small team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Tro da bums out!!

upload_2022-8-7_9-23-58.jpeg

2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We didn’t sign anybody in the window. Rather, we have two short-term loans. To me, that is the definition of small and craven. Cheap comes to mind as well…

markmcf8, Beerking, QuakeAttack and 2 others repped this.
  3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This reminds me of when John Doyle first announced his mid-season DP signing for the Quakes, with that little - was he Brazilian? - forward… I can’t remember his name…

Now we recruit a great deal of the roster with mid-season short-term (i.e. 18 months) signings. This gets us “flexibility” in the roster. But it seems like it presents a lot of instability that would make it unattractive to good players. Why would you come here when you don’t know how long teammates or even the coach — on whom you will build your career — will be around?

I never thought about it before, but is that what most teams in MLS are doing nowadays?

4. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Jesse kinda pioneered the “loan with option to buy “ model for the Quakes. However in Jesse’s book he explained that he doesn’t like loans. He’d much rather buy. It’s been years since I read it but iirc it had something to do with players feeling like they belong and fans knowing the players will stick around.

With all of these very short loans or contracts I wonder if we’ll be at risk of losing locker room cohesion? That’s one thing that has never been a problem in San Jose.

bsman and mjlee22 repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There have been locker room cohesion problems in the past.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes!

It was Geovanni who signed in 2010 played in 12 games and scored 1 goal.

[​IMG]

Doyle said they couldn't afford him for 2011 so he never returned.

markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  7. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I’m only aware of Alashe, but I think that was just between him and Stahre.

8. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks @falvo! I could not remember that guy’s name or record. I only remembered so much hype, and all these little boys clamoring for post-game autographs. I even tried googling “San Jose earthquakes Brazilian forward john doyle” and Geovanni’s name didn’t come up.

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    David Bingham.

bsman and SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    CBB77ACC-8D85-49EA-A220-4D3604341F18.jpeg

NedZ with Geo, first DP presser, circa 2010.

markmcf8, bsman and mjlee22 repped this.
  11. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It must be very analogous to having a tech company staffed with a majority of contractors. After awhile you no longer have permanent employees who maintain the company culture. That’s what happened at HP after 1990. HP stopped hiring and started using contractors for everything. Eventually Carly Fiorina took over and that was the end of one of the greatest company cultures in the USA.

QuakeAttack repped this.
  12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Akapo is not a loan.

markmcf8 and JazzyJ repped this.
  13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    The story was maybe that they couldn't afford him but OTOH there was probably some question about whether he was worth what he was asking. He was pretty good, but not great for us.

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Rodrigues is I think a 12-month loan, which again is going to end at an odd time (next August I suppose). Akapo is signed until end of '23 I believe.

The loans are low risk but low reward. If it turns out the guy doesn't do well, you're not on the hook for anything but OTOH if he turns out to be good, then the transfer price goes up. I don't mind the loans because there it is still difficult to predict how well a player will do in MLS. If you're willing to roll the dice a bit, that's when you could get a "high reward" player - say get a pretty good price for a player whose team doesn't value that much but turns good for you.

15. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
  16. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    How long is our Jebo contract? Why are they questioning if we can hold on to him next year? I don't like where this is headed...

17. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    markmcf8 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  18. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's scoring at a similar clip by the end of the year I assume he'll get some foreign interest. I also assume we'll sell if there are suitors.

markmcf8 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  19. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    That’s the scenario that hadn’t occurred to me until I read the rankings. Now that I’ve read it I feel it’s more likely to happen.

Kinda like the wile coyote learning about gravity.

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beerking, QuakeAttack and Scott Rohde repped this.
  21. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Beerking and Scott Rohde repped this.
  22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Dang! And my goal in life has always been to be just like everybody else, because that would validate my existence!

23. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

JazzyJ repped this.
  24. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    https://www.record.com.mx/columnist...u-suman-158-millones-de-aficionados-al-futbol

According to this next years Leagues Cup will be hosted in 15 cities in the USA. Apparently STH at some clubs (Columbus and LAFC) were told there package for next year will include Leagues Cup.

Anyone who recently bought a season ticket, did the Quakes say anything about Leagues Cup?

I'm worried that because of our small team status we won't get to host any Leagues Cup games.

25. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Ah, nothing to worry about - https://www.sjearthquakes.com/tickets/seasontickets

"There’s a lot to look forward to in the 2023 season with more benefits and matches than ever before! In addition to all 2023 regular season home matches,your 20-game season ticket will include up to our first two home matches in the new Leagues Cup, early round Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup matches at PayPal Park, access to all Quakes II matches at PayPal Park, and a special limited-edition scarf to celebrate the return of the World Cup to the Bay Area in 2026.

Coming in 2023, the MLS streaming service on the Apple TV app will be the exclusive destination to watch every single live MLS match, including all Quakes matches – no blackouts or restrictions. Access to the MLS streaming service will be included in your full season ticket account."