a small team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Jan 9, 2014.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are currently even with the least relevant team in MLS :thumbsup:

QuakeAttack repped this.
  2. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    We play them on Friday the 13th for what’s sure to be a wooden spoon showdown.

markmcf8 and mjlee22 repped this.
  3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, the 3 Canadian teams have been totally screwed in this pandemic. It’s just insane that they have been forced to play in the USA and unable to see their families for months because of all the quarantine requirements.

So it’s not really fair or relevant to compare us to a Canadian team this season or last.

Rightfully, we should be compared to Cincinnati, Chicago, Dallas, and Miami. Those 4 clubs are trying pretty hard and we are still above them in the standings. That’s pretty incomprehensible when you think about it, although as Jazzy pointed out, at the end of this big away game stretch, we may achieve our rightful equilibrium.

QuakeAttack, Quakes05 and markmcf8 repped this.
  4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transitive property…

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm sure most teams wish they could play us every week...

6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we play you?
    Can we play you?
    Can we play you every week?

Quakes05 and bsman repped this.
  7. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Looks like this thread has had it all wrong. We're not a small team after all.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/how-...approaching-their-chief-soccer-officer-search
    Do you believe it?

markmcf8, bsman, xbhaskarx and 1 other person repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actions >>> words

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I think they have to talk this way, otherwise what GM would be excited to take the job?

However, unless the new GM gets a bullet proof contract that guarantees an increased budget and/or other infrastructure investment it's not happening.

Goodsport repped this.
  10. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    xbhaskarx and markmcf8 repped this.
  11. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Good point. I guess if he successfully hires a GM he might get that promotion.

markmcf8 and mjlee22 repped this.
  12. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just saw this on Quakes discussion thread on Facebook! :)

[​IMG]

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yup. We've seen very few great goals (or goals of any type) this season...

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’ve actually seen some great goals this year. Chubis has banged in a few nice ones. Cade scored a couple of really nice goals. Benji had a nice one.

We have not been bereft of good goals this season, they’ve just been few and far between.

It’s been a poor season, as many of us predicted. But there have been some good moments, like Wondo scoring two goals late to pull out a win.

But on the whole, it hasn’t been a good season.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

17. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    > But on the whole, it hasn’t been a good season.

OTOH, by Quakes standards, it’s been a very typical season. The problem with this team is that the goal is just to make the playoffs. And then, if they don’t achieve that pitiful goal, there have been very few consequences anywhere inside the organization.

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I would say that the GM losing his job is a pretty significant consequence. And the new GM can pass that consequence down to the coach if he chooses.

19. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, being allowed 4.5 years of failure is not an example of suffering consequences. That’s more like finally admitting your iron lawn furniture has decay and rust and then doing something about it. To me, consequence = immediate action.

20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Immediate action? They made the playoffs in Jesse's 1st year. They were terrible in his second. I think they could have let him go after that, because that season was so miserable, but at the same time, 2 years is an awful short leash for a GM.

2019 was up and down - like way up and down. So you give him another year to see if they can put it together. 2020 was again up and down, but the team made the playoffs. So you think that maybe we're on the upswing. 2021 - more dumpster fires. At that point, Fish had had enough. Maybe he waited too long, but there was enough positive to kind of string it along with the thought that the team was on an upswing. So I don't fault Fish too much for waiting on that one.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  21. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you proved my point, Jazzy. :D

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Meh there was always just enough success to make you think we’d turned the corner. I wonder how things would have turned out if Jesse had left Leitch as coach in 2018, and also valued his input on intra-league acquisitions. But he couldn’t help himself. He had to just keeping trying to “fix it” by bringing in many players and coaches from outside the league.

23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, Jesse said that he thought CL was "ruining" the team. He might have meant that CL lost the locker room, or that he was trying to restructure the team in a way that Jesse didn't like. Or maybe it was just Jesse making room for Stahre, who he thought would be a good coach in our league.

I'm with @mjlee22 on this. Stahre should have been sacked about eight or ten games into his season, and had the team not improved, then Jesse should have been gone at the end of the season. Matías should have been sacked at the end of the '19 season. Fish puts up with way too much failure for way too long. The Whitecraps are also not doing well, but they gave Dos Santos the hook rather than put up with more failure.

I'm sure that MA will stick through the end of this season, but I think that's because Fish is only willing to buy out one year of his contract, and maybe not even that.

We squandered Wondo's best years by being patient. There's no excuse for that. We suck.

GO Quakesfans!!

- Mark

mjlee22 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When did Jesse say that CL was "ruining" the team?

25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Don’t remember that either. I think I did see something where he said “no more blowout road losses” or something. And so we got a coach who didn’t really do *anything* but lose, but maybe the road losses weren’t quite as bad but we also never won at home. Yeh.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.