A sign of quiet, growing anti-war dissent?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DynamoKiev_USA, Oct 22, 2004.

1. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    A third of those called up have refused to fight in the war.

2. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    What if they gave a war and nobody came? There would be no war.

So it's the soldier's fault we are fighting in Iraq.

Someone should spit on them. :rolleyes:

3. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Maybe I should do it. Since I never bothered to actually get my US citizenship, I'd probably just get deported. Unless the Patriot Act says I can be try for treason even if I'm only eligible for the citizenship. I haven't checked lately.

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Well, we all know that you won't be spitting on anyone, AM.

5. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't know what to say, I am simply disgusted, I guess these people who enlisted thought it was just a game.

6. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No. They realize it is life and death. The Bushies think it is a game.

"oh, lookie over here, Nope, no WMD. How about over here? Nope, none." W

"Oh, I'm not really that concerned about Osama bin Laden...." W, again

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are the IRR callups, guys who aren't on active duty or even in the Reserves, but are still subject to being called up.

Bush thinks it's a goddamn joke. Which is worse??????

http://www.brookesstory.com/

8. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    wasn't it clear that the US could be going to war when they joined the army? If you actually join an army you have to be aware of those facts... the draft is a different discussion though...

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    96...there's the regular army, the fulltime soldiers. Behind them are the National Guard and the Reserves. Those guys are parttime soldiers. It's those soldiers, generally, who have the crap morale. It's them who did the worst stuff at Abu Ghraib prison, it's them who mutinied last week.

Also, the soldiers in question here are the IRR. Here's what that means. Let's say they served their 4 year commitment, then left. They're still subject to recall for another 4 years. But they're in the army only on paper. They don't go to monthly drills like the Reserves and Guard. They're really only supposed to be called up for short term emergencies. So for those guys, no, you're wrong. They had every reason to believe they've served their time. Many of them are in college or have jobs and mortgage payments.

10. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mostly true, but not quite. Look at this official site http://www.defenselink.mil/ra/secondary/componentsfaq.html#individual
    It says
    What is the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR)?
    Individual Ready Reserve (IRR), a manpower pool in the Ready Reserve, primarily consists of: Individuals who have had training, have served previously in the Active component or the Selected Reserve, and have some period of a military obligation remaining. IRR members are in an active status, but do not perform regularly scheduled training.

If you are in the IRR (and I work with a lot of these folks) your initial obligation has not been completed and you are still on active status. So these folks do know what they have signed up for and although it is unlikely that they will be called up (this is one of the few times it has been used, I believe) they know they are still liable to be called up. They signed a contract to this effect. This is an issue of fulfilling the obligation and responsibility you have taken on as an individual.

11. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Who can picture Bush on some table with little plastic army men making gunfire sounds?

Anyone read about this today?

"To Be Provided."

12. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    "Central Command originally proposed a force of 380,000 to attack and occupy Iraq. Rumsfeld's opening bid was about 40,000, "a division-plus," said three senior military officials who participated in the discussions."

Un-fvcking-believable. What a complete moron. He should stick to his sh!tty poetry.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/week_2004_10_24.php#003777

Here's another little story that's doesn't look too good.

We didn't guard a depot with 350 tons (TONS!!!) of very high explosives, then didn't report the theft to the IAEA. We tried to cover it up. It's this stuff, mostly, that have been blowing up our soldiers over the last year and a half, and the quantity means the enemy has practically a bottomless supply.

A sharp person might be thinking, hey superdave, why mention the IAEA? These aren't nuclear weapons, right?

Correctomundo. But it's the kind of explosives used to detonate nukes. Nukes don't go off because, Yosemite Sam like, you light a fuse. As I understand it, you need to implode the fissionable material, and this stuff is powerful enough to do it.

The revenge of Shinseki, part XXXIV.

15. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just about that IRR thing: They still joined the army as a decision of their free will, nobody forced, them, so they should've known that they could be thrown into a combat zone. unlikeas in south corea, Russia or here in germany, where the ppl Have to join the armies for a certain amount of time (at least here in Ger they can do social service, but that's not possible in every drafting country) or as in the US at WWI, WWII and Vietnam, when every young man was needed, whether he wanted or not, those guys volunteered, so they should have the Balls to do their service as they are responsible to. If you don't want to fight, don't join the army
    don't get me wrong, I am neither for this war nor do I like military or so, but still this is something to decide before you join the army, not afterwards...

16. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

This sounded interesting - before somebody mentioned that obligations are different for officers. I'm hoping I learn a bit more if this case gets more attention.

http://www.ny1.com/ny/TopStories/SubTopic/index.html?topicintid=1&subtopicintid=1&contentintid=44568

So far the judge is buying it, and the army is stalling for time.

17. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Man, I am getting you wrong. Just because someone decides to serve their country, that means their lives are worthless? They can be tossed into the furnace at a whim? You have this kind of reserve obligation in case the scenario of Red Dawn plays out, not in case George W. Bush ********s up a war of choice.

And people think it's the anti-war crowd who don't value our soldiers. Jesus. Better still, someday, there will be a Truck Convoy For Truth group dedicated to slandering anyone who says that the Iraq war was a disaster, and that the liberal media kept us from winning.

I'm sure every single member of the armed forces has at least contemplated the irony of being ordered to war by a person who himself couldn't be bothered to complete his military obligation.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't click on DJ's article, but there was a case in nearby Cary that was pretty bad. A guy did his time. He even did his IRR time. He didn't check the right box when he sent his final papers in, and he's getting called up. He had just bought a house with his wife, which means he pissed away the closing costs. He's gonna have to give up his civilian job, too.

He sued, and lost the last hearing I saw.