A revolutionary idea for a Boston soccer venue

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DaveBrett, Feb 27, 2020.

1. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    Mr.Bill repped this.
  2. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    I doubt Harvard would be interested, especially as a multi-purpose venue attracting other events, but it's a good brainstorm of an idea.

Chesco United repped this.
  3. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    You might be right. I don't know. One huge problem is that Harvard Stadium was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1987. The stadium can't be torn down or even modified without going through a long, involved legal process. I would guess that Harvard wouldn't want to do that.

Hube and Fighting Illini repped this.
  4. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    A good thing to remember is that Harvard has the largest endowment in the world (<$40 billion dollars)

If they found it of interest to rebuild their own stadium, they would do so without hesitation. They don't need to partner with anyone to do it necessarily. but i like the idea of maybe partnering with another college.

5. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Right, but Ivy League schools have a somewhat uneasy relationship with the sports they already have. Bringing in big crowds of rowdy common folk for soccer games and concerts and things of that nature wouldn't likely be their cup of tea.

wingman2468 repped this.
  6. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    That's a good point. Harvard has more than enough money. They don't need anyone's help to build a new stadium. In 1987 Harvard pushed to have their stadium designated an historic landmark. There isn't a new stadium in that space because Harvard doesn't want a new stadium. It's certainly not because they can't afford it.