A quick Question

Discussion in 'Eads Brigade' started by 400lb Gorilla, Jun 30, 2008.

1. 400lb Gorilla

400lb Gorilla Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Missouri
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, I've kinda held off on participating since the switch from GCSC to Eads Brigade due to me moving away from St. Louis, and thus I won't be able to be apart of the group proper once we get a team. So i was wondering if you guys would object to me being a part of the discussion about how the group will be organized when i probably won't be able to be readily involved with the group for a few years (when I hope to move back).

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Your fine. You can discuss, donate, order scarves, etc. We hope to have plenty of fans outside of the metroarea.

BTW, where'd you move to?

3. 400lb Gorilla

400lb Gorilla Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Missouri
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to move back home to Poplar Bluff, I got a job down here, and this way i don't have to pay rent for a while.

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Your only 2:45 away, one of our members travels over two hours to meet with us. :eek:

5. 400lb Gorilla

400lb Gorilla Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Missouri
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish, I could do that, but with me currently having a job that doesn't pay me anything, and gas prices what they are, that 3 hour trek starts to sound a little less appealing.

6. haugenjp

haugenjp New Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Of course we could user your help, we can always use a Populat Bluff detachment.

Hmmm, I like the idea of Ead's Brigade Detachments all over the country.

7. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know in some ways it kind of epitomizes a large portion of St. Louis sports fans. I can't even count the number of times I've met a Cards fan from Arkansas, Kentucky, or just distant Missouri or Illinois. St. Louis has to draw fans from one of the most geographically broad areas.

8. Tkebh979

Tkebh979 New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Houston-ish
    coughcoughcoughPariscoughcoughcough :cool:

9. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    That's really more a Cardinals thing than a St. Louis thing.

The Cardinals draw from a wide swath of land for a few reasons. For a while, they were both the southernmost team in MLB, and the westernmost. As a result, they drew in a lot of these fans. On top of that, their games were broadcast on one of the strongest radio signals in the country, so that their games could be heard on the radio from Georgia all the way to Colorado. That type of range will get you a lot of fans. They were also a perennial power while all of this was going on. Lastly, until MLB started to regulate it more, the Cardinals had more minor league affiliates than any other team in baseball. Often, people who were fans of these minor league teams were also fans of the Cardinals, especially if one of their former players made it to the majors. So, the Cardinals had their nets flung pretty wide. And since most people tended to support the same team their parents supported, it got passed down the generations (of course, this is all before we started getting nationally televised games, internet, etc).

So a lot of factors came together for the Cardinals. But aside from baseball, people in those far reaches don't necessarily have any loyalty to St Louis. Just because they're Cardinals fans, doesnt mean they're also Rams fans and Blues fans. Those two teams (and the football cardinals before them) are much more localized in their fan bases.

10. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    If UNC plays SLU in basketball again this year, you could probably get a ride here when all of Poplar Bluff comes to town to watch Psycho T.

11. bellysk8er2005

bellysk8er2005 New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    overrated Clap Clap Clap clap Clap overrated Clap Clap Clap clap Clap

12. 400lb Gorilla

400lb Gorilla Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Missouri
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More true words have not been spoken.