A quick look back at Juan Agudelo

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by cpwilson80, Jun 20, 2016.

1. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot this until I looked it up. Agudelo, the last US player to score against Argentina, scored two goals in his first three caps...in a mere 106 minutes of action.

I celebrated his goal against Argentina here:
    https://andthenthehex.wordpress.com/2016/06/21/goal-of-the-week-juan-agudelo-v-argentina-march-2011/

Sadly, his next goal for the US would be four years later, in the April 2015 friendly against Mexico.

He clearly has all the technical skills necessary to play in the attack at the international level. For one reason or another, the consistency hasn't been there at the club level. Last year was his most productive year ever, and that was with 7 goals, 3 assists in 1761 minutes - the most he's ever played.

2. dundee9

dundee9 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    It seems to be his work rate. Sadly all the technique in the world isn't enough if you don't have the drive.

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    This ought to be merged with "Has MLS produced a decent player for the US" thread.

4. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Didn't he come out of the same system that produced Tim Howard and Jozy Altidore?

5. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    Is there a specific type of coach, whether in MLS or abroad that he would respond better to/would be more likely to get the most out of him?

He was really playing well before the transfer mess/sabbatical. His focus never returned.