A question about FA Cup [R]

Discussion in 'Cups & Competitions' started by cliffkram, Nov 7, 2003.

1. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    So Thurrock just drew with Luton, why didnt they play Extra Time? Instead the announcer says that "theyll play a rematch". Is it that the FRP is 2 legs aggregate? Or is it to help the big clubs out that if they tie on the road they get a rematch at home?

2. basso001

basso001 Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    No, it's a single game with a replay if necessary.

Turn that around. Thurrock now get a very lucrative replay at Luton.

If the minnows manage a draw away at a Big Club then they host the replay which has a very good chance of being selected for a midweek broadcast. Even more money in that.

b.

3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Dancing Caterpillar

The only reason Luton Town lucked into the draw was because of the Magic that Mike Lowell was weaving with his left eyebrow.

Take that!

Jay!

4. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    But my question is why is the match being played? Is FRP 2 legs? Would the "rematch" have been played if Thurrock won or Luton won?

5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    A tie means a replay. There must be a winner. If game two is tied after 90, they play two 15 minute halves (not golden goal). If it is still tied, it's penalties. This is true for all rounds but the final.

Thx,

Jay!

6. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    Thats just silliness, why bother playing a rematch, why not just go to Extra time after the first regulation. Some of these clubs are play 40-50 matches a year

7. basso001

basso001 Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    In a word: Tradition.

It's Always Been Done That Way™.

Until relatively recently tied matches were replayed as many times as it took to produce a winner. (RichardL, when did that change? What's the record for replays?)

b.

8. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    Ugh, tradition can lick me.

9. pmufc

pmufc New Member

May 4, 2003
    Say if Doncaster go to Man U and get a draw i think they deserve to go back to doncaster and play them there or vice versa if they draw at home they get to go to old trafford.

10. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    couldn't tell you exactly when it changed, but I'm sure it was in the last 10 years. Curiously it wasn't anything to do with too many games, but a change in police regulations meaning clubs had to give at least a week's notice to the police for re-arranged matches, whereas before the replay would always take place on either Tuesday or Wednesday after the first game. This meant that second replays wouldn't be able to take place before the next round would be due to be played, and the potential for disruption was too great.

Longest run of replays was a tie in the 4th qualifying round in 1975 between Alvechurch and Oxford City, which had 5 replays.

11. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yeah, right. It's just ridiculous that the oldest football competition in the entire world should pay any regard to tradition. :rolleyes:

So why didn't the competition start with extra time and penalties from the outset? Hard to say, but maybe the fact that penalty shoot-outs hadn't been invented for most of the first 100 years of the competition might have had something to do with it.

Maybe you like penalties, and find them exciting, but curiously some people enjoy see matches settled by football.

12. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    No I didnt say anything about penalties...I hate the shootout. It's like saying a football (american) game, if tied, should end with the quarterback throwing through a moving tire.
    There should be overtime, and at the end of each 5 or 15 minute period, one less man on the pitch (I like that idea thats been thrown around recently)

13. basso001

basso001 Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    RichardL --

Thanks for the info. 5 replays! <shakes head.>

I like tradition. The replay rule has worked well for a long time.

I bet you also like the designated hitter.

b.

14. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    Nope, hate it

15. Denzil

Denzil New Member

Dec 9, 2003
    Sidcup, England
    I'm sure there's been ties with more than 5 replays, I'm sure the record is something like 8 - although I could be wrong.

I also dislike the dh :)

16. darrenjolley

darrenjolley Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Chorley, England
    FA Cup

I think penalties after the first replay was introduced in 1991-1992 season. And for the record the Alvechurch and Oxford City tie is the record at five replays (i.e. six games overall) but it actually occurred in 1971.