A Pro/Rel Idea but dont enter if you are anti- pro/rel

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Philly33, Sep 16, 2009.

1. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why doesn't MLS2 basically be a league for teams that wish to enter MLS in the future but can't for some reasons such as finances/SSS/ etc....

Since my earlier ideas were scraped...just have MLS and MLS2..two separate leagues MLS plays during summer and MLS2 plays during fall-spring. At the end of the seasons the winner of MLS plays the winner of MLS2 for some form of championship, like clausura/apertura.

Have a relegation play-off for the team that has the worst attendance, losing $$$ etc.. and play the best team in MLS2.

2. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Do you never end? First it's Pro/Rel, then it's the Fall-Spring schedule, and now you've brought up Clasura/Apertura... I have a great idea for you. Since MLS isn't good enough for you, why don't you stick to the Polish league, where they manage to do everything right. We Americans will find a way to suffer along without you. :mad:

3. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Actually this is one of the few scenarios that I think might work, but I wouldn't discount the idea of the bulk of MLS 2 being comprised from existing teams. If MLS ever reaches the point where the owners simply can't agree on spending policies, those that want to keep a more modest operation could be shifted to MLS 2 and put those that want to spend more could remain in MLS 1. TV and sponsorship money could still be shared, say 60% to the MLS 1 teams and 40% to MLS 2, and the MLS 2 teams would still get their $2.3 million worth of players, so it isn't as if they would be severed completely, but the owners wouldn't be required to spend additional money from their own resources. They might also add a regional group stage to the US Open Cup so that MLS 1 and MLS 2 rivals continued to play each other regularly.

As for expansion, MLS 2 teams could have relaxed standards for stadiums, allowing new teams to become operational without a huge, simultaneous stadium investment.

4. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    '
    Considering this is another annoying Pro/Rel thread, I will make the same point once again. For Pro/Rel to work, the single entity system must be scrapped, and the entire financial structure of MLS would need to be reworked. Teams can already become operational without a Huge, simultaneous stadium investment. It's called the USL. If a MLS2 would ever form, it would make sense that Pro/Rel is inevitable. Therefore, MLS2 owners would need to be adapted to the SES. MLS owners would have a legitimate demand that all MLS2 stadia be up to MLS standards. There's also that tiny problem of MLS owners agreeing to be relegated for "the good of the game," but if you guys are still going to have these wonderful delusions of grandeur, I've decided to stop pissing on your parade.

5. Philly33

Philly33 New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    i thought this would be a decent thread but then whitestar warriors showed up, the killer of all threads mentioning the word pro/rel

6. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the title of this thread?:rolleyes:

7. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Maybe you should have titled it "A Pro/Rel idea but dont enter if you are WhiteStar Warriors"

I actually enjoy the debate. Once in a while, I can teach somebody something. Even more rare, is when someone can teach me something. WSW isn't like that. He quotes soccer blogs as if they were gospel. It's sort of like someone who only gets their news from DailyKos or the Larouche PAC website. It's kinda depressing actually. Now that he's here, I'm unsubscribing. He really believes USL-1 is going to dethrone MLS, and believes MLS doesn't have Pro/Rel because MLS is scared of the almighty power of USL-1. Need I say anymore?

8. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you are anti pro/rel anyway

9. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Yes, I am anti-Pro/Rel. You are anti common sense. You are anti intelligence. You are so dillusional, it makes a Nobel Peace Prize for George W. Bush seem like a done deal. Why is it that even though I am against P/R, the OP didn't mind the debate, but the second you showed up, it's a gigantic issue?

10. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I'm pro-MLS-being -not-another-same-old-U.S.-league.

I don't have a issue... It's the anti pro/rel hotheads that have a issue..because MLS is changing for the better and they want to stay the we are the U.S. <beat the chest> and MLS has to be like other U.S. leagues.

11. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm baffled by this statement because I don't want MLS to become just like every other league, i.e. a select few always at the top while the rest are middling and perennial relegation fodder.

And MLS can only aspire to be like those other U.S. leagues, to draw that kind of money and fan attendance, to be that popular in the worldwide sports scene, and to be considered one of the best of the best in their sport. If you can find a way to make pro/rel viable in that environment, then more power to you. The OP at least tried to come up with an idea rather than retreading blog posts and bogus or meaningless news stories like you have.