A plea to any and all Comcast SportsNet Directors

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    For the love of God, please resign your position.

Isn't it great to watch 10 second closeups of players while game action is going on?

Isn't it wonderful to nearly miss a PK because you were too busy showing replays?

Who doesn't love 20 second closeups of a pretty non-descript and unemotional Peter Nowak on the bench?

This is not football, baseball or basketball where stoppages in play afford you closeup time.

This is soccer, a continuous action game.

Please stop it with this crap.

2. alexdergrosse

alexdergrosse New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Northern VA
    Don't think Comcast is any worse than ABC or ESPN. Seems like American sports producers haven't realized they can't cut away the way they do. I think it'll just take time until they figure out the best way to have interviews and show replays that don't cut into live action.

3. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    "Domino's Cheeseburger Pizza---Just like a cheeseburger, but it's better,
    cause it's a pizza!"

4. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    And while they're at it, they can cut those stupid interviews with the coaches during the game, and the half time interview with a player who needs to get to the locker room.

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Yes, all of it is so stupid. Unfortunately, we got another twenty years of this until soccer is huge.

6. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You beat me to it Cweed. The annoying directing was mitigated by not hearing that goddamned PA system doing some jock rock, cadence or advertising. All the same, I'd rather see the effing game. I guess the senior guy got the weekend off. Let's hope junior learns from this one!

GM

7. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    GM- you and Cweed both beat me to it.

I hate those long closeups.

As a fan that watches practically every game from TV-land, it's gotten worse this year and it's driving me crazy.

8. slowbutsure

slowbutsure New Member

May 1, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Comcast is much worse than ESPN.

Did you notice that the Crew has cheerleaders? Why didn't we get some closeups of them?

9. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Be very, VERY glad. There's a reason its called COWlumbus, and its not the cows.

10. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Maybe I should send a friend down there to direct these games - he's a soccer player/fan, so knows the game. Plus, he is a television technical director.

11. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    I hate watching games with the annoying jock jams and PA announcements that are picked up during the game. Frustrated, I shut the TV sound off and listened to music from my CD collection instead.

12. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were you listening to the FSC feed?

GM

13. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if you were; does the sound of Max Bretos/Allen Hopkins cause inner-ear bleeding? or is that just me?

14. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    You mean those stupid assh0le homers? My god, they couldn't fellate the Crew any harder or fast enough. I lost track of the number of insipid comments they made after they said we played the Crew on Wednesday and then showed a replay of players in bright friggin' red jerseys.

Stupid bunch of assclowns.

15. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was the Comcast feed that FSC was showing, they need to stop having Nowak hold their camera on the bench!!! A little higher angle of view would help a great deal.........

16. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Agree 100%.

I was screaming at the TV much of the time. "Show the game!!!"

It's a simple principle: when the ball's in play, it MUST be on-screen.

Everything else follows from that. Close-ups and tight shots of players can wait for stoppages in play. And PLEASE stop showing isolated shots of players with the ball as they run; you can't see where they are on the field, and you can't see the other players.

I actually think it's getting worse of late.

Oh well, no matter how bad it gets, it's still better than the days when soccer on TV consisted exclusively of Toby Charles and "Soccer Made in Germany" on Sunday mornings. (Yes, I'm showing my age.)

17. lkeniston

lkeniston Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Richmond, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess which one Andrulis brought in?

[​IMG]

18. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Chris you do some fine work for United but this could be your best yet. I was screaming at the screen all night long.

19. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, it's the Crewzers. Trust me you're better off.

20. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    They're not cheerleaders, they're dancers - you have no idea how upset they get when called the wrong thing. LOL I hated having to watch them.

21. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's how I've watched every MLS game for the past 3 years. Sure, I might miss the rare insightful comment on an ESPN2 broadcast from time to time, but it's been worth it to the overall state of my sanity.

22. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You too, grandpa? ;)

23. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Add me to that group as well!

24. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    While were at beating up Comcast for their coverage, how about getting some announcers that know the team and the game for the post game show? Sorry, but Garth doesn't bring much to the table for an ex-player. The most and best points were made by the person on the screen the shortest amount of time and he doesn't even work for Comcast, Tony Limarzi.

25. Keenan

Keenan New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Stephens City,VA
    I was tuned into the HDNet broadcast which has pretty decent quality... I did unfortunately run into the DC United postgame live show.... what a JOKE!!!! The only good part of the post game show is the former GK who at least knows what a soccer ball looks like. The 'Host' of the postgame show was just completely and utterly embarrassing! There were also numerous mistakes like the "up to date" standings which showed DC with 21 pts. instead of 22pts. and then "upcoming games" which had DC playing @ KC on July 9th!!!!! Are you kidding me!?!? I also love the Washington Capitals pics in the background of the set and the pics on Tony Armas Jr. (Nats pitcher) on the front of the desk towards the end of the show.... If you don't know or don't care what you're doing then save us all the time and agony and stop making yourselves look so damn ignorant!!!! :mad: