A place where an Atlanta women's team could play

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Crazy_Yank, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. WNTfan

WNTfan New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Where is this pitch located? Do you have any more info on it?

I have been told by a major Atlanta Beat sponsor that a new soccer stadium up in the northern suburbs (Cherokee county or Alpharetta I think) is in the works and the Beat were planning a move there before the suspension.

If an abbreviated WUSA is in the works, I hope Atlanta is included. We should be because we were third of the eight teams in attendance numbers.

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    What's the seating capacity of this?

And someone please correct me if I'm wrong...but IIRC...it seems like there has been an air of non-cooperation between the two clubs the past three years.

4. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    The Silverbacks' web page indicates the stadium will see a lot of activity among the pro, amateur, developmental and youth teams associated with the A-League club.

It wouldn't surprise me if they told the Beat -- or Re-Beat -- to go fish.

5. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    I read in the AJC that the stadium will have a capacity of appox. 5000 and it will be located in Dekalb county near the intersection of I85 and I285.

6. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001
  7. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    From the AJC

I guess this is what you saw, PG.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/1003/19soccnotes.html

8. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    According to this article:
    CONSTRUCTION OF ATLANTA SILVERBACKS PARK BEGINS
    (September 24, 2003)
    the construction of a stadium is part of Phase II, which is still in the planning phase. In other words, it could be a long time before they actually have a stadium there.

9. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haven't they been working on like a kick ass soccer complex in atlanta for like Years!!!!

10. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
  11. Blaise1ie

Blaise1ie New Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Atlanta
    The Stadium is expected to be ready for the 2005 season right now. We have confirmation that there is heavy machinery there now tearing up the pavement and bringing down trees.

Also, as an FYI, the Atlanta Silverbacks do own the rights to the Atlanta Classics (the old Atlanta W-League team). it has been rumoured that they might be brought back to play in the new stadium.

Blaise

WAR MARCI MILLER
    WAR BANG!!

12. Blaise1ie

Blaise1ie New Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Atlanta
    PS- Atlanta Soccer Village was not a Silverbacks Plan but it is probably what you are thinking of; that place has been talked about since 1998 or before; i don't see it happening.

Blaise

WAR MARCI MILLER (wherever you are!!)

WAR BANG!!

13. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.

If the Beat don't revive, then I hope that they revive the Classics. I never went to a Classics game but I was a Beat season ticket holder. I guess I would just transfer my alligience over to the next Atlanta womens team.