A Place to Watch Games in NYC

Discussion in 'Supporters Abroad' started by NYAustinite, Apr 5, 2006.

1. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    My friend and I, both long time DC fans, are now here in the city, and we believe that we've found a great little bar for United viewing. The staff is very cool, switched a couple of screens to the game for the opener, and seemed to like the idea of having more hard drinking and yet polite and generous business on Saturday afternoons. I imagine if we had a few more show up this Saturday, they would be just as likely to show the Chivas game. Pretty good bar food, too. It's called the Manchester, and it's on 2nd between 48th & 49th.

It's not a big place, which I think would be an advantage. Smaller numbers would still make the place feel full and fun. My friend and I will both be there this Saturday, and we'd love to see as many as could make it out. I live in Astoria, and it takes me about 30-45 minutes to get there on weekend trains.

2. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    I am the friend, BTW, I will be there, and NO, we are not the same person. Tip well, they're really cool people. I think that if we brought even 4 or 5, they'd put it on 2 tvs (If they put it on one, the view is just fine). They won't do sound, I don't think, but they've got good tvs, an intimate setting and show soccer like crazy.

To give you a heads up, we went last week and they showed all the games we wanted to see, put on DC on Sunday and then played 'Family Guy' at our request afterward.

3. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    I forgot to mention - respond on this thread if you think you'll be coming to the Manchester to see the game on Saturday. I'm betting that we can get a commitment to show the game if we can promise them a number of people. Heck, I think 5 or 6 would do the trick.

4. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    Oh, they'll show it, the issue is if they'll show it on one, two or three tvs.

But that does beg a question, how many of us are there here in NYC? Post in here if you're NYCDC. Manchester might be too far away for most, but we so need to make a DC bar here.

5. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    I live in Soho/Nolita. NYAustinite - if you're in Hipster Hell, I'm guessing brooklyn or les? there are plenty of bars south of manchester that show soccer. But y'all are right, no DCU bars. Perhpas Gatsby's on Spring?

6. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    Actually, I'm in Astoria, which though populated with an ever-growing legion of hipsters (the beer garden on any weekend night), is not the true Dante-esque center of hipsterness that is Williamsburg. Thus the bars farther north are easier for me to get to, very close to DCAustinite, and the slightly larger than normal distance to the subway makes it even less likely that we'll be overwhelmed by those who look down their noses at our fledgling league.

Actually, there are a fair number of europeans in there, but my friends damn near encyclopedic knowledge of the various european leagues tends to get their attention. That, and all of our whoopin' and a hollerin'.

Oh, and just so you know, I think it was our noisy celebration at Esky's goal that drove out the one scummer fan last weekend.

7. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    And got the attention of some travelling Germans who talked to us about thier beloved Hertha Berlin. After the game, of course.

So we now know of three people in NYC, is that all? Who is a SE member? We were thinking of forming an SE chapter up here.

8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    HATE makes four

9. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm in NYC as well. Was actually at the game this week with my bro (still in DC).

10. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    Well that's five. It would be nice to watch the games that are on tv with a bunch of like minded people, though DCAustinite and I can raise plenty of ruckus ourselves. We're both going to be at the 4/22 game, so we'll try and meet up with other supporters then and see if we can't agree on a place to watch.

11. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We gotta go to the 4/22 game. Maybe we should meet up in NYC before the game, and head over en masse. And here I favor the lesser know definition of 'masse' as a group of 5.

My brother is coming up (Jegao Paraiba in these parts) so he should be along as well.

BTW he lived in Austin for quite a while.

12. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    Wow, small world. I also like the idea of heading over in a group. We've got a few friends on the SE bus too. As the day approaches we can figure out where to meet, maybe for pregame/ pre SE/Barra tailgate beers and such.

13. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets do it.

14. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't know you that well, can't we start with some hand holding? :)

Seriously, awesome. That's 5!

15. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    Today I spread rep to all my nyc brothers. :)

16. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I meant "Let's do it" in the MJ way not the Tone Loc way:eek:
    But if you roll that way, hey I don't judge.

Im outta town this weekend, but we should coordinate for some pre-gamin' then before heading out to GS on 4/22

I have a portable cooler for the bus.

17. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    Hey, give piece a chance. Get it? Get it? :) Just kidding, I'm married, but that NYAustinite, watch out for him. Anyway, tailgating sounds good. Pre-game sounds good, beer sounds good.

18. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    Sounds like someone is protesting just a little bit much. Marriage is the perfect cover, dontchya know.

I agree with those last two sentences, though. And I have got to get one of those plastic flasks.

19. degerron

degerron New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Queens
    I'm a DCU supporter and I live in Rego Park Queens. I would love to hang out at a bar or go to a game with some DC fans. But I want be available to actually go to a game until after final exams which ends by the 3rd wk in May, I could perhaps meet up with some people at a Queens area bar.

20. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good luck on your exams. Looks like our ranks are swelling.

I am planning on attending the game on 4-22. Who's in^

21. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    DCAustinite and I already got our tickets through the SE's - I would suggest getting your tickets through them so that you can ensure that there won't be any difficulty sitting with the travelling show. Look in the threads about the SE bus trip to get contact info.

Well alright, that's 4 or 5 people. There have to be more of you - out of the over 170 who viewed this, I'm thinking at least, oh, I don't know, 10 of you actually live here. Let yourselves be heard!

22. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    thanks K, NYAustinite and Myself already got 'em.

*whispers* I told 'em we already got one.

24. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    So for the game this weekend, we're going to meet at the Irish Rogue, close to the Port Authority and busses to the stadium. I'm assuming my schizophrenic friend will be along with the website presently. We're thinking that we'll be getting there around 11, to put down a good beer base of bar food and watch some euro footie before we go to GS on the 2-ish bus. Anybody is of course welcome at any time.

25. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    www.theirishrogue.com

356 w 44th st (between 8th and 9th ave). 2 blocks from the A, C, E and three blocks from the N,R,W,S,1,2,7,Q,3,9.

****Coke and Pepsi are the same thing, people! I am the lizard king! Lyndon LaRouche has some smart ideas! Who controls weed? The Oil companies! Who controls the oil companies? Satan! PFPTHPFTT!!!!****