A new WHA

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by the shelts, Oct 14, 2012.

1. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Talked to a couple of guys at the Ft Worth Brahmas v Allen Americans game this weekend. They were NHL alum and a current player. I knew two of the alumni from my days in the IHL. They are saying that a couple of NHL owners are toying with the idea of setting up a completely new league.

This will depend on how negotiations go this week on the NHL lockout. If it drags another week and there is no movement then they will have some serious discussion and a face to face meeting. The players seem emboldened by the idea of a rival (WHA) type league, however only as a bargaining chip.

This is not a brand new league but sort of a power play from a few owners. They have already purchased a 'recognized name' for the league and will wait until next weekend to see what plays out this week. Apparantly Bettman is aware.

Thats all I know for now...................

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. salesman

salesman Member

May 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    so when exactly is NHL starting?
    last i heard, it won't be until December 19 but will it be pushed further back?
    right when i wanted to follow hockey... they just shut it down...

4. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The name WHA is already owned. They are looking to revive once the union is decertifyed. My friend was saying they have 4 rock solid owners who are working the phones to get new investors. They plan on getting around 16 teams and having a deal with the KHL. This will be a "go" once the union is decertifyed and the NHL cancels the season.

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just heard that on WCBS=AM 880 first thing this AM...since I went to school at Oneonta I used to take the drive down to Binghamton in order to see the Whalers AHL affiliate play.

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Stoneonta. Once had to pay my sister's attorney fee after one of her nights out drinking there.

What is WCBS doing playing Brass Bonanza?

8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gov Molloy wants someone with some really deep pockets to step up and bring the Whalers back to life. Yeah, never much participated in the alcohol scene at Oneonta but it was there if you wanted it.