A New Ranking System Better Than Fifa

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by vancity eagle, Apr 19, 2006.

1. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am also of the opinion that these rankings should be decided through a voting of coaches/journalists. The FIFA ranking is very inaccurate, and yours is a joke.

You cannot just count results in recent matches like that. You have to also take into account the level of the teams played and the context.

In the case of Argentina, they have indeed lost/tied many of their recent matches, but it's no mistery that this has started as soon as they have achieved their WC qualification (even before Brazil) and that the coach has started trying some new players/configurations.

As I said in a different thread, in the last 4 years Argentina has been:

a) first ex-aequo with Brazil (in term of points) in the WC qualifiers
    b) finalist in Copa America
    c) finalist in Confed Cup
    d) Olympic Champion
    e) Sub 20 Champion

Does that place them in 29th position? Don't think so.

2. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    hahaha gotta agree with you on that one...

besides Brazil being in first, i dont see any ranking being accurate, England is up there for beating strong teams like Argentina, meanwhile the US is there too for beating teams like Guatemala and Norway.....and teams like Poland, Uruguay, Japan, Crotia are above Argentina/Mexico?

3. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    having coaches decide rankings is even stupider than any kind of mathematical formula. You would have very biased rankings, and you also cannot expect coaches to know alot about every team out there, I can't believe how many of you are advocating this type of rankings, this is a joke. The rankings would never change regardless of matches played, you would always have Brazil #1 Argentina #2 Italy#3. Also many of the European sides would be overrated due to bias.

4. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    i dont see a problem with that...more believable than having Mexico and USA in the top 10 and just having a good laugh with it...like it or not the top 10 should be Brasil, Argentina and 8 euros.

5. QrysDonnell

QrysDonnell Member

Apr 2, 2006
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <SARCASM>

Hey I found this on FIFA's site "Since its introduction, the FIFA/Coca-Cola Ranking has proved to be a reliable measure for comparing national A-teams."

So how can anyone say their ranking system needs improvement?

</SARCASM>

Is it possible that Bruce Arena's goal is just to get us to the top of the FIFA world rankings? USA #1!

6. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA

with the opponents picked for the friendlies could be, after all he said playing Germany was a mistake...:D