A New Page For CREIGHTON Soccer Supporters...

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by alt(bayern)münchen, Dec 29, 2009.

1. alt(bayern)münchen

Apr 1, 2005
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... more of a tropical depression...

CREIGHTON 3-1 over #5 ranked TULSA Golden Hurricane, in front of 2400 at CU's Morrison Stadium...

First goal 41 seconds into the match!

Next up INDIANA on Saturday!

Go JAYS!!!

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Creighton is the better team right now. It'll be an upset if the Jays don't win.

3. alt(bayern)münchen

Apr 1, 2005
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^^ Agreed!

The last real big test before the Tournament will be the AKRON game, I wish that was being televised!

4. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Maybe, but I wouldn't be shocked if Drake steals a point.

5. soccercu

soccercu Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Creighton will sweep thru the MVC as they have too many weapons with Jordan , Clark and others that also are threats besides the cast of Finley, Dion, Gomez and Riberio. They play like Akron.

Now that will be a game in a few weeks CU vs Zips!!

6. bravessoccer

bravessoccer Member

Sep 9, 2004
    Easy there. There are some dangerous teams in the MVC that CU would be wise not to overlook.

CU may very well win the league, but it won't be easy.

7. dolphinscoach

dolphinscoach Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Bellevue, NE
    The way the Jays are playing under Coach Clark has generated a lot of enthusiasm among the fans, especially those of us who started the 2009 season with high hopes. Most CU fans I talk with are cautiously optimistic, but we realize that the MVC has a number of very good teams. The Wisconsin and Eastern Illinois games are reminders that CU can outplay an opponent but still be in danger of giving up points. (Wisconsin went to OT, and a defensive lapse almost cost a goal in regulation; CU had several scoring chances v. EIU but was only a late goal away from OT.) It still is not clear how we will cope with losing Duran in back--although the Tulsa outcome was encouraging. Still, the Jays have an exciting style of play that creates a lot of dangerous opportunities; and the talent is there at several positions to give our opponents a lot of trouble.

Do we think we can win the Valley? Yes. Do we think it will be a walk in the park? No. Do we respect the other teams in the conference? Most fans, and I am sure the players and coaches, do. I like the MVC's chances for multiple NCAA bids this year. (But then again, I'm cautiously optimistic about the whole season. : ) )

8. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    ... and who would those dangerous teams be ?

9. bravessoccer

bravessoccer Member

Sep 9, 2004
    Evansville, Drake, Missouri State and even SIUE.

I realize that CU is looking very strong, but for a HS kid to bounce in and say that "CU will sweep through the MVC..." is a bit outlandish when you consider how things went for essentially the same CU team last year.

This is conference play. You can't underestimate anyone.

Again, CU may very well win the league...but don't be shocked if they don't "sweep through"

10. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Uh, no. I've seen both teams play twice this year. While CU has some weapons, Akron is a GIANT step above CU. This doesn't mean that CU might get a result, but I seriously doubt that it will.

11. VTX Jay

VTX Jay New Member

Nov 11, 2005
    The other coast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I realize that CU is looking very strong, but for a HS kid to bounce in and say that "CU will sweep through the MVC..." is a bit outlandish when you consider how things went for essentially the same CU team last year. "

I seriously doubt this is a HS kid commenting?? And regarding this being essentially the same team as last year you should go in and look at the roster. CU graduated, what, 9 seniors. The cast of characters has changed dramatically, from the coach to the players on the pitch.

Now for blowing through the MVC. Agreed, this will not be a cake walk. Just because it looks like you should win on paper, you have to play the game. The Valley is always tough and teams get up for games. The rivalries are there. Nothing is a given but I think the Jays will get through and take the conference. I also agree that we should probably get at least two NCAA bids. Our teams have done well in the post season through the years and the Valley is getting more respect even though they are not a "coastal" school.

Good luck Jays!

12. dolphinscoach

dolphinscoach Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Bellevue, NE
    Tough loss for CU tonight, 2-3 to IU. IU's first goal was against the run of play, and was really a GK error--long ball played to Bruin, who just floated a header from the 18 over Holt who was out near the PK spot. Second goal, Bruin was over a yard offsides, but the AR was trailing by almost 4 yards. (My seat was right in line with the last CU defender, so I had a good look at all involved.) Less than 5 minutes later, the ref gave a red card to Gomez when he got tangled with IU's #17.* CU scored 13 seconds into the 2nd half when Dion Acoff won the ball from IU's left back. Acoff pushed the ball past, then banged heads with the left back who went down (and had to come out) as Acoff went into the box and laid the ball off for Finlay, who drilled a shot inside the far post (may have had slight deflection). As CU pushed to equal, IU created some chances and got a goal off a deflection that went over the keeper. CU scored off a corner with only a couple of minutes left to bring it to 3-2, but couldn't equal.

I don't know that this game tells much about either team, really. CU had the better of the play before the IU goals and the red card, and also in the 2nd half as IU put a lot of men behind the ball and relied more on counterattack.

*IMHO, the ref got this wrong. When he signaled to stop the clock, I thought it was to give a yellow to #17 for a tackle from behind.
    #17 had his legs wrapped around Gomez, and they were both trying to get their legs untangled. I didn't see either player lash out at each other, but the ref thought he saw Gomez stomp on #17--the ref demonstrated that motion--and he didn't talk to the AR, which suggests he was sure of his call. It appeared to me that the IU players were also surprised when the card was given.

13. dolphinscoach

dolphinscoach Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Bellevue, NE
    My short evaluations of some of the players:

For CU:
    Holt - Caught out of position on the first goal. Other two goals probably not his fault.

Polak (LB) - Great game. Positioned himself well to break up IU's attacks, great going forward for Creighton. Composed on the ball. Gave IU trouble in all aspects.

Center backs - Tonight showed how much Duran's injury hurts CU. Seem to be scrambling to recover more than I'd like. (Spoiled after seeing Schuler.)

Moran (RB) - Struggled at times.

Acoff - Too much speed for IU's defenders. Created some good opportunities, including Finlay's first goal.

Jordan - Came out for stitches in the first half, but was back in as soon as he could get there. Settles the midfield nicely, and brings fire.

Finlay - Two goals on the night, the first a nicely placed drilled shot and the second crashing the goal on a corner kick. Also was taken down in the box a couple of times that could have resulted in PKs.

Gomez - Did some good things. Red carded, but I think the ref thought he saw something that may not have occurred.

For IU:
    Bruin - Certainly is a force up front, but I expected more. He won the ball nicely in the air on the first goal, but it was a soft floater from the 18 that went in because the GK was out of position. Second goal was offside. His touch--laying the ball off, etc.--didn't impress me. Not a bad performance, surely, but not as fearsome as I'd been led to believe.

#8 - Created some very dangerous opportunities. (He was right in front of me in the first half.)

#27 - Looked fast against Creighton's backs, but very slow trying to mark Acoff.

Refs:
    CR - Poor game (not just because of the questionable red card). One of my pet peeves is when a ref warns a player that the next time he does a particular offense will get a card, then tells the same player the same thing three or four times. This ref did that with players from both sides. Could have given a couple of yellows early, but didn't. Gave a red to CU I disagree with, then gave IU a yellow later that was strange--IU was going slow on a restart late in the match and the ref gave the yellow without (apparently) urging the player to hurry with words or signals.

AR (grandstand side) - Too slow to keep up with the players, which caused him to be out of position on multiple occasions--he looked gassed several times. (To be fair, I couldn't keep up with those guys.) He also failed to stay in line with defenders as he watched play on the other end of the field, so he was not in position when a long ball was played to his end of the field.

1 person likes this.
  14. soccercu

soccercu Member

Nov 10, 2008
    THe boys from Omaha were at this one and we all felt that many of the Jays stood on their headin this game, how about the Jays fight and perserveranceall game long. Yes they made a few mistakes that cost them but wow they are good. The Combination of Acoff and Finley impressed the alumni that sat next to us and Finley seemed unstoppable when he took guys on and when he went outside to burn the backs and got crosses into the box. Acoff is improving quickly and Jordan was tough when he gto back into the match. Alumni thought Finley outclassed Bruin in all dimension but height for the next level. They both scored off headers !

15. soccercu

soccercu Member

Nov 10, 2008
    OK now my Jays are 2-0 in Valley play beating the preseason EU Aces 2-1 as the Aces were picked to finsh first -sweep continues ..Jays at Drake on Wed.

16. soccercu

soccercu Member

Nov 10, 2008
    This will be a great match watch for the MVC lead and after three tough matches in 2009. Watch the Jays to come out on attack very quickly to see how Drake will react to CU speed, finesse and with the Finley-Gomez combination back in tact and Jordan, Acoff in strong support! Jays 3-0 over the Drake! ( another clean sheet for Holt)

17. alt(bayern)münchen

Apr 1, 2005
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Creighton wins 2-1 over Drake in Des Moines, with a brace by Kris Clark.
    Crowd was about 60/40 Creighton Fans!
    We had a blast!

18. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Is Liam kelly getting much playing time? How does he look when he is in the game? He played for same club team, as did my grandson, in Seattle area. He and Kelyn Rowe (at UCLA) were a dynamite combination up front.

19. brodbecks

brodbecks New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    MA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Looks like he is getting some minutes but not a lot, about 20 mins per game played (played 10). http://www.gocreighton.tv/fls/1000/stats/m-soccer/2010/teamcume.htm.

20. alt(bayern)münchen

Apr 1, 2005
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

A souvenir photo from Drake's pitch...

21. dolphinscoach

dolphinscoach Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Bellevue, NE
    Liam is getting some minutes, but not a lot. However, Creighton has used subs sparingly, so the fact that he is getting minutes indicates that the coaches see something in his play. He is one of the first choices off the bench, and he usually comes on so that one of the attacking starters can get a breather (i.e., not as a tactical sub nor because he sparks the attack).

I would describe his play as serviceable. He doesn't really threaten the opposition, but he is involved in the play--sometimes as a target, sometimes chasing or pressuring defenders who've won the ball, but not really the go-to person for a goal. Makes some mistakes, but nothing glaring and certainly not so many. In short, he makes positive contributions, but with Finlay, Gomez, Clark and Acoff playing as well as they've been, he doesn't stand out.

22. alt(bayern)münchen

Apr 1, 2005
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Creighton Men's team beats Central Arkansas on the road 2-0, to continue their unbeaten streak in MVC play!
    Go JAYS!!!

23. soccercu

soccercu Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Long bus trip to play UCA and good result for the Jays, glad I am flying back to Omaha!

Finlay and Acoff score for the Jays and now the important preparation for Akron on Wed. too bad this one is not televised as it will be real good match.

Hats off to the coach staff for all their work in developing the guys and putting the Jays back in national contention.

24. kevin1414

kevin1414 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    This game is on TV. Sports Time Ohio. Direct TV and Dish get this station along with local cable. Direct TV is channel 662 I believe. Should be a good game.

25. alt(bayern)münchen

Apr 1, 2005
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kevin...

Thanks for that info! Was searching the net without luck to see if it was on... and where!
    If any of you are in Omaha, we will be having a viewing party now that we have the info!
    Cheers!