A New New Thought for Random Thoughts About Movies

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ghost, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Blah Blah blah-blah Blah blah-blah-blah.

You make a good point, as always BG. But I can be far more succinct: remakes suck.

I can add to that: reboots suck. Sequels suck.

It's a lack of creativity, a lack of originality, and general laziness that characterizes all three movie types. To remake this movie, which as you state, is pretty darn perfect (even if I got bored with it and never finished it) or Spider Man (for the third time) is to be a cop out. There are lots of great stories out there, that haven't been told. Go find one of them.

Or, make this one. It will be one offering that I won't even spend a minute considering whether or not to see it.

Belgian guy repped this.
  2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I would say that most remakes suck, but not all of them.
    e.g. "True Lies" is an improvement upon the Claude Zidi film it is based on, "La Totale". But that was a movie that could be improved upon pretty easy. They took the core ideas of the original French film but had an American action film budget at their disposal to do them justice.

spejic repped this.
  3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, generally I agree, especially when the original is great.

But this weekend I saw the in-cinema presentation of the London stage production of An American in Paris. It was brilliant. Totally respectful of the original, but with a few changes (more detailed backstory of all the characters, introduction of new characters like the parents of Henri Barel, different presentation of some songs and a few other Gershwin songs not in the movie).

Granted, it's a stage adaptation of a classic MGM musical, and not technically a remake, but if this were to be turned into a movie, I'd go.*

Unless the dancing was going to be at La La Land level, that is.

Belgian guy repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Most sequels sucks. Most remakes suck. Most reboots suck.

Hollywood needs to import more foreign films. If it's good, people won't mind the subtitles. We'll endure them. But the films have to be good. Which even the worst marketing can somewhat get the appeal cross to you.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Then again; the cinema experience is dead and gone. Netflix, Hulu, AMC, Showtime and HBO are where it's at today. The best films are actually on tv today.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  6. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, it's actually a bit of a golden era for adequate budget films thanks to all those distribution systems. It just takes a little hunting and a willingness to experiment, but there is plenty of very original stuff coming out constantly.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Good point, though I meant that the best films were actually tv series on a Netflix or HBO.

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think I am probably in the minority for mostly liking "Solo" but in hindsight, it makes perfect sense that it underperformed. It is basically a western. In structure and in tropes. The dynamic between Han and Beckett mirrors that of Randolph Scott and Lee Marvin in "Seven Men From Now". It even has a train robbery, FFS. Solo ditching the Imperial army to join a gang of criminals has so many antecedents in westerns. What was the last western that did great business at the box office?

Quango, Ismitje, spejic and 1 other person repped this.
  9. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    #584 riverplate, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    2018 National Film Registry selections were announced last week...

National Film Registry Turns 30: 'Brokeback Mountain,' 'Jurassic Park,' 'My Fair Lady' Among Titles Added - Library of Congress
    https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-18-144/library-of-congress-national-film-registry-turns-30/2018-12-12/

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)
    Broadcast News (1987)
    Brokeback Mountain (2005)
    Cinderella (1950)
    Days of Wine and Roses (1962)
    Dixon-Wanamaker Expedition to Crow Agency (1908)
    Eve’s Bayou (1997)
    The Girl Without a Soul (1917)
    Hair Piece: A Film for Nappy-Headed People (1984)
    Hearts and Minds (1974)
    Hud (1963)
    The Informer (1935)
    Jurassic Park (1993)
    The Lady From Shanghai (1947)
    Leave Her to Heaven (1945)
    Monterey Pop (1968)
    My Fair Lady (1964)
    The Navigator (1924)
    On the Town (1949)
    One-Eyed Jacks (1961)
    Pickup on South Street (1953)
    Rebecca (1940)
    The Shining (1980)
    Smoke Signals (1998)
    Something Good – Negro Kiss (1898)

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The inclusion of Smoke Signals on the list got some good press in this part of the country, since is is based on life on the Spokane Indian Reservation north of here. Plus the author of the book on which it is based - The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven - is from local man Sherman Alexie.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  11. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What is this movie doing in the list? It doesn't even have the decency to be bad. It barely even exists. Its impact is so ephemeral you forget what it was about while watching it. What other movie has, nay requires, a coda whose only purpose is to tell you what you just slept through and how to feel about it?

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I watched Captain Marvel in the cinema wih the woman the other day. Thought the first half of the movie was pretty terrible, but after a major plot-twist midway through it does get a lot better. Overall a decent enough experience, but nothing that stands out.

That being said, as a feminist film it kinda failed to make an impression on me. The director might say that I wasn't the target audience, but having just rewatched Mad Max: Fury Road recently I regret to see that no lessons were learned for how to portray a strong female lead these days. Despite Hardy being the lead actor on paper I consider it to be Theron's film. Max is just along for the ride.

Captain Marvel's portrayal of a strong female lead on the other hand is just so clumsily put together. It is pitiful in comparison.

13. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That reminds me, I have to watch Atomic Blonde again. I recently got the 4k Blu-Ray delivered. The movie has its issues but Charlize Theron is so bad-ass in it, too. :inlove:

Please Hollywood, for the love of god give her more of these rugged roles!

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Those roles were originally the type Angelina could pull off (talented actresses with range being total Badasses). I can't think of anyone else who could have pulled off that role. Maybe the actress from Vikings?

Bazi repped this.
  15. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #590 Bazi, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Well, I prefer Atomic Blonde to Mr. and Mrs. Smith or Salt. But yeah, Angelina was a pioneer in these roles.

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    *coughs* Sigourney Weaver *coughs*

riverplate, Ismitje, spejic and 2 others repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I assumed he meant of this generation. You want 70 year old Sigourney trying to pull off a sexy platinum blonde spy role?

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Looks like Lupita Nyongo'o is circling those kinda films. It seems rare to have an A-list actress with range playing such roles. Can you imagine Julia Roberts in any of the action roles that Sharon Stone did?

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I was responding to the notion that Angelina Jolie was some sort of pioneer in those roles. ;)

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    My mistake. You're correct. Though I gotta imagine Jolie's acting range before Tomb Raider might have been far better than Weaver's pre-Alien. I'm too lazy to check.

21. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am really no ardent fan of hers but she portrayed strong women in action packed roles during a time in which women often were still mercilessly ridiculed and mocked for doing so. It's not like pioneering is over once one woman successfully does it.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I concur.

23. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noomi Rapace is very good in that role.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I really liked her in Dead Man Down and The Drop.

She had some recent Netflix film where was some bodyguard and she looked convincing as a BA.

25. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    P
    Close which is alright movie but she's good.

She has a Sci fi action on netflix called what happened to Monday which is good