A New Fan's View on Wizards/MLS

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by banker6901, Dec 15, 2007.

1. banker6901

banker6901 Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Lawrence
    I consider myself a new "fan" of the Wizards. I played competitive soccer growing up through college and I have followed them lightly from the start of the MLS and have gone to several games each year when I lived in the area. But I never became a "diehard" fan because I never felt the quality of the MLS was that good. I guess you could say I was a "eurosnob", I grew up watching those leagues on TV and could not get past the differences in the play or atmosphere. I was always excited KC had a pro soccer team, but not to the point of actually supporting it.

After my wife and I moved back to the KC area 4 years ago, I again tried to go to few games each year, but finally stopped because I could not get over the fact of playing games at Arrowhead (a huge stadium, with a small crowd = poor atmosphere). Even when you have 20,000 fans in the stadium it still seemed empty. I have always admired "the Cauldron" because they do a great job of getting into the game, supporting the team and making noise, but they cannot even change the atmosphere totally at that stadium. So I followed the league from a far, but the last couple of years really started to see some strides being made in the MLS and the Wizards.

I was thrilled the Wizards were sold to an ownership group that had real plans to take the club forward and had a vision. I still cannot believe that members of that ownership group will even post on BS. This paired with the growing quality of product on the field in the MLS, I found myself watching more and more MLS games to the point I said if they ever get out of Arrowhead, I will get season tickets.

I am looking forward to next season at CAB, as I am getting season tickets, it should be a great temporary location with a more intimate atmosphere. I cannot wait for the new stadium and I am looking forward to being a longtime Wizards season ticket holder and supporter. So thanks, to all the fans who have been there from the beginning that kept supporting the team, to allow fans like me to come around a join you. It makes me wonder if there are more fans like me out there, just waiting to make that transition. No matter if you are a diehard or casual fan, the end goal should be the same, go have fun and support the wizards. March 29th cannot come soon enough, sorry for the long post.

2. FRYE!

FRYE! New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    KC

we need more of this attitude around here. rep to you!

3. KC outlaws

KC outlaws New Member

Sep 5, 2006
    O-Town
    Welcome aboard banker. Like you I wasn't really interested in MLS until after World Cup '06 when things seemed to be on the up. Hopefully the trend of fans like you and I will continue so when the new 18,500 opens up it will be filled up (and hopefully I can afford season tickets by then :)

4. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    welcome banker. you bring up something to think about. atmosphere is what the fans make of it. those who avoid going to mls games because of lack of atmosphere are one less fan that can contribute to said atmosphere.

5. banker6901

banker6901 Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Lawrence
    I totally agree, the trick is getting those fans who were like me, hooked to the Wizards and MLS to add to that atmosphere. I believe that will be the key in the MLS next stage of progression to reach out and secure that next level of fans to continue growth and increase the experience at games that groups like the Cauldron have started. How this can be done is the question.

6. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel that if you simply get an existing soccer fan but not MLS/Wizards fan to a good Wizards game at home, esp. in the Cauldron, that you'll have a new Wizards fan by the end of the game 8/10 times. Like the NY, Chivas, 2nd Columbus and Chicago games from last year (ironically all ending 3-2). Games like that demonstrate that even though the MLS may not have the talent of the EPL.. the games can still be damn exciting and supporting your local team, going to the games live and being a part of the experience makes up for anything that they may think the MLS lacks.

I'm not too worried about existing soccer but not MLS fans too much though - I think that even if they don't come out to CAB, when the stadium is built they will be curious and then they will be hooked. I'm always wondering how we can go about convincing those who know about the game but don't follow it much to give it a shot or two... and how to get the soccer uneducated population... well, educated about it.

That being said - welcome to the ranks of the Wizards fans... you'll be glad you joined.

7. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, because it's the only sports team in the area that has a prayer of being successful.

8. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Another new fan located in Lawrence. I'm starting to wonder if we should move the Wizards there. :D Hopefully we'll have a lot more from there next year as the temp stadium will be so much closer.

Welcome banker. I think parts of your story are pretty universal with how existing soccer fans eventually discover they can enjoy the Wizards and MLS.

The change from a few games that I sort of enjoyed to hardcore fan came in about 2003. I had developed an interest in the pro game since the US qualified for Italy in 1990, but it took another 13 years for me to really support my local club.

Finding the gameday experience that being in the middle of the Cauldron provides (even with 70,000 empty seats) was a big part of that conversion. The continuous improvement of the American player and the good showing by MLS players at the 2002 World Cup also helped for me. It might have been easier for me than some because I never had an overseas club team that I lived and died with. I just loved the game and followed a lot of teams.

Where are your seats next year?

9. banker6901

banker6901 Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Lawrence
    My seats are in section 111, third row from the top.

10. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the family of Wizards fans!! Here's hoping we can entice you and your wife into moving into the Cauldron eventually!

11. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I really think the league grew significantly this year with Becks/Blanco/Angel and the ownership/stadium stuff but that still hasn't shown up on the bottom line yet. Even if the curious are not yet buying tickets, MLS is starting to keep their interest longer.

I was thinking about this the other day when I met some Hispanic soccer fans that don't come to games, wanting to talk about Jared Borgetti to KC rumors they read about through Spanish media. Every bit of legitimacy helps.

12. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the first step, and probably the most important at this stage of the game. you're absolutely right.

13. banker6901

banker6901 Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Lawrence
    You never know, sometime we might have to try it out. Although I have to say I am little cautious about the dynamic after seeing different threads on the forums recently. Hopefully that is because it is the off-season and the new issues of moving into a new stadium.

I think nationally the league is growing and more in the mainstream (Becks being probably the biggest reason), but I am still disappointed by the local coverage, it still seems like an afterthought to cover the Wizards. I can't remember how many people I talked to this year who did not even realize the Wizards played in a pro league. I guess that is part of our job as well to educate the uneducated.

14. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a battle alot of us have been frighting for the last 11 seasons. Welcome to the boards and hopefully you will give the cauldron a try and I sure you will not be displeased.

15. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    That dynamic comes mostly from the original core of 50 that tried to build a supporters section during HSG's run. They have all the pride that comes with that, as well as the bitterness and frustration.

Those people have been through so much with the team being sold/relocated, 12 years of attendance jokes, 4,000 people in the stadium, that we're like family.

And that means we feel comfortable fighting like family. Passing blame, arguing over who did what etc. If you've ever had brothers or sisters, you know the drill. There were times literally where we were so close to the situation, we knew we were within days of losing the team.

When it comes to gametime though, I think we bring it stronger per capita than any group in the league. I'm hoping this is the year that leadership and membership makes that real push to grow the section with some coordinated efforts this offseason. Diluting that perception with new members should be our highest priority.

I want us to go to some college campuses. Hit up the highschools (leave Sabotage behind for the kids sake), the indoor soccer meccas, outdoor kickarounds, the whole 9 yards.