A Moment For Reflection

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Joel Goodson, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Joel Goodson

Joel Goodson Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been thinking that we are not making enough of a deal out of the fact that there were 5 (should have been 6) YA's in the squads today of three of the biggest clubs in soccer. Not only are they YA's, but they're all younger than 25. What does that say for the future of the sport in America? (Please keep the Rossi criticisms out of the mix for a minute).

Perhaps Project 2010 is not a pipe dream. There are sure to be more Americans going abroad in the next few years that will add to the numbers already playing at big clubs. For those of us who have been around since WC90 this is an amazing feat!

You may go back to what you were doing.

2. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    The velocity in which this happened is quite remarkable. Literally, several of those players were not on the 'radar' per se even less than 2 years ago...

3. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Not really a reflection of Project 2010.

For all those players:

Spector is part of US youth club development and Project 2010 (U-17 training).

Rossi is part of US youth club development but not Project 2010.

Whitbread is not any part of US development (England).

Simak is not any part of US development (he did play few years, but mostly England).

Karb is part of US youth club development but not Project 2010.

Howard is MLS and not Project 2010.

But if you look back, the Project 2010 did on

Donovan, Beasley, Onyewu, Convey on first wave

E. Johnson, Magee, Quaranta, Mapp, Capano, Marshall on second wave

Szetela, Gaven, Memo, Adu on third wave

Clark, Dempsey are never in the Project.

Looks we need to A LOT of BETTER job to make it a real success.

4. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    For those of us here since 78 it is hard to comprehend.

Then again, I now live in a country where the number 1 & 2 reasons that 71% of the people who voted for GW Bush was because he is a devout Christian (well at least after he partied his ass of for 40 years) - oops, I mean Family Values:rolleyes:

I live in a religous state...who knew? How sad. Just like all of those gov'ts in the Middle East we make fun of and look down on.

5. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Since i'm in the negative rep anyway i'll go ahead and say this is the most off topic rant ever. Since we're talking about trends I'll just add that maybe the reason we're getting better at soccer is the republican trend in the country. Oh wait, it makes no sense to try and argue politics on an internet soccer forum.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    1990 is a good starting point though. I don't ever recall hearing much about the US National team before that. Yanks Abroad? What Yanks abroad?

7. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Politics board...

8. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    No.

Lui puo' semplicemente bruciare nell'inferno per l'eternita'...traditore di merda.

I'm pretty sure he'll understand that.

9. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Of those guys above, obviously Spector will/has played for the USMNT. I know that Rossi is playing for the youth Italian teams so we probably won't get him. Whitbread has lived in England almost his whole life so I can't see him playing. But what about Simak? Is he of English parents or something like Whitbread? Who is Karb and where does he play?

Thanks,
    Eddie

10. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    But how do you REALLY feel?

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah, so's yo' mamma!

:D

12. Joel Goodson

Joel Goodson Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mentioned Project 2010 because of its stated intent to have the US win the World Cup. Back in 1994/1995 when the concept was born, 2010 seemed so far in the future that winning the WC then did not seem that implausible.

Fast forward to 2005 and we should be reasonably pleased with the progress US Soccer has made. Players who have not even gone through Project 2010 are playing with some of the bigegst clubs in the world.

I just think it deserves a brief smile.

13. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Still, when you compare the growth of us soccer players playing abroad to Australia, a couple of Asian and African countries, suddenly, it doesn't look so explosive. Hell, maybe someone with more knowledge can either support this or tell me I'm wrong, but in the players abroad category, we're not really ahead of even Canada.

14. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Perhaps this is because of the fact we actually have a decent domestic league. If you are from Canada, you really have to play abroad.

15. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Rossi is the only guy that would jump ship and play with Italy. The rest I wouldn't worry about. If we ever need them they'll be there.

16. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Its one thing to be off topic, but to be so wildly off base on an off topic post is something.

Erm, about the game - remember, most youth players for big teams in England NEVER MAKE IT. Who was the last ManUtd player to graduate to the senior team and become an established first choice player? That's right David Beckham, almot a decade ago. (Arsenal's record of developing youth under Wenger is much worse. Aside from Cole, none of their starters came through the youth ranks, unless you want to argue Toure.) So lets hold off a bit until we see at least one of them as first choice for a large English side? Thus far only US player has had that chance, and Howard didn't really take it. Juan Eduardo Esnaider was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, and even played like it in junior tournaments. Does anyone know where he is now? And if we want another example, remember how the rotation of Pulsipher, Isringhousen and Wilson were going to take the Mets to the World Series? Yeah.
    Enthusiasm's great, but lets temper it a bit until we actually see some results, rather than projections? For all that we did very well in 2002, we finished dead last in 98.

17. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    I doubt anyone is going to argue those points--hey, we could finish dead last in '06. But the issue, I gather, is that the outlook certainly appears much better than it previously has for US soccer and the players.

The team reached the Quarterfinals of WC'02 without anyone playing for a top team with European success. So, add one or two in the current cycle, two or three more next cycle...Greece just won Euro'04 with nearly the same player situation as USA has now.

Project 2010 and the youth set-up is bearing some fruit--that's all that was recognized.

"BigSoccer's resident wet blanket," more likely, eh?

18. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Before we had MLS, we weren't doing that well abroad either.

19. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Cynic/realist, if you prefer. The projections of "we're doing great" get annoying after you realize they're based off of 15 players who've never done anything meaningful at the senior level and one WC performance that would be statistically aberrational (and one which included some rather harrowing ancillary stats, like goal differential) if looked at over a long course.
    I know, we're improving. And that's great. But so is everyone else.
    P.S. I've been told to avoid being my amusing sarcastic self on this board, due to some people's touchy feelings. ;) However, Sachin did give me neg rep for reminding him of how the Mets suck. :D

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Please.

I diss Claudio in '01, call Bruce Arena the world's luckiest man in '02, piss on Freddy's birth certificate in '03, and ponder in '04 how the most-capped U.S. international in the previous year (Convey) can't even make a Colaship squad. Oh, yeah, and predict a first-round '06 departure for team U.S.A.

The title is mine.

But at least you can't call me the dumbest poster. We'll reserve that for sinner ronald monk, who calls me "Sam's Army."

21. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You don't think Whitbread would play for England? I know they are obviously stacked with central defenders but given the choice I think he would choose England. Though with Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, etc I don't know he would get a sniff of first time action for awhile.

What's Rossi's deal? He has an Italian father? Did he grow up in Italy? I think that that should play more of a role in your decision rahter than where you were born. For instance, if Rossi was born in NJ, lived there until 15 then went to Italy, it would be weak for him to play for Italy over the US.

I really think some more tougher regulations need to be set. These "free agent internations" is getting out of hand. Jason Euell now plays for Jamaica because his parents are from there, Viduka plays for Australia, Viera for Italy, Hargreaves, etc. It's getting out of hand. With there world becoming a smaller and smaller place this is going to happen more often as people of different cultures continue to mix.

22. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny Karbassiyoon plays for Arsenal's reserve/youth program. He has played for Arsenal recently in Carling Cup.

23. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Duh, I should have thought him. I know who he is, he played yesterday.

What's his story?

24. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Danny's Dad is from Iran after Revolution. Of course, not everyone who left Iran that time are hardcore anti new government but from the newspaper article, his Dad is one of people who really hate the new government (the paper can be wrong though). His Mom is Italian heritage so that's where his Euro passport coming from. Danney is in E. Johnson's age group and played as a forward. In that time, Ellinger identified Johnson, Quaranta, Magee and Diaz as top forwards. So there are two good forwards never get into National team level--one is Danny, and one is Kenny Cooper. Danny won MVP in the Adidas tournament, and get a contract from Arsenal, Cooper got a contract from Manchester United. Later on, Danny is converted to left back (and also capable to play left midfield). He is very fast and has good offense skill, but need to work more on defense ability.

Simak was born in USA and moved to England at a young age then joined Arsenal youth program. At some time, he moved back to USA for few years, then went back to England and joined Arsenal youth team again. He played center back and right back.

25. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Thanks for the info. I am admittedly not as up on US football and MLS as I should be. I tend to only watch the EPL and USMNT matches. I'm bad American but atleast I voted for Kerry.