A major/important Stadium announment will be aired this Friday.

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Juan Luis Guerra, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCNJFan

TCNJFan New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Fairborn, OH
    A 30,000 seat stadium might be overkill for the NJAC tournament. :) And it's location isn't really central to all of the NJAC teams.

A stadium without a stage could work for a lot of things. Besides all types of soccer, D-1 Lacrosse regionals (currently held in Princeton's 27,000-seat stadium) and international rugby come to mind. I also think that the D-II/III Lacrosse Championships draw crowds of 20,000-30,000 people.

2. JerseyTexan

JerseyTexan New Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Damn, is it just me or is there actually quite alot of action going on on the webcam? They have 6 cranes going at once right now.

3. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    You're right. Suddenly there seems to be some serious movement on the ground.
    :D

Red Bull was able to have their grand opening for the expanded Bulls Arena in Salzburg yesterday, so now they can focus on making Red Bull Park the finest soccer cathedral in North America!

And you can see the change (right there on the webcam).

4. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    It's been like that today & yesterday. Now they are really moving. RED BULL PARK IS ON IT'S WAY TO BEING BUILT! :cool: :D

5. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    As a neutral, I think this is terrific news for RBNY and its fans. You are about to get the best stadium in MLS -- it isn't going to even be close IMO. I wouldn't expect a huge increase in capacity, just the conversion of the stage into more seating with the basic footprint staying the same, but it will now go much faster IMO. Recall the whispers that the stadium was delayed in part over a dispute over who would pay the cost of the roof, which RB wanted. That is now resolved.

Even more importantly, I think this signals a change in strategy for Red Bull. They have now jumped in with both feet and spent another $50 million plus to do it. My guess is that RB is watching what is happening in LA and coming to the conclusion that to succeed in the New York market they will have to spend some real money. If that is the case, the rumors linking them to Capello and making an offer to Inzaghi suddenly don't seem that far-fetched. The Galaxy have doubled or tripled in value in the past six months and the New York market is every bit as good, but they will need some star power to fill this new stadium.

It may be smaller, but you are going to get a world class facility (equivalent of a UEFA four star rating). Don't be surprised if Red Bull doesn't quickly add a world class coach and a world class player or two into the mix. The sleeping giant that is the potential for soccer in New York is starting to wake up in the nation's most important media market.

And it is going to be huge.

6. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't have to be central. Usually they pick "host" schools. So RBP could host it if they wanted to I'm sure.

7. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Agreed. But we do have a world class coach and a world class player or two in the mix already. ;) I think Il Bruce is a leading force with these major initiatives. Capello doesn't understand the American player as well as Arena. No one does. That's why he's the best man for the job. If Capello's now back from the Himalayas, I'm sure plenty of clubs will be calling him for all sorts of reasons. But Arena's done nothing to put his job in jeapordy. Far from it. We're on the ups!

8. TCNJFan

TCNJFan New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Fairborn, OH
    Actually, with the NJAC, I believe that the higher seeded team in each match hosts that match. So, if NJCU were to host to be the highest seed in all of their matches, I guess that they could play there, but at most they'd draw 500 spectators.

9. MasterShake

MasterShake New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY Ukraine
    Red Bull Park Reality TV show, whos up for it??

Maybe we can get Lindsay Lohan to host it, since the park is as dirty as she is..:rolleyes:

10. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I've been to games there a couple of times, albeit before the expansion. It's alright - a bit sterile, but I guess compared to the Swamp it must be like Mecca for a Metros fan.

But it's not even my favorite stadium in Austria in terms of character and ambiance.

11. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    never been a fan of this logic. jpa isn't an american player, neither is claudio, as most of his playing time has been in europe, or waterreus, dvb, richards...

how about we just get a coach that understands the soccer player, whether he's american, european or latin. i'm not saying that bruce doesn't, i'm just saying its bad logic for not wanting a coach that been coaching in one of the top 3 leagues in the world.

12. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    The problem isn't the Americn player -- Carlos Quiroz had no trouble with American players during his stint with Metro -- its the manner of getting players through MLS and the slary cap that cause problems for foreign coaches. The ways of MLS are so different from what they know, that the tend to get knocked off kilter. I think that was part of Chivas' problem their first season.

13. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    Don't get too hung up on the Capello example -- who knows if he would even come? The underlying point is that I strongly believe you will get a couple more big names added to the RBNY roster and/or coaching staff by the time the team moves into its new digs.

14. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found some pictures of the new expanded 32,800 seat Red Bull Salzburg stadium, open link and click on the 2nd picture of the stadium you'll find 15 pictures there! I think Red Bull Park is an improved version of the Salzburg stadium

http://www.salzburg.com/nwas/index.php

15. MasterShake

MasterShake New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY Ukraine
    thanks.. here is a more specific link straight to the pictures.. since i had some problems finding them following the original link.

http://www.salzburg.com/sn/nwas/PictureGallery_scom3/PHP-Files/Gallery.php?PicNr=0&ref=4yj*wpc0a4ool$yghwd2teh

16. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Nothin wrong with that! :p

17. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    Those are great photos. With the steep stands fans will be right on top of the action and clear panels used in the roof let in plenty of light.

Outstanding.

Here are some more from the official Stadium website:

http://www.stadion.at/

Under "Stadion" click on "Aufstockung für die EM 2008" and then click Fotos for the most recent pics.

18. TCNJFan

TCNJFan New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Fairborn, OH
  19. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    We've had a World Cup winning coach here for chrissakes (didn't do us any good). Bruce hasn't been in charge for a year yet. He's doing very well.

No one's been more successful than Il Bruce in terms of American soccer. Fact. So I really don't believe RB would consider letting him go for Capello, or anyone else for that matter, at present.

I do appreciate the sentiment that big names are on the way. When Red Bull Park opens, I'm confident the club will finally get the major attention it deserves.

20. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    i don't disagree...but maybe it should be understanding the american system vs. the american player.

problem with most of the american players is that they can't play the game of soccer at the same level as their european or latin counterparts.

21. CGoal

CGoal Member

May 2, 2001
    Kearny, NJ - USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't have been that long. They've been going great guns on the site for the past two days, finally crushing all that rubble and moving it out.

23. TCNJFan

TCNJFan New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Fairborn, OH
    Direct Link

http://www.salzburg.gv.at/themen/bw/stadion/aufstockung/umbau.htm

24. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus, look at the progress in one day of work! The area is so much cleaner now it's amazing. Foundation work should start very soon!

I'd absolutely love any opening in '08.

25. kahlva

kahlva New Member

Feb 2, 2007