A major/important Stadium announment will be aired this Friday.

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Juan Luis Guerra, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Red Bulls philosiphy is simple. "You want to do it right, you gotta do it yourself." Bye bye AEG!

2. twelfth man

twelfth man New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Connecticut
    Agree 100%

3. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    A very good sign. REd Bull fans should be pleased with this development.

4. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they pull through with those plans, Red Bull Park will be a pretty sweet venue. It'll easily be the jewel of MLS.

5. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if there are disagreements, clearly things could not move on. Someone has to pay the bill and everyday work costs money. Now if RB mentioned a buy out AEG just put everything on hold

THis is GREAT news, i hate the stage designed stadiums, Thanks God this people are from Europe !!!!!!

6. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    that sounds promesing.....

7. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    I agree that the stadia that have come out so far with stages look sketchy... but I don't understand why one could not have a fully roofed end with rollout bleachers (like one would see in a major college basketball stadium) that rolls out over a platform. The platform would be a stage when the stands were retracted and the roof would be the roof of the stage. Put 5 rows of permanent seats in front of the stage (behind the goal) and put the supporters groups in the bleachers/terrace over the stage and you wouldn't even know there was a stage there... sure, rows 6-25 (or whatever) would be retractible bleachers (who sits anyway) but these things are loud and good for supporter's sections (see Duke basketball)... I would bet that 90% of the people in the stadium wouldn't even know that there was a stage...

Yes, the stadium is better without it... but the stadium might well not be as financially viable (and that is equally important if soccer is to survive and prosper)... I also have seen what putting a temporary stage on a field does to the surface... and just because this stadium does not have a stage, please don't delude yourself into believing that it will not attempt to stage concerts, etc...

rand

8. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    well, its clear from this news that red bull care about presentation of its product.

putting a team out with their logo, and field boards with their logo, and a crappy field ruined by a concert series or a monster truck rally is clearly not acceptable to them. i think that's awesome.

they want their brand to be presented the way they want it presented. advertised the way they want, etc.

good for them. if they didn't have a team in austria, i'd be concerned, but it seems that they are in this 1000%.

i just think they may define success differently than most of us. we're focusing on the dollars, they may be focusing on market exposure, which to them, is an expense. ie...if our team is winning, playing in the best stadium, and people walk away impressed, i don't think they'll care all that much if they lose 50 million in the process, cause it seems like they'll spend that on billboards or commercials in a second.

sooner or later, they'll sign a beckham type player and he'll be running around in a red bull logo. that's worth a lot.

let's not only hope and concentrate that revenue > expenses.

9. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might, but I would imagine most concerts would go to the Prudential Center next door.

10. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand why they can't make the seats behind one of the goals retractable and that area easily convertible into a stage for special events, it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to do. The Metrodome in Minneapolis has nice chairs with armrests and everything that retract to make way for the baseball setup. You just bring in the speaker stacks and stage roof and lighting when they are necessary. It may add some additional cost but it wouldn't be an unbearable cost.

11. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

So much so, that they have just a bare bones contract with MSG, and that their advertising was close to zero at the start of the season.

12. MasterShake

MasterShake New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY Ukraine
    why advertise NYRB when the games are held at the Swamp, most people even if they do go out for a game at the swamp, leave with a bad aftertaste.

im of the people who think RB are waiting to pour money into marketing when theres a state of the art stadium to fill up.

13. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY

exactly. its embarassing in a way.

if you want someone to watch an mls game, you give them a televised LA game at the HDC, not a Red Bull game at the swamp.

14. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Why not? They did it at the start, and changed their mind like a person with bipolar disorder. Or maybe the term is schizophrenia.

Don't get me wrong, I love this team. I don't really care much for their FO, though (except my ticket rep, who is the biggest help in the world; probably gets paid next to nothing for doing twice his responsibilities). And frankly, neither did a lot of people around here, until they removed the stage. Now everything is forgiven. I don't get it.

15. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    To answer to your question, let me tell you that the reason why New York Redbulls dont want the stage or retractable seats behind the goal is because they dont need that "extra cash revenuews" due to concerts or other events. I dont even want American football in there. Let's keep our field just open for Soccer or Futbolllllllllllllllllllllllllll and that's it.

16. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, I know!

We need to build a stage on wheels that can be parked behind the stadium. Then, for concerts, it can be pulled behind a big tractor to whereever it makes the most sense to set up the musicians. It'll be like a big wagon. Yeah, a band wagon, built for the fans that think soccer is not enough.

17. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they have the spades out today after a few weeks of nothing happening.

18. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    And with MSG next season they will bring back the pre-game & post Game shows & the Metro Soccer Report. Remember it's a two year deal with MSG and they got it finalized too late. That's why you only see the games & not the extra stuff.

Next year the extra stuff will return.

But I agree with Red Bull & the majority. No stage at one of the ends. Don't want the field to be ruined.

19. MasterShake

MasterShake New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY Ukraine
    i understand what youre saying, and for what its worth i still dont like the FO. However every relationship has to be rebuilt slowly, and if this rumour of a buy-out is true, then we should applaud RB for taking a step in the right direction.

I assure you marketing will come as soon as the stadium is build, and it is in their best interest to have it build as fast as possible, so they can start getting return on their investment.

There is no point of spending money on marketing now if a new stadium will open somewhere else, they would lose half of the people they would have picked up during marking due to a new location (some people may not want to go there..etc)

Why invite potential club fans into a crappy stadium with the feel of a ghost town, usually people decide to come back when they have a good experience at the game. A good experience consists of easy commute, nice to look at stadium, cozy feeling, exciting atmosphere and good level of play on the field. I am sure RBP will be able to provide all of that except maybe for the last part.

I speak from experience, i dragged some of my non-soccer friends to a game and they did not like the emptiness, the dirtiness, the overall large and uncomfortable feel of the stadium for such a small and compact game.

Soccer is not just about coming out to see the beautiful game,but coming out and enjoying it in an electric atmosphere. The better the atmosphere the more people want to come back and participate. And as much as we are all passionate about our Red Bulls, it is a little difficult to portray it in an 80k seating stadium.

sorry im just ranting.

20. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe, with the Pru Center opening this fall and four other major NYC sports venues planned to open in the next 5-6 years (CitiField, Yankee Stadium, new GS, new MSG) and the re-emergence of Randalls Island as a summer outdoor concert venue, there just aren't expected to be enough concert tours hitting RBP to justify building a permanent stage and giving up the seat revenue from core sporting events. Mateschitz isn't stupid; he'll monetize the stadium with whatever he can -- women's soccer, outdoor lacrosse, X Games, NJ high school football & soccer finals, anything. Don't kid yourself about keeping RBP "pure" for MLS matches.

21. MasterShake

MasterShake New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY Ukraine
    i agree with this, but all that is still better than all that + stage ;)

22. Journeyman

Journeyman Member

Jul 23, 2007
    New Jersey
    Now, there's a big man. All too rare on BS. Thanks

23. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since you seem to be somewhat in the know, do you know if the newer design is an increased capacity, or if there will be new renderings?

24. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    you sure you don't work in the FO? LOL. I think this is exactly what they are doing. Why sour potential customers in a miserable venue and lose them forever? Go after them when you have the product you want in place.

25. Journeyman

Journeyman Member

Jul 23, 2007
    New Jersey
    Sorry, I don't know. A friend of mine is a reporter who did an interview last week and was told that Redbull are buying out AEG beacuse of disputes over the stadium design and that the wanted to make it like their Salzburg stadium. Maybe it's just in design (e.g. full roof, no stage) and maybe it has to do with capacity. He didn't get that specific.