A Look At History: POCM Covers

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by The Magpie, Nov 1, 2004.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    It's still a work-in-progress people, but I'm in the process of scanning every front cover of Pictures of Chairman Mao (POCM) so that Revolution fans unfamiliar with the publication can get some glimpse into a unique period in Revolution supporters' history.

Pictures of Chairman Mao was a soccer/football/futbol fanzine that was produced by and for supporters of the New England Revolution over five years from 1996 - 2000.

Below is the cover from the Vol. 2, No. 4; July, 1997, "Special Super Terrific Happy Issue":

[​IMG]

You may find those covers I've been able to scan here, along with a review of POCM in the U.K. football magazine When Saturday Comes.

http://www.pbase.com/ewhitney/pocm

Enjoy!

The Magpie

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please say Pics is coming back.

This is the kind of work that doesn't make money, but I think the community should support it because it's invaluable for fans.

3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every issue was a "Special" something-or-other issue. There was one time toward the end of our run when we did a "Special you'll miss us when we're gone" issue.

Thanks for the platitudes, Jeremy, but we ain't coming back. It's kind of like a band who had their day, and then the various members went off on solo careers, movie stardom, substance abuse, and whatever else bands do after they have had their time of critical (but not necessarily commercial) success. We did a "reunion gig" a couple of years ago for MLS Cup 2002 as a collaboration with the Emrald City Gazette, a.k.a. Son of Mao, but that was a one off project.

You can't recreate something that was a product of its time, otherwise you get things with all the quality of any Hollywood movie with a numeral after it. POCM was a special zine in it's day, but that day is over. Of the five most prominent contributors, two haven't been to a Revs game for who knows how long. The Magpie, Comrade Foley and I are still involved to varioius degrees, but we can't recreate what once was.

I can't recall the exact word, but there's a Portuguese expression that means longing for a past that never was, and that's what any talk of a POCM revival reminds me of.

In the meantime, if you miss Mao, subscribe to Andy Mead's excellent ECG. It's not just for Wizards supporters any more.

Tom

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take it you haven't seen Mission of Burma live lately.

Just because most of the time, groups that make a later appearance are crap, doesn't mean that it can't happen and be "right" again.

Ah well :(

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  6. Allez_Zizou

Allez_Zizou New Member

May 24, 2002
    Metro Fan in Boston
    The word is probably "Saudades," literally meaning "to miss."

Anyway, I loved POCM and I just want everyone involved to know that your creativity and humor were so appreciated.

7. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing like soccer sunday mornings with a cup of coffee in a PoCM commemorative mug (all 32 covers) :D

[​IMG]

Go Revs,
    Alan